T Nation

What Exercises to Maintain Current Size Yet Increase Strength?

I’m a male, 180 cm tall and weighing about 73-75 kg. I’m able to comfortably do 25 (at least 40 if I push hard) burpees in a row. I have tried doing the Defcon 1 workout and I was able to do it on level 1, and adding 100 push-ups (some decline, some plyo, some normal) 100 jump squats (both, in sets of at least 20) throughout the day, and cycling for about 15 kilometres didn’t make me feel like I need rest the next day… I’m able to perform 30 push-ups (or 50-60 squats) at a go, generally and 250 push-ups (or 400 squats) in a whole workout don’t cause too much trouble to me, but I do feel a little tiredness in my muscles the next day, but that tiredness isn’t enough to make me feel lethargic.
​​​​​
I like the shape I currently happen to have, and would like to maintain it (or have little weight gain), but increase my strength and/or endurance overall. I have a few questions I’m hoping to get answers to, here…

Let’s take the example of push-ups. Google search tells me that plyometric push-ups are great for making your chest bigger. Some places say that if you want to increase muscle mass, perform reps slowly (e.g. 10 seconds to lower yourself, 10 seconds to come back up while performing a pushup). I want neither of that. I simply want to be increasing strength and/or endurance. What way should I go about it? Will adding weights help? Or should I simply try doing reps as fast as I can? Is HIIT the only answer to my problem?

I don’t have access to a gym or any equipment whatsoever. I’d prefer not to go to the playground and doing pull-ups or anything of the sort because of the current pandemic situation. I can perform burpees without disturbing people who stay on the floor below, but performing high knees without doing so proves to be next to impossible. (in case HIIT is a suggestion)

That’s not an and/or situation. They’re two different goals that are best achieved with different methods. Figure out your a specific goal before figuring out a plan to get there. So, how would you measure improved strength? Three strict one-arm push-ups? How would you measure better endurance? Doing 100 reps in a row?

Then it kinda doesn’t matter if weights would help.

No. That wouldn’t really help either goal.

Only if your problem is fat loss.

Generally you would want to periodize your training. Do something like a 4-8 week mesocycle, week 1 start out with high reps at 40-50% or so of your 1RM, next week go to 60%, then 70, then 80, and basically work up to doubles or triples on your sets. Deload, then repeat. You’ll find this to be one of the most optimal ways to not only increase strength as an intermediate or advanced lifter, but you’ll be doing endurance work concurrently in a symbiotic way.

Just use a simple 1 second tempo. 1 down, 1 pause, 1 up.

My 2 cents, seems like you’re a stud but at some point your size won’t increase without something else changing (more calories, a creatine cycle, etc). Bit of a myth there. Also, you don’t need formal weights to pull of resistance training. I used to use chains, rocks, cinder blocks, etc. That said, if you’re afraid of exercising outside in sunlight b/c you might get hit by the 'rona virus you probably won’t find a way to make it happen…

Why does this entire thread feel like I’m trying to read another language?

1 Like

Man, I started to type out a reply, deleted it, started again, deleted it.

I have no idea where to start with this. I guess Chris asked the most relevant questions, and without a response to ‘how do you define strength’ I have nowhere to go here.

1 Like

You could replace bw squats with lunges or single leg squats + you could do feet elevated push-ups and finding some way to do some kind of rowing movement would also be useful.