T Nation

What Happened to Kevin Levrone

this movie is pretty funny maybe he is trying slowly to get into a new medium in film. But he looks quite a bit different from the glory days.

Dude, use the search button. I think this is now the fifth thread for this video in the last month.

/thread

you should have seen the stuff that was said over on Dr. Dardens site about this.

Now i respect the hell out of Darden, but the people over there acted like this was finally the proof they needed to show that HVT was the devil, and once you stopped training all your muscle would turn to fat.

It was ugly.

–JB

What has happened this man?

He is smaller than me now… and he looks like shit.

???

I can see this as a good thing too.

perhaps he doesnt want to be heading into the older years of his life trying to maintain a 260lb muscle bound frame, and still not win an olympia.

he could get in great shape if he wanted and not be walking round like a pumped up freak. its ok when you are 25 doing that but I dont think pumping juice into you and hittin the iron 2-3 hours a day like these guys do is good at 50+.

kev has lived the bodybuilding dream, he was a freak at one time, and now he wants to live normally.

i can respect that

The thing is, if he decided he wanted to look likea “freak” again, the man could step on stage in a top level bodybuilding competition in a matter of months and hold his own.

He is a genetic freak, man’s got muscle memory that puts Viator to shame.

Kev has stated on the record that when he went to get in shape he kept interest in the process because he would grow larger and more muscular while dropping bodyfat at the same time…He could see the changes week by week, dropping between 3-5 pounds of fat while gaining an almost equal amount of muscle, this, mind you, within a matter of months before a contest. This is the ideal scenario for musclebuilding and I would give my left nut to be able to do the same but that is not in the genetic cards for me and most of the lifters out there, including pro’s!. So what is the take home message here?. Genetics…period, end of story. Levrone is “supra-human”, we are not…Deal with it…

He still doesn’t look terrible. He’s a little out of shape but whatever, he’s achieved more than most people ever do in this field. Let him have a break.

This reminds me of people saying how shameful it is that Sergio Olivia is out of shape at the age of three hundred and fifty.

Just like it was said on the other 13,283,392 threads for this video, he dropped the weight to try and get a career in acting.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Just like it was said on the other 13,283,392 threads for this video, he dropped the weight to try and get a career in acting.[/quote]

thats kinda silly. i think hed have an easier time with a half decent physique, even by Hollywood standards.

if the guy doesnt want to lift anymore though i can respect it. like Irish said earlier its really tough to do this stuff day in and out for decades especially when youre older and he has achieved quite a lot. although i can see what people mean about him slipping. id think someone with a bodybuilder mentality would at least want to stay in beach body shape.

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
Kev has stated on the record that when he went to get in shape he kept interest in the process because he would grow larger and more muscular while dropping bodyfat at the same time…He could see the changes week by week, dropping between 3-5 pounds of fat while gaining an almost equal amount of muscle, this, mind you, within a matter of months before a contest. This is the ideal scenario for musclebuilding and I would give my left nut to be able to do the same but that is not in the genetic cards for me and most of the lifters out there, including pro’s!. So what is the take home message here?. Genetics…period, end of story. Levrone is “supra-human”, we are not…Deal with it…[/quote]

Maybe i am a ronnie hater through and through, but jesus, levrones physique is 10x the physique of ronnies in this pic

Better lines, more ‘pop’, separation, aesthetic… just… BETTER!

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
Kev has stated on the record that when he went to get in shape he kept interest in the process because he would grow larger and more muscular while dropping bodyfat at the same time…He could see the changes week by week, dropping between 3-5 pounds of fat while gaining an almost equal amount of muscle, this, mind you, within a matter of months before a contest. This is the ideal scenario for musclebuilding and I would give my left nut to be able to do the same but that is not in the genetic cards for me and most of the lifters out there, including pro’s!. So what is the take home message here?. Genetics…period, end of story. Levrone is “supra-human”, we are not…Deal with it…[/quote]

EVERYTING YOU JUST SAID…is complete bullshit to me…the best BB IMO are natural ectomorphs, with super high fast metabolism…just like me…I was so frustrated with that…but I realilze that now…so deal with that, kevin is a natural skinny, dorian was, and most of all FLEX AND DEX are both ectomorphs they said it themself!

[quote]Marko Begu? wrote:
Blacksnake wrote:
Kev has stated on the record that when he went to get in shape he kept interest in the process because he would grow larger and more muscular while dropping bodyfat at the same time

He could see the changes week by week, dropping between 3-5 pounds of fat while gaining an almost equal amount of muscle, this, mind you, within a matter of months before a contest. This is the ideal scenario for musclebuilding and I would give my left nut to be able to do the same but that is not in the genetic cards for me and most of the lifters out there, including pro’s!. So what is the take home message here?.

Genetics…period, end of story. Levrone is “supra-human”, we are not…Deal with it…

EVERYTING YOU JUST SAID…is complete bullshit to me…the best BB IMO are natural ectomorphs, with super high fast metabolism…just like me…I was so frustrated with that…but I realilze that now…so deal with that, kevin is a natural skinny, dorian was, and most of all FLEX AND DEX are both ectomorphs they said it themself![/quote]

Really? You think Kevin is a naturally skinny dude? There’s no naturally skinny guy with such superhuman muscle-rebound.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
Marko Begu? wrote:
Blacksnake wrote:
Kev has stated on the record that when he went to get in shape he kept interest in the process because he would grow larger and more muscular while dropping bodyfat at the same time

He could see the changes week by week, dropping between 3-5 pounds of fat while gaining an almost equal amount of muscle, this, mind you, within a matter of [i]months before a contest.

