What Federation Do You Compete In and Why?

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]iplan wrote:
Stu:

Hey I was just on the INBF’s website, and there is a contest on the same date as the NPC show I was planning to compete in (August 10). It’s about a 3 hour drive from my house (as opposed to a 2 hour drive to get to the NPC event), but I’m thinking about changing my plans. Do you have an feelings on it ~~~ encouragement etc.?

BTW, one thing I didn’t see on the INBF website was a working link to their magazine. Do you get a magazine with your Membership dues?

Best,
J
[/quote]

Well, if it were me, I wouldn’t let a longer ride be the deciding factor. I spent many nights in hotels when I first started competing. Gave me a lot of fond memories (destroying hotel bed sheets with my horrific fake tans -lol).

The thing you need to understand is that with an NPC show, you can’t guarantee what type of athletes will show up. Now you can say the same thing about the INBF or any other tested federation. The old saying is that “You can’t control who is going to show up on game day.” However, with an NPC show it’s usually a safe bet that a good number of contestants will be assisted somewhat. That’s certainly not the be all deterrent to not do a show, but it certainly something to have in mind when you go into a contest, especially if you don’t use PEDs yourself.

They do still have a magazine, although it’s not the same thick, containing advertisements, sold on news stands one that had been around for so many years (Natural Bodybuilding & Fitness). Now they produce “Pro Natural Muscle” and it’s only sent to members of the federation (WNBF or INBF). Usually it’s only about 20 pgs long (nice and glossy! -lol), but it contains very good articles, athletes profiles, contest coverage, and always on the back cover a schedule of upcoming events, both amateur and pro levels.

S[/quote]

I personally don’t know a single person even at amateur NPC shows that step on stage without PEDs and ever place. Unless they are the only ones in their class.[/quote]

Yeah, ive talked to several guys that were NPC competitors when i used to work out at an LA Fitness with some pretty respectable bodybuilders. They were all using PEDS and had been for a very long time. (And it showed) They basically told me that they had no chance winning an NPC contest without 'em and that everyone was using.

Can anyone (Stu) comment on this at all? Is this generally an assumption you have to make when entering an NPC contest?

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:
Yeah, ive talked to several guys that were NPC competitors when i used to work out at an LA Fitness with some pretty respectable bodybuilders. They were all using PEDS and had been for a very long time. (And it showed) They basically told me that they had no chance winning an NPC contest without 'em and that everyone was using.

Can anyone (Stu) comment on this at all? Is this generally an assumption you have to make when entering an NPC contest?[/quote]

While I can only base my opinions on what I’ve seen, and who I know first hand, I have known a few competitors that were clean, and won their classes at local NPC shows. These of course weren’t especially large contests, nor were any of these individuals walking away with an overall title.

Realize that in some necks of the woods, you don’t always have your choice of contests, nor do many people even realize that there is a difference amongst the many federations that exist.

In the cases where friends of mine have won their classes at untested shows, it has always been in the lighter weight classes, and always due to a couple of reasons IMO (feel free to disagree or add):

1-Much better conditioning. I can only assume this is due to not having to worry about water retention related to PED usage. Also, I would assume that they possess a better understanding of how their body works day to day, and not in regard to varying added assistance methods that come with nontested contest prep.

2-Usually, they are a bit older than the others in their weight class, and have built a very solid muscular foundation over many years, not a rushed, often inflated ‘size’ that loses a bit when dieted down. As such, in true contest shape, they actually can display greater size when compared to others onstage who may be larger, but very soft and watery, or perhaps comparably tight, but have lost way too much ‘size’ (not always ‘muscle’) en route to the stage.

Again, these are just thoughts that I took away from a few shows I watched, knowing what I know, and obviously making some assumptions.

S

Can anyone (Stu) comment on this at all? Is this generally an assumption you have to make when entering an NPC contest?[/quote]

While I can only base my opinions on what I’ve seen, and who I know first hand, I have known a few competitors that were clean, and won their classes at local NPC shows. These of course weren’t especially large contests, nor were any of these individuals walking away with an overall title.

Realize that in some necks of the woods, you don’t always have your choice of contests, nor do many people even realize that there is a difference amongst the many federations that exist.

In the cases where friends of mine have won their classes at untested shows, it has always been in the lighter weight classes, and always due to a couple of reasons IMO (feel free to disagree or add):

1-Much better conditioning. I can only assume this is due to not having to worry about water retention related to PED usage. Also, I would assume that they possess a better understanding of how their body works day to day, and not in regard to varying added assistance methods that come with nontested contest prep.

