T Nation

What Happened to Baseball?

Growing up baseball has been the only sport i’ve followed and watched on a regular basis. Now I understand that Football (most popular) has the edge for the real thrill factor but what the fuck? When I’m hanging out with friends nearly none of them give crap about baseball. No favorite teams or players. I ask people often of who their favorite MLB team is to try and start a conversation, but nobody cares. Why? It’s an extremely physically and mentally demanding sport that is really losing ground among the 30 and under crowd. 16 games vs. 162 games. Very sad.

When football is talked about people start going nuts talking about prospects and shit. You want prospects? Follow baseball.

Whats the deal?

I think it’s just you. Baseball is probably the most popular sport where I live, and the Red Sox are gods.

Well for thouse of us not in Boston or NY (or the surrounding area) Baseball isnt as big a deal as it once was. I my self love Baseball but dont know many ppl my age that do. I think it has to do will less kids playing it now or at least part of it. Also you dont have your “Heros” like Hank Aaron, Nolan Ryan, or various others that even if they dont play for your team you still like them. Take Derek Jeter for instance unless you like NY most ppl cant stand him. Then you have Bonds, the man is the home run king and most every hates him or is indifferent. I think that is some of the reason but not all of it.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
Then you have Bonds, the man is the home run king and most every hates him or is indifferent. I think that is some of the reason but not all of it.[/quote]

I actually feel bad that Bonds can’t get a job anywhere now. He was the best hitter in baseball BEFORE he juiced (or at least before he got all big and strong) and he’s still among the best now. I don’t know if it’s worth it for pro baseball to make an example out of him like they did to Pete Rose.

I love baseball, personally, but I think a lot of the problem has to do with the lack of a salary cap.

Big market teams will always have the advantage, and that can turn off small market fans like myself.

I am a Brewers fan, and I worry how much longer they will be able to hold on to Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Mike Camaron, Bill Hall, Ben Sheets, Yovani Gallardo, etc. They are all great players who will eventually be free agents, and the Brewers probably won’t have the money to hang on to them.

Its just disheartening to know that the Yankees and Red Sox can buy good teams year in and year out.

[quote]grappler_123 wrote:
I love baseball, personally, but I think a lot of the problem has to do with the lack of a salary cap.

Big market teams will always have the advantage, and that can turn off small market fans like myself.

I am a Brewers fan, and I worry how much longer they will be able to hold on to Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Mike Camaron, Bill Hall, Ben Sheets, Yovani Gallardo, etc. They are all great players who will eventually be free agents, and the Brewers probably won’t have the money to hang on to them.

Its just disheartening to know that the Yankees and Red Sox can buy good teams year in and year out.[/quote]

I agree

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
Himora22 wrote:
Then you have Bonds, the man is the home run king and most every hates him or is indifferent. I think that is some of the reason but not all of it.

I actually feel bad that Bonds can’t get a job anywhere now. He was the best hitter in baseball BEFORE he juiced (or at least before he got all big and strong) and he’s still among the best now. I don’t know if it’s worth it for pro baseball to make an example out of him like they did to Pete Rose.[/quote]

Thanks to that fuckwad Bud Selig - hell, fuckwad is too nice for that piece of shit - baseball is ruined. Probably irreparably.

Instead of growing a pair and policing baseball from the inside - he has to run to congress and his little butt-buddy Mitchell.

Instead of keeping baseball’s underbelly behind closed doors where it belongs - everyone now knows everything.

And congress can’t get enough of the power trip. Everyone of those pukes should be treated like a child molester on his first day in GenPop.

Anyhow - enough with my hatred of Bucktooth Bud.

I think the real issue is ticket prices, player salaries, and the fact that baseball does not have a fast enough pace to it to keep the X-Box generation occupied.

The only sport I watch is girls gymnastics.

Here in Baltimore fans grew tired of the Orioles because of the comedy of errors the front office has made over the past decade. However, it looks like the team is starting to go in the right direction so interest will probably get back to normal in the next season or two.

It could be because baseball is the most boring sport in the world. Bunch of fat asses standing around picking their noses and balls spitting chaw every fucking time the camera cuts to them. Anything you can do while chewing tabackee is not a sport.

Basketball is the other snorefest “sport”. Ref he brushed my arm - call a foul!!! Bunch of whiney bastards. Shut up and play a real sport.

[quote]sumgai wrote:
It could be because baseball is the most boring sport in the world. Bunch of fat asses standing around picking their noses and balls spitting chaw every fucking time the camera cuts to them. Anything you can do while chewing tabackee is not a sport.

Basketball is the other snorefest “sport”. Ref he brushed my arm - call a foul!!! Bunch of whiney bastards. Shut up and play a real sport.[/quote]

Like what?

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
sumgai wrote:
It could be because baseball is the most boring sport in the world. Bunch of fat asses standing around picking their noses and balls spitting chaw every fucking time the camera cuts to them. Anything you can do while chewing tabackee is not a sport.

Basketball is the other snorefest “sport”. Ref he brushed my arm - call a foul!!! Bunch of whiney bastards. Shut up and play a real sport.

Like what?

[/quote]

ICE HOCKEY
FOOTBALL

and just for you…BADMINTON!
http://geekfitters.com/images/i-put-the-bad-in-badminton.jpg

[quote]son of liars wrote:
16 games vs. 162 games. Very sad.

[/quote]

I think this is a big reason why baseball has LOST popularity.

America has become faster paced, todays younger generation doesn’t tend to have the patience to follow such an extremely long season with games that are inconsequential until the last month of the season.

