What Happened to Baseball?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
BF Bullpup wrote:
Himora22 wrote:
Then you have Bonds, the man is the home run king and most every hates him or is indifferent. I think that is some of the reason but not all of it.

I actually feel bad that Bonds can’t get a job anywhere now. He was the best hitter in baseball BEFORE he juiced (or at least before he got all big and strong) and he’s still among the best now. I don’t know if it’s worth it for pro baseball to make an example out of him like they did to Pete Rose.

Thanks to that fuckwad Bud Selig - hell, fuckwad is too nice for that piece of shit - baseball is ruined. Probably irreparably.

Instead of growing a pair and policing baseball from the inside - he has to run to congress and his little butt-buddy Mitchell.

Instead of keeping baseball’s underbelly behind closed doors where it belongs - everyone now knows everything.

And congress can’t get enough of the power trip. Everyone of those pukes should be treated like a child molester on his first day in GenPop.

Anyhow - enough with my hatred of Bucktooth Bud.

I think the real issue is ticket prices, player salaries, and the fact that baseball does not have a fast enough pace to it to keep the X-Box generation occupied.

[/quote]

Agreed. The owners killed baseball, and Selig’s role is anything but commissioner. It saddens me greatly.

While I think generational issues have something to do with it, I think it’s mainly just a geographic thing.

I’ve heard that people in the NE just go bonkers over baseball – NE’ers can chime in here. But here in Oklahoma, baseball is just that thing they do while we’re waiting for football to start.

Also, I agree with jtrinsey: if there’s a sport you don’t like, then just watch one game with someone who loves the sport and knows the strategies, history, and players inside and out and then tell me that you don’t have any appreciation for the game.

“Basketball is just some thugs hurling a ball toward an unguarded net. Lame.”? Yeah, and hockey is just a bunch of toothless rednecks sliding around on ice.

Both of those statements are laughably false.

[quote]Wimpy wrote:
I like baseball, but I’m also a lifetime Texas Rangers fan so I’m sure you can understand my current disinterest in the sport.[/quote]

There’s two of us?! Holy cow!

Crack a beer today, because the Rangers aren’t in last in the AL West!

I enjoy going to the ocasional baseball game on a nice day and getting drunk, but beyond that it’s just too boring. My mom loves it though. Every time I call her I get a baseball update whether I want it or not. I think the appeal is that the sport just her speed. She also finds watching golf exciting. Go figure.

Add some physical contact, some constant movement, less time between pitches, etc and then talk to me.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
if there’s a sport you don’t like, then just watch one game with someone who loves the sport and knows the strategies, history, and players inside and out and then tell me that you don’t have any appreciation for the game.[/quote]

That’s how I actually started watching soccer a little bit. I thought it was just a bunch of kicking the ball around with no action but then I watched it with some guys who play college ball and you start to see the subtle battles getting played out over the field and the fight for possession.

Track and field might be the most “boring” sport to watch when you think about it on paper. Just 8 guys running in a straight line with no contact. But watch the 100m finals and tell me there isn’t something incredible about somebody doing a physical skill about as well as it could possibly be done.

[quote]sumgai wrote:
A bunch of mindless horse shit[/quote]

First of all, I love sports. I can watch pretty much any competitive sport and enjoy it. Why? Because watching people compete at the highest level, physically and mentally, really appeals to me.

To bash baseball because it’s “boring” is really an uneducated answer. Have you ever watched a chess match? Sure, on the surface it looks boring, but if you watch good chess players, there is a whole lot more involved. Baseball is the same way.

Also, dismissing it as a sport played by fat, slow people is also ridiculously wrong. Their uniforms are deceiving. Most of the guys playing professionally are in top physical condition. Are you aware that the average Major League player trains over 3 hours per day, between weights, cardio, stretching, sprinting?

I also love the “lack of scoring” argument that people use to justify why American Football is king in the U.S. Well, if every run counted as 3 or 6 points, which game has more scoring now? They’re probably pretty even.

