What Exercises to Women and Girls Like to Do?

I coach high school track, and part of that is lifting. The lifting is optional because we have a huge team and I want to really focus on the kids who really are interested in lifting.

I already include the basics that really matter, like squatting, RDLs, Chin-ups, and the important movements.

I want to put something in there that is mostly fun, so that the kids will get into and develop a good attitude towards lifting. For the boys, it’s easy, just do Bi’s and Tri’s and call it the gun show. I have no idea what the girls like to do, so I am looking for some ideas to get them excited about lifting.

Also, I am a male coach, so if it’s all “ass toning” exercises I don’t think I should do that, just because that would look pretty inappropriate.

Any input is appreciated.

Lunges with weights in hand are good for balance, grip, strength, and core development. Also, they build the glutes. Women like them because they build great legs but I notice that they all women will do them without fear of getting bulky, even if I put weigh in their hands. I think lunges are one of the few movements that women are both comfortable and confident doing, but at the same time is something that I would make an athlete do.

I think this is an odd question.

Different women like to do different things. For example, I love squatting, hate lunges, love pullups, hate abs, etc. etc. Another woman would have different preferences, I would imagine.

As a high school coach, shouldn’t the choice of exercises revolve around the sport they play rather than what they might like to do?

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I think this is an odd question.

Different women like to do different things. For example, I love squatting, hate lunges, love pullups, hate abs, etc. etc. Another woman would have different preferences, I would imagine.

As a high school coach, shouldn’t the choice of exercises revolve around the sport they play rather than what they might like to do? [/quote]

They already squat, lunge, do chin-ups, bench and do all the things they need for athleticism.

Simply put, teenage males love to curls and tricep work. I put that at the end of the workout so that they have something to get excited about after they do the important stuff. I really don’t care about how much they can curl, but they do, and if it gets them excited about lifting, I think it’s good.

I know it’s dangerous to make assumptions about entire populations, but as someone who works with teenage boys, and as a recent teenage boy myself, they really do love arm work. It could be that the exercises that teenage girls like are the important ones that we already do, but I honestly had no idea and I was looking for a way to get them excited about it.

I think all women want their butts to look better so hip thrusts and bridges.

My high school daughter and all her friends are consumed with making their tummys flat. YES, I know its mainly diet, but they just want to know what to do to get a nice belly. They dont even have to “like” doing it…, they
are driven by the thought alone. They do NOT want the ripped look, just a nice firm stomach with maybe the line down the center.

I don’t think it would be inappropriate to include glute exercises. Glute bridges are excellent for shaping the glutes, as well as sprinting. Plus, women can usually load up more weight on this exercise, so that can increase confidence. You can show them Brett Contreras’s youtube training videos of his figure athletes so they see it isn’t just some weird exercise a pervy coach made up.

Women are predominantly and naturally stronger in our legs, it’s the way we are made! So yes leg work is easier, funner, and more natural for us. When you are trying to encourage someone to work outside their natural and comfortable strengths they are going to be uncomfortable. Be a coach! Talk about total body fitness. Talk about working on our weaknesses and outside our comfort zone.

This is not about what exercises. It is about learning how to motivate. It is about self discipline. It is about education.

If you do your job well these young women will learn how to take care of their entire body properly not just the easy parts. This means shoulders and arms (Michelle Obama has beautiful well toned arms, for starters).

Use the same technique as you so with the guys. Legs last. Get through the hard stuff and reward yourself with the easy.

I coach high school track, and part of that is lifting. The lifting is optional because we have a huge team and I want to really focus on the kids who really are interested in lifting.

If you have the kids who are really interested in lifting in your group then you shouldn’t have any issues keeping the kids focused. If they are interested then they want to learn so if you explain properly your methodologies and have a sound well rounded weight lifting program that produces results then the kids won’t really care what exercises they are doing, because they know that they work…