2-Usually, they are a bit older than the others in their weight class, and have built a very solid muscular foundation over many years, not a rushed, often inflated ‘size’ that loses a bit when dieted down. As such, in true contest shape, they actually can display greater size when compared to others onstage who may be larger, but very soft and watery, or perhaps comparably tight, but have lost way too much ‘size’ (not always ‘muscle’) en route to the stage.

Again, these are just thoughts that I took away from a few shows I watched, knowing what I know, and obviously making some assumptions.

S[/quote]

Good points.

I guess thinking about it now, seeing as that gym is in chicago, there was probably some pretty big shows with a lot of competitors, so the competition was pretty steep. Plus, the guys i knew who were competing were monsters, so definitely the heavier weight classes.

[quote]Bauber wrote:
NPC, they don’t drug test.[/quote]

Youve competed before? any pics or videos?

S[/quote]

Completely agree here. The light heavy to super heavy, it is very rare to see a non PED user win from my experience. I have been to shows all over the south as I just love going to watch. Most of the ones I have attended are national qualifiers so decent sized shows 110-200+ competitors total in the show. Mind you probably 10-25 % of those are bodybuilders.

S[/quote]

Good points there, Stu.

Also, for anyone else thinking of competing in a NPC contest, from my experience you have a better chance at a “cleaner” show in the smaller level 1-3 contests (shows go from level 1-5, the higher the level, the larger the target audience). If you want to move up and compete in state or regional shows PEDs are a must have.

Stu, what is your opinion of the MuscleMania contests?

To answer the OP’s question: Used to be in the now defunct ANBC and NABF, presently compete in local NPC shows reason being natrual shows are few and far between near my area and travelling for a show at this point really does not make sense for me.

[quote]Myosin wrote:
Presently compete in local NPC shows reason being natural shows are few and far between near my area and traveling for a show at this point really does not make sense for me.[/quote]

This is really chasing a rabbit’s trail now, but it seems that there would be more natural bodybuilders than there are PED bodybuilders. If that is a fact, then it might be a logical assumption that many if not most of the natural guys (who ‘would otherwise have an interest’) probably NEVER consider competing because they know they would have to use PEDs to be competitive.

In my “free market capitalism” mindset, this strikes me as all the more reason to sponsor drug free contests everywhere. You would easily capture the natural athletes in the NPC, and new formerly non-competitors for reasons stated previously.

So, what do you do if you decide you’d like to have a contest in your area?

Best,
J

[quote]Bauber wrote:
NPC, they don’t drug test.[/quote]

Youve competed before? any pics or videos?[/quote]

I competed 3 years ago in 2 shows close together. Came in with too much water and not lean enough as I had no idea what I was doing lol. Obviously have put on a lot of size since these. I weighed in at 258.5

2nd

3rd.

I have video somewhere but I would have to find it.

When you planning on competing again? Would like to see you on stage in contest shape lol

When you planning on competing again? Would like to see you on stage in contest shape lol[/quote]

This upcoming May is the goal. Everything seems to be on track.

[quote]iplan wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:
Presently compete in local NPC shows reason being natural shows are few and far between near my area and traveling for a show at this point really does not make sense for me.[/quote]

This is really chasing a rabbit’s trail now, but it seems that there would be more natural bodybuilders than there are PED bodybuilders. If that is a fact, then it might be a logical assumption that many if not most of the natural guys (who ‘would otherwise have an interest’) probably NEVER consider competing because they know they would have to use PEDs to be competitive.

In my “free market capitalism” mindset, this strikes me as all the more reason to sponsor drug free contests everywhere. You would easily capture the natural athletes in the NPC, and new formerly non-competitors for reasons stated previously.

Best,
J

[/quote]

In theory, you might be correct but then reality steps in and you have what natural bodybuilding is now, a sub culture of a sub culture.

Two main things in the way of your theory working:

1. The true prevalence of drug use in competitors and potential competitors. Probably a lot higher than you might think. Tons of guys using that look like they barely train. We probably all have seen examples of that. Americans are in love with the results of steroids both in the gym and on the field but for whatever reason show some sort of phony anger when the truth is told.

2. Cold hard cash. Promoters, magazines, supplement companies :slight_smile: etc makes money selling the freaky look. In fact, it costs more for a promoter to run a tested show. I have personally witnessed promoters tossing urine samples in the garbage because it was not worth the cost to test the competitors.