I already said I love all sports. I LOVE football (college and pro), basketball (NCAA), lacrosse, ice hockey, soccer, whatever. But, baseball will always be my top sport. Every pitch has a purpose. Every pitcher-batter matchup is different. Each game offers multiple chances for any number of players to be make a difference in the outcome.

With all of that said, I can understand people not liking baseball for various reasons. But, please don’t bash it because you don’t understand it. Open your mind and give it a chance. I used to bash soccer too, until I watched it at it’s highest level with a knowledgeable fan.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
sumgai wrote:
A bunch of mindless horse shit

First of all, I love sports. I can watch pretty much any competitive sport and enjoy it. Why? Because watching people compete at the highest level, physically and mentally, really appeals to me.

To bash baseball because it’s “boring” is really an uneducated answer. Have you ever watched a chess match? Sure, on the surface it looks boring, but if you watch good chess players, there is a whole lot more involved. Baseball is the same way.

Also, dismissing it as a sport played by fat, slow people is also ridiculously wrong. Their uniforms are deceiving. Most of the guys playing professionally are in top physical condition. Are you aware that the average Major League player trains over 3 hours per day, between weights, cardio, stretching, sprinting?

I also love the “lack of scoring” argument that people use to justify why American Football is king in the U.S. Well, if every run counted as 3 or 6 points, which game has more scoring now? They’re probably pretty even.

I already said I love all sports. I LOVE football (college and pro), basketball (NCAA), lacrosse, ice hockey, soccer, whatever. But, baseball will always be my top sport. Every pitch has a purpose. Every pitcher-batter matchup is different. Each game offers multiple chances for any number of players to be make a difference in the outcome.

With all of that said, I can understand people not liking baseball for various reasons. But, please don’t bash it because you don’t understand it. Open your mind and give it a chance. I used to bash soccer too, until I watched it at it’s highest level with a knowledgeable fan.

DB[/quote]

Such a great response!

And don’t be so quick to bury baseball. It once again last year set overall attendance records on the Major League (and I believe) Minor League level. Seems like lots of people are dropping their hard earned money at the ballpark.

[quote]TJN713 wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
sumgai wrote:
A bunch of mindless horse shit

DB

Such a great response!

And don’t be so quick to bury baseball. It once again last year set overall attendance records on the Major League (and I believe) Minor League level. Seems like lots of people are dropping their hard earned money at the ballpark.[/quote]

Still can’t sell out all too often.

Anyway, i was going to type out a lot but it’s been covered pretty well.

1. Fun at the game
  2. boring as shit on TV
  3. You could go to an entire month’s worth of games and they wouldn’t add up to much. 160+ games? Who’s got time to follow that?
  4. Not much loyalty, I mean fuck, they flew clemens out for games he was going to pitch in. You can trade players how late in the season? I can’t get behind that.
  5. He who spends most, wins most. It’s ridiculous. God bless the NFL.
  6. and yes, far too much standing around. Lots of players that look like they’ve never touched a weight too.

that said, I played the shit out of it growing up and loved it to death. But now, I want action or games where shit is on the line. I only watch NBA playoffs, 82 games is too much too.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:

Track and field might be the most “boring” sport to watch when you think about it on paper. Just 8 guys running in a straight line with no contact. But watch the 100m finals and tell me there isn’t something incredible about somebody doing a physical skill about as well as it could possibly be done.[/quote]

This is an interesting example.

My primary thinking as to why the NFL is more popular than MLB, is how slow paced MLB games are, for the most part. I understand that the pitches are fast, and if there’s a hit people are sprinting, but there’s just SO much downtime during the game.

So, in reference to your track example, of course the 100m event is exciting, it’s a full-out sprint for 10 seconds. However, would you be just as transfixed watching people run for 10 miles, or a full marathon? Those are people at the pinnacle of their sport too, but a long, drawn-out event just isn’t quite as exciting to watch.