This is the ideal scenario for musclebuilding[/i] and I would give my left nut to be able to do the same but that is not in the genetic cards for me and most of the lifters out there, including pro’s!. So what is the take home message here?. Genetics…period, end of story. Levrone is “supra-human”, we are not…Deal with it…

EVERYTING YOU JUST SAID…is complete bullshit to me…the best BB IMO are natural ectomorphs, with super high fast metabolism…just like me…I was so frustrated with that…but I realilze that now…so deal with that, kevin is a natural skinny, dorian was, and most of all FLEX AND DEX are both ectomorphs they said it themself!

Really? You think Kevin is a naturally skinny dude? There’s no naturally skinny guy with such superhuman muscle-rebound.

[/quote]

He trained up to that size normally like everyone else before his pro career.

He relied on his muscle-memory after that, for every olympia.
After the year’s main event he would shrink, eating normally.

Then some time before whatever show he wanted to do he dieted up again. He’d already been huge before, so muscle-memory took care of most of it (regaining strength for reps very fast, increased metabolism, and yeah, anabolics helped the strength gain too)

He surpassed his previous top-size a bit almost every time he dieted up again by increasing his best lifts a little past the previous bests from other instances where he dieted up…

As far as I know he was a fairly ordinary skinny guy at the beginning.

His muscle-memory may work faster/better than that of other people… I don’t know, he trained way heavier than most and was always focused on progression…

And what is naturally skinny? Someone with a hyperactive thyroid may be “naturally skinny”…

[not really a direct response to the above posters as such]

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
SSC wrote:
Just like it was said on the other 13,283,392 threads for this video, he dropped the weight to try and get a career in acting.

thats kinda silly. i think hed have an easier time with a half decent physique, even by Hollywood standards.

if the guy doesnt want to lift anymore though i can respect it. like Irish said earlier its really tough to do this stuff day in and out for decades especially when youre older and he has achieved quite a lot. although i can see what people mean about him slipping. id think someone with a bodybuilder mentality would at least want to stay in beach body shape.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure that Levrone deliberately set out to look that way, because that was what the role required.

When you think about it, he is playing the part of a “washed up has-been” (the movie is meant to be a comedy, after all), but at the same time, he is trading on the reputation and fame from his bodybuilding career.

It’s an extremely shrewd move.

I’m sure his physique would look a lot different if he was filming an action movie (I think he’s actually done one, but I haven’t seen it)…

[quote]roybot wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
SSC wrote:

if the guy doesnt want to lift anymore though i can respect it. like Irish said earlier its really tough to do this stuff day in and out for decades especially when youre older and he has achieved quite a lot. although i can see what people mean about him slipping. id think someone with a bodybuilder mentality would at least want to stay in beach body shape.

I’m pretty sure that Levrone deliberately set out to look that way, because that was what the role required.

When you think about it, he is playing the part of a “washed up has-been” (the movie is meant to be a comedy, after all), but at the same time, he is trading on the reputation and fame from his bodybuilding career.

It’s an extremely shrewd move.

I’m sure his physique would look a lot different if he was filming an action movie (I think he’s actually done one, but I haven’t seen it)…

[/quote]

He’s done one for sure, I think 2 even? Didn’t go all that well though.

Anyway, it’s not like he couldn’t just diet back up. He’s been huge before, it should be no problem for him to get back there if he wanted to.

Very true. His ability to regain mass quickly would be a great advantage in a movie career.
He’d be able to take method acting to a whole new level. Christian Bale’s transformation from The Machinist to Batman Begins would be a breeze for Levrone.

You people who make comments like “he looks like shit” are fucking rediculous. First, he’s obviously sticking his stomach out to make himself look worst. You can see abs decently well at some parts when he’s not doing that.

Second, look at the average person. Kevin Levrone, even in this video doesn’t look ANYTHING like the average person. Shit, compare him to the two other guys in the video.

Does he look like a bodybuilder? Obviously not. But he looks like a fairly athletic, inshape 40 year old.

[quote]roybot wrote:
Very true. His ability to regain mass quickly would be a great advantage in a movie career.
He’d be able to take method acting to a whole new level. Christian Bale’s transformation from The Machinist to Batman Begins would be a breeze for Levrone.
[/quote]

For sure… If Levrone could act well enough he should be able to make serious dough that way. (haven’t seen any of his movies yet though)

Then again, a very muscular or even (by our standards) decently-muscled physique is almost never needed/wanted in hollywood (or we’d be seeing plenty of muscular guys in movies)

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
roybot wrote:

For sure… If Levrone could act well enough he should be able to make serious dough that way. (haven’t seen any of his movies yet though)

Then again, a very muscular or even (by our standards) decently-muscled physique is almost never needed/wanted in hollywood (or we’d be seeing plenty of muscular guys in movies)[/quote]

That definitely seems to be the case at the moment, but I’ve got a nagging feeling that there will be something of a renaissance in the next few years…hopefully.