T Nation

What Grinded Your Gears Today?

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
and you know what else has been grinding my gears, the fact that I may have a torn ligament in my hand and I cant lift shit. I’m stuck squatting basically. [/quote]

Turn that attitude around. This could be a blessing in disguise.
When I blew out a shoulder several years back and doctor ordered NO upper body work at all for 8 weeks, I was stuck only with squatting.
That kind of focus on the squat several times per week ballooned my quads like never before.
[/quote]

I was about to say, it may turn out to be a good thing. That does suck, though, would be nice if it were under better terms. Torn ligament sounds painful.

Is it in your writing/wiping/wacking hand? I broke my right arm a few years back. Had to relearn how to do a bunch of stuff. It was a process…

Had a biohazard alert in the building while I was in the bathroom. Doors automatically locked, preventing me from going back to get my stuff (including my breakfast and jacket). Was stuck outside, hangry and cold for an hour and a half, waiting for the firefighters to handle the situation. Fun morning lol.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
Had a biohazard alert in the building while I was in the bathroom. Doors automatically locked, preventing me from going back to get my stuff (including my breakfast and jacket). Was stuck outside, hangry and cold for an hour and a half, waiting for the firefighters to handle the situation. Fun morning lol.[/quote]

Damn, what had you eaten?

We were at our lawyer’s office yesterday talking about conservatorship for our daughter who’s turning 18. This is the process where you pay about $5000 so CA can appoint someone to drop into your home unannounced - like in an adoption - to see if you’re doing a good job taking care of the handicapped kid you’ve been taking care of everyday since birth. Then they appoint an attorney to represent her, and you get to go sit through a boring class, and read a best-selling book about how to be a good conservator, then you get to sit around in probate court all day. All for the privilege of having the state tell you that you can continue taking care of your own kid.

[quote]TDub301 wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
and you know what else has been grinding my gears, the fact that I may have a torn ligament in my hand and I cant lift shit. I’m stuck squatting basically. [/quote]

Turn that attitude around. This could be a blessing in disguise.
When I blew out a shoulder several years back and doctor ordered NO upper body work at all for 8 weeks, I was stuck only with squatting.
That kind of focus on the squat several times per week ballooned my quads like never before.
[/quote]

I was about to say, it may turn out to be a good thing. That does suck, though, would be nice if it were under better terms. Torn ligament sounds painful.

Is it in your writing/wiping/wacking hand? I broke my right arm a few years back. Had to relearn how to do a bunch of stuff. It was a process…[/quote]

It was my wanking hand yes. But I am trying to beat that habit, get it ;). Seriously, Im just annoyed because I was going to my second strongman comp in november and now I cant do any of the events.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
…both guys had man buns[/quote]

But what if they lifted more than a male yoga student? What then?[/quote]

Such men do not have man buns, they have long hair worn down or if they are wrapped up, such a bun is not just one inch long.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
Had a biohazard alert in the building while I was in the bathroom. Doors automatically locked, preventing me from going back to get my stuff (including my breakfast and jacket). Was stuck outside, hangry and cold for an hour and a half, waiting for the firefighters to handle the situation. Fun morning lol.[/quote]

Damn, what had you eaten?[/quote]

Hah nice! Well the reason I was in the bathroom in the first place was that deadly force known as AYCE sushi

Improper use of the past tense is what ground my gears today.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Nards wrote:
Improper use of the past tense is what ground my gears today.[/quote]

I also can’t stand when people say “would of” instead of "would’ve."
It’s a contraction for “would HAVE,” moron.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

I also can’t stand when people say “would of” instead of "would’ve."
It’s a contraction for “would HAVE,” moron.
[/quote]

This is all why I have to remind myself constantly to avoid reading much of anything on social media. Grammar is rapidly becoming of little concern to the modern American (both in journalism and common writing).

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
We were at our lawyer’s office yesterday talking about conservatorship for our daughter who’s turning 18. This is the process where you pay about $5000 so CA can appoint someone to drop into your home unannounced - like in an adoption - to see if you’re doing a good job taking care of the handicapped kid you’ve been taking care of everyday since birth. Then they appoint an attorney to represent her, and you get to go sit through a boring class, and read a best-selling book about how to be a good conservator, then you get to sit around in probate court all day. All for the privilege of having the state tell you that you can continue taking care of your own kid. [/quote]

I’m irritated for you.

Wow.

DOn’t worry someone will be along to explain how this is actually freedom.

[quote]Nards wrote:

“Grinded” can be a past participle, although completely proper use of the word would be “ground”.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
We were at our lawyer’s office yesterday talking about conservatorship for our daughter who’s turning 18. This is the process where you pay about $5000 so CA can appoint someone to drop into your home unannounced - like in an adoption - to see if you’re doing a good job taking care of the handicapped kid you’ve been taking care of everyday since birth. Then they appoint an attorney to represent her, and you get to go sit through a boring class, and read a best-selling book about how to be a good conservator, then you get to sit around in probate court all day. All for the privilege of having the state tell you that you can continue taking care of your own kid. [/quote]

Ya know, suddenly my problems seem REALLY small. The best of luck to you.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

I’m irritated for you.

Wow.

DOn’t worry someone will be along to explain how this is actually freedom. [/quote]

Thanks, Beans and Daltron. It’s not like it’s a litigious or contentious process. I’m expecting it to mostly just be a pain in the neck, but you’d think they would do this sort of thing to people running group homes to make sure they are doing a good job, not to biological parents. Couldn’t our physician just sign off on a form and submit it to the court or something? You’d think, right?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Mixing scales of measurement.

It pisses me off when people say a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. A gram is metric, a pound is imperial. Pick one system and be faithful damn it. What’s next a map with a scale reading so many centimetres to the mile?

And then there are words with mixed roots. Take polyamorous for example. Poly is Greek, amor is Latin. It should be Multiamorous or Polyphilia, although I grant the latter sounds like a plaster patching product.

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:
Mixing scales of measurement.

It pisses me off when people say a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. A gram is metric, a pound is imperial. Pick one system and be faithful damn it. What’s next a map with a scale reading so many centimetres to the mile?

And then there are words with mixed roots. Take polyamorous for example. Poly is Greek, amor is Latin. It should be Multiamorous or Polyphilia, although I grant the latter sounds like a plaster patching product.[/quote]

Those are really specific irritants. I feel like we would probably hate each other if only due to our inherent pedenatism. That and you can’t spell “meters” correctly Who puts the “e” after the “r” anyways? Evil people. That’s who.

What do you guys use when you see something like kilopsi (KSI), which is a real unit?

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
What do you guys use when you see something like kilopsi (KSI), which is a real unit?[/quote]

Did you ever see John Carpenter’s The Thing? A fucking flame thrower…