I can appreciate it, sure, but if I’m choosing something to watch for entertainment, I can understand why the NFL is so popular.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:

1. Fun at the game
  2. boring as shit on TV
  3. You could go to an entire month’s worth of games and they wouldn’t add up to much. 160+ games? Who’s got time to follow that?
  4. Not much loyalty, I mean fuck, they flew clemens out for games he was going to pitch in. You can trade players how late in the season? I can’t get behind that.
  5. He who spends most, wins most. It’s ridiculous. God bless the NFL.
  6. and yes, far too much standing around. Lots of players that look like they’ve never touched a weight too.

that said, I played the shit out of it growing up and loved it to death. But now, I want action or games where shit is on the line. I only watch NBA playoffs, 82 games is too much too.[/quote]

1. absolutely. nothing better
  2. to each their own, i guess. if the game you’re watching has shitty announcers, sure it can be boring (white sox, etc). i watch at minimum one or two games every day, and i have MLB.tv (great for watching out of market games)
  3. who cares? all that means is more chances to go to a game and enjoy yourself.
  4. nobody gives a shit about clemens, but sure, people want money. in general, if a person got offered three times the salary to move and take a different job, i would argue the vast majority would do so. why should athletes be any different?
  5. not true at all. look at the last few champions. sure, the red sox have won two out of the last five championships, but since 2001:

2001: diamondbacks
2002: angels
2003: marlins
2004: red sox
2005: white sox
2006: cardinals
2007: red sox

i’m pretty sure that the diamondbacks, angels, marlins, white sox and cardinals didn’t have a top-5 payroll amongst them. the marlins had the lowest one when they won IIRC.

1. people who say this tend to focus on the standing around inatead what is happening. players are giving signs, coaches are moving outfielders and infielders into position, the pitcher is preparing for the next pitch, the batter is focusing on the next offering…there’s tons of things happening at every second in a game.

as for basketball, i invite you to catch a warriors or suns game next season. i’m a warriors fan, and all the struggling my entire life was worth these last two years.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:

My primary thinking as to why the NFL is more popular than MLB, is how slow paced MLB games are, for the most part. I understand that the pitches are fast, and if there’s a hit people are sprinting, but there’s just SO much downtime during the game.

So, in reference to your track example, of course the 100m event is exciting, it’s a full-out sprint for 10 seconds. However, would you be just as transfixed watching people run for 10 miles, or a full marathon? Those are people at the pinnacle of their sport too, but a long, drawn-out event just isn’t quite as exciting to watch.

I can appreciate it, sure, but if I’m choosing something to watch for entertainment, I can understand why the NFL is so popular.[/quote]

which is why baseball is a great game to hang out and drink a couple beers, i mean protein shakes and chicken.

duly noted about your track and field example, and football as well.

I forgot to add this earlier, but I’m definitely enjoying this baseball season more, since I’m holding a commanding lead in the T-Nation fantasy baseball league. Go Winstrol Warriors!

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:

Track and field might be the most “boring” sport to watch when you think about it on paper. Just 8 guys running in a straight line with no contact. But watch the 100m finals and tell me there isn’t something incredible about somebody doing a physical skill about as well as it could possibly be done.

I can appreciate it, sure, but if I’m choosing something to watch for entertainment, I can understand why the NFL is so popular.[/quote]

I watched some of the Pac-10 outdoor T&F Championships on TV a while back, and you’re exactly right.

They showed some sprints, which I thought were really compelling, and they showed a few highlights of field events, which I thought were awesome. But then they showed every single step of the 10,000 meter run.

Boy, that event is not a spectator sport.

I think a lot of it is the region you live in. I am from the south. College football is king down here. Theres two seasons of football season and waiting for football season. Right now NFL live is coming on Espn, The season was over almost 3 months ago. They dont have baseball tonight during football season. I just think Americas pastime has shifted.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:

My primary thinking as to why the NFL is more popular than MLB, is how slow paced MLB games are, for the most part. I understand that the pitches are fast, and if there’s a hit people are sprinting, but there’s just SO much downtime during the game.[/quote]

A fair point. What’s interesting is how perceptions throughout the world are different. For example, ask a European how they feel about American football and most will respond that there is too much downtime compared to soccer. I debate this all the time with my co-workers, who are mostly European.