I mean, a baseball team can lose 4 games in a row, and it’s absolutely meaningless, nobody even notices. If a football team loses 4 games in a row, there’s a decent chance they just lost their chances at the post-season.

Not to mention that baseball is 95% standing still, and in the off-chance there’s a hit, 2 guys start moving.

I don’t mean to bash baseball, I wish it, as “America’s past-time” was still just that. I also hate the Bonds situation and how it has been handled (and not just because I’m a Giants fan).

However, outside of October, I can’t even stand watching Baseball HIGHLIGHTS, they’re so boring to me. And even then, there’s football on in October, why would I watch baseball?

[quote]sumgai wrote:
It could be because baseball is the most boring sport in the world. Bunch of fat asses standing around picking their noses and balls spitting chaw every fucking time the camera cuts to them. Anything you can do while chewing tabackee is not a sport.

Basketball is the other snorefest “sport”. Ref he brushed my arm - call a foul!!! Bunch of whiney bastards. Shut up and play a real sport.[/quote]

I wouldn’t call any professional sport a ‘fake sport’, because I think all of them, including baseball, require an amazing amount of skill.

However, I don’t think that any low-scoring sport will ever be overly popular in America from here-forward, unless there’s a major cultural shift. America just doesn’t have the patience to wait 90 minutes for someone to score a goal in soccer, and then go absolutely nuts. We need constant entertainment, for better or worse.

Personally, I never saw the attraction. It’s fun to go to the occasional game, but boring as hell on TV.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
I wouldn’t call any professional sport a ‘fake sport’, because I think all of them, including baseball, require an amazing amount of skill.

However, I don’t think that any low-scoring sport will ever be overly popular in America from here-forward, unless there’s a major cultural shift. America just doesn’t have the patience to wait 90 minutes for someone to score a goal in soccer, and then go absolutely nuts. We need constant entertainment, for better or worse.[/quote]

I hear what you’re saying about “fake sports” (aka baseball and basketball) however, one could then argue that gardening also takes an amazing amount of skill but would be very boring to watch. :wink:

We want to see action in our sports. Baseball has nothing but potential action that usually never arrives. I mean, come on, when they show highlights of a baseball game on ESPN, that’s the ONLY thing that happened in a baseball game worth watching!! The other 3 hours were pointless…which is exactly why they didn’t show that on the highlights. Therefore, I am totally fine if they never show another baseball game on TV but just show highlights only. It’s perfect. All the action, none of the grass growing. Done.

Tons of my buddies love basketball but to me it’s the most boring thing in the world. There’s no goalie to get the ball past. What’s up with that?! Imagine if they shrunk the hockey goal to 1’ x 1’ and we no longer had goalies. Is not 90% of the great action in hockey because of great saves by a stellar goalie?! That’s what creates action worth watching! Same idea in football…defensive moves that create drama. Basketball is just some thugs hurling a ball toward an unguarded net. Lame.

I hate arguments about what sport is “better” so I don’t even know why I’m participating in this. If you don’t appreciate baseball, that’s fine, but I guarantee that to baseball fans, every game has a ton of action. I played football, hockey and basketball growing up, as well as the sport I play collegiately now, volleyball, which is the ultimate ADD sport- the average rally lasts under 5 seconds.

I have never played baseball (after little league) but it is probably my favorite sport to watch and follow. I’m a huge Phillies fan and I’ve only missed 5 or 6 games so far this year. What I love about baseball is that every at-bat is a mini-battle. Sure there are not many runs scored but to me there is nothing better in sports than watching a top closer go up against a hitter like Utley or Pujols who is trying to tie the game. The physical power of the pitchers who are able to throw 95+mph against the physical power of the batters who can hit the ball 450 feet. The skill of a pitcher who can throw a breaking ball that ends up 8 feet lower than it starts against the skill of a batter who can somehow get his bat on that ball.

Reducing basketball to “just some thugs hurling a ball toward an unguarded net” tells me that you don’t understand the game at all. An average Joe off the street would not even be able to complete a pass or dribble 10 feet in a high-level D1 game, much less a pro game. Of course that goes the same for any sport.

You could argue that hockey is a bunch of guys skating in circles firing a ball at the net with little hope of scoring except if they get the right rebound. You would be wrong but you could certainly argue that if you didn’t understand the game.

I agree about baseball losing its popularity though. It’s a shame.

[quote]grappler_123 wrote:
They are all great players who will eventually be free agents, and the Brewers probably won’t have the money to hang on to them.
[/quote]

Hell no they won’t have the money – especially when they pay $10 million for a washed-up closer.

I like baseball, but I’m also a lifetime Texas Rangers fan so I’m sure you can understand my current disinterest in the sport.

I have 3 kids and I devote a lot of time to coaching their soccer teams, helping them with their homework, taking them to various other activities. I have a wife that I devote a lot of time to. I don’t really have time to watch baseball. Like others have said 162 games is a lot of games. I’m an all or nothing kind of guy. I wouldn’t be able to just watch one game per week for example, so instead I watch none.

And the games all start at 7:30 I think, so it’s right at the time that ‘crazy time’ begins at my house what with finishing up dinner, homework, planning for the next day, getting everyone put to bed…and they’re not over until 10:30 or 11:00 and I can’t stay up that late and still get to work at 6:00 the next day.

Also, like Doug, I’m an Orioles fan, but can’t stand that fucker Peter Angelos and what he’s done to the team, so I haven’t followed them for 20 years.

I like baseball and will start to pay attention and watch games during the playoffs…which unfortunately will be hosted by Joe Buck…who I’m trying to like as Thibs said he’s pretty cool…but…it’s not conveyed through the camera.