Competing naturally in this sport requires a deep passion and love for this activity. Asking someone to sacrifice so much for so “little” in return is very hard, especially when you see others blast past you in progress, it can be a tough pill to swallow. Personally, my level of passion does wane up and down as its easy to become frustrated or even disgusted with the sport.

I have competed against two guys that are now IFBB Pros, they both beat me back in the day, but it was a good fun fight. I look at them now and say WOW, damn. They are on the covers of magazines, sponsors etc, I suppose living the dream. Naturally, you think maybe that could of been you, but for whatever reason, you chose a different path. Hopefully all is well with them, but you cannot judge them as you have no idea what it took for them to get to that level and what price they had to/are/will pay.

That said, even on the tested level, guys are always looking for that edge but what can you do except stay true to yourself and bust your ass in the gym,in the kitchen and continue to attempt to progress.

[quote]Myosin wrote:

[quote]iplan wrote:

[quote]Myosin wrote:

Best,
J

[/quote]

In theory, you might be correct but then reality steps in and you have what natural bodybuilding is now, a sub culture of a sub culture.

Two main things in the way of your theory working:

1. The true prevalence of drug use in competitors and potential competitors. Probably a lot higher than you might think. Tons of guys using that look like they barely train. We probably all have seen examples of that. Americans are in love with the results of steroids both in the gym and on the field but for whatever reason show some sort of phony anger when the truth is told.

2. Cold hard cash. Promoters, magazines, supplement companies :slight_smile: etc makes money selling the freaky look. In fact, it costs more for a promoter to run a tested show. I have personally witnessed promoters tossing urine samples in the garbage because it was not worth the cost to test the competitors.

Competing naturally in this sport requires a deep passion and love for this activity. Asking someone to sacrifice so much for so “little” in return is very hard, especially when you see others blast past you in progress, it can be a tough pill to swallow. Personally, my level of passion does wane up and down as its easy to become frustrated or even disgusted with the sport.

I have competed against two guys that are now IFBB Pros, they both beat me back in the day, but it was a good fun fight. I look at them now and say WOW, damn. They are on the covers of magazines, sponsors etc, I suppose living the dream. Naturally, you think maybe that could of been you, but for whatever reason, you chose a different path. Hopefully all is well with them, but you cannot judge them as you have no idea what it took for them to get to that level and what price they had to/are/will pay.

That said, even on the tested level, guys are always looking for that edge but what can you do except stay true to yourself and bust your ass in the gym,in the kitchen and continue to attempt to progress.[/quote]

In my state there are 8 NPC shows a year. There is only 1 Natural show ~ and it is not affiliated with anything. I think a natural show would pull many of the clean guys from the NPC contests, and attract many new competitors who have never competed before ~ because they didn’t want to compete and not be competitive.

Too bad I’m not a promoter…

[quote]Myosin wrote:
Good points there, Stu.

Also, for anyone else thinking of competing in a NPC contest, from my experience you have a better chance at a “cleaner” show in the smaller level 1-3 contests (shows go from level 1-5, the higher the level, the larger the target audience). If you want to move up and compete in state or regional shows PEDs are a must have.[/quote]

This is pretty much how things seem to be. Depending on where you are, NPC shows can really vary.

To competitors in other ‘tested’ or ‘natural’ federations, the MM shows usually seem to be regarded as somewhat laughable at their claimed drug free requirement. Yes, you have to draw the line somewhere for competitors, whether it’s lifetime clean, or 7 years as the majority of federations seem to go with. Unlike the larger tested feds, Musclemania is widely known for either going with a year or two (I can’t say for certain ATM), or just not enforcing accurate testing at all. Now I’m certainly not saying that any number of contestants in their shows aren’t clean, my buddy Phil who is a WNBF Pro also won his pro card in a Musclemania show and even competed at their National championships in Vegas a few years ago. He’s freak of nature no doubt, but he’s also passed plenty of polys and Piss tests with the WNBF, and they have the largest spectrum of banned substances routinely tested for.

On the other hand, I do know of one instance where a MM Pro was notified of a failed drug test after a recent contest, although to be honest, it could have been a BS move for any number of reasons (I’ve seen some real suspect actions in the competitive side of BBing), or even an attempt at better credibility for the federation.

There are a lot of great BBing federations out there, but at the end of the day, what a win or respectable placing in a contest means will all come down to the reputation of the show/federation as well as the quality and number of competitors in your class. Most federations, whether clean or not, have a somewhat level playing field. It only a concern when you’re the only one not clued in to what the deal is with regard to PEDs, and the promoters don’t usually come out and tell you point blank.

S