[quote]

Again, a fair point. Admittedly, football is better suited to tv than is baseball. I think a lot of us just get irked when people dismiss baseball as boring due to a lack of understanding. Hell, I wouldn’t want to watch baseball year-round - I like the change of sports seasons. Any sport gets boring year-round, imo. If the Indians aren’t competitive, I tend to lose a lot of interest come August/September and get excited about football (which I do anyway).

One last point, baseball really became America’s pastime due to radio before the tv was invented. No sport is better suited for radio than baseball.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:

One last point, baseball really became America’s pastime due to radio before the tv was invented. No sport is better suited for radio than baseball.

DB[/quote]

Aw man I LOVE baseball on the radio…in fact the Orioles had THE BEST radio guy back when I was going to grad school in Baltimore. It was awesome because i’d get out of class around 10:30 and the game would be almost over and the guy would be on the radio and then I’d drive right by the stadium…THEN…that fucker Angelos wouldn’t pay him the money to stick around and the guy went to the west coast…

DB you also mentioned the changing of the sports seasons, but I think that’s largely dissapeared also…the extended pre-seasons and playoff seasons of every sport causes them all to overlap and football season does seem to never end anymore…I think this was one reason they gave for Rollerballl being invented in that Rollerball movie…

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Here in Baltimore fans grew tired of the Orioles because of the comedy of errors the front office has made over the past decade. However, it looks like the team is starting to go in the right direction so interest will probably get back to normal in the next season or two.[/quote]

God I hate Peter Angelos.

In football, every play they are doing something, the offense is trying to get yards or score, the defense is trying to stop them. Plus it is great when someone really lays someone out. Baseball is the same, but it is more all or nothing. If someone hits the ball then they are actually doing something, but beyond that its just a guy throwing fastballs past another guy.

Also the NFL is actively changing rules to make the game more marketable, such as putting limits on what DB’s can do to make the game more passing based, and higher scoring. MLB is making it less marketable by not letting the athletes take AAS and knock 50 balls out of the park every year.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
BF Bullpup wrote:
Himora22 wrote:
Then you have Bonds, the man is the home run king and most every hates him or is indifferent. I think that is some of the reason but not all of it.

I actually feel bad that Bonds can’t get a job anywhere now. He was the best hitter in baseball BEFORE he juiced (or at least before he got all big and strong) and he’s still among the best now. I don’t know if it’s worth it for pro baseball to make an example out of him like they did to Pete Rose.

Thanks to that fuckwad Bud Selig - hell, fuckwad is too nice for that piece of shit - baseball is ruined. Probably irreparably.

Instead of growing a pair and policing baseball from the inside - he has to run to congress and his little butt-buddy Mitchell.

Instead of keeping baseball’s underbelly behind closed doors where it belongs - everyone now knows everything.

And congress can’t get enough of the power trip. Everyone of those pukes should be treated like a child molester on his first day in GenPop.

Anyhow - enough with my hatred of Bucktooth Bud.

I think the real issue is ticket prices, player salaries, and the fact that baseball does not have a fast enough pace to it to keep the X-Box generation occupied.

[/quote]

Dead on. Football had(has) all the same “problems” baseball has but they deal with them correctly.

I love baseball, especially growing up. I ended up watching Braves games since I was 5 becuase they where always on TBS. SO I am a Braves fan that lives in CA… Now TBS doesn’t air any and it pisses me off. I also like the A’s but I just don’t have the same emotional attachment that I do to the Braves.

I’m sick of baseball because ESPN can’t pull their heads out of their Red Sox and Yankees worshipping asses for one whole season.

“Hey Baseball Tonight is on!”

“Who’s playing?”

“Ohh…Red Sox and Yankees…AGAIN!”

ESPN would consider something as minute and trivial as the Yankees bench coach’s kidney stones passing newsworthy.

I think Bauer hit it on the head on the first page. 162 games is just too many to care about. Each game is so inconsequential that any drama within the game nearly is meaningless. Losing an NFL game is literally like going on a 10 game losing streak in baseball. The difference between a playoff team and a last place team may be that over the course of the entire season, the first team’s batting average was .290 while the latter’s was .275. That minor difference is almost imperceivable over the course of the seven month season.

Plus I hate SportsCenter and their 24/7 Yanks and Sox circle jerks.