What Exactly are Chains Used For?

I bench press but not that much…im really just curious to know what chains are used for and how they are effective n stuff. What’s the difference between going raw with just the plates and the bar .vs. goin with plates the bar and chains??

For you chains will not effect your training at all, but as for what they are used for: as the chain comes off the ground more weight, effectively, will be on the bar, so that less weight is on when at the bottom of the press, and more at the top.

So why wouldnt they work with my training?

[quote]JerryRicePwns wrote:
So why wouldnt they work with my training?[/quote]

typically raw benchers don’t need extra lockout work (although some do). Also, they mimick the strength curve of a bench shirt (or suit if your squatting). As a raw lifter I wouldn’t use chains or bands a whole lot.

I plan on testing out chain deadlifts, and doing chain squats before I get into gear again for my meets this year.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
JerryRicePwns wrote:

typically raw benchers don’t need extra lockout work (although some do). Also, they mimick the strength curve of a bench shirt (or suit if your squatting). As a raw lifter I wouldn’t use chains or bands a whole lot.

I plan on testing out chain deadlifts, and doing chain squats before I get into gear again for my meets this year.[/quote]

I bench raw and have found little use for chains with the bench as I fail about three inches off the chest.

Chains on squats have worked wonders. For the squat, I tend to fail about 3/4 to the top so the chains really help blast through that.

Deads with chains haven’t done too much since I’m weak off the floor but I still use them. It’s really mental for me, I guess I figure if I can get it off the floor I know I can get it because of the chains.

EDIT: To the OP, sorry to hijack, Zep got me rambling.

[quote]gone heavy wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
JerryRicePwns wrote:

I plan on testing out chain deadlifts, and doing chain squats before I get into gear again for my meets this year.

I bench raw and have found little use for chains with the bench as I fail about three inches off the chest.

Chains on squats have worked wonders. For the squat, I tend to fail about 3/4 to the top so the chains really help blast through that.

Deads with chains haven’t done too much since I’m weak off the floor but I still use them. It’s really mental for me, I guess I figure if I can get it off the floor I know I can get it because of the chains.

EDIT: To the OP, sorry to hijack, Zep got me rambling.
[/quote]

No big deal :), I think the chains will help me because I can explode off the ground, but have to grind out the last few inches. Sure as hell don’t want to get red lighted in a meet for hitching.

I think the chain squats will have a pretty sweet carryover to my single ply squat. I just nailed 315 raw, and want 405+ single ply and wraps by christmas. I don’t know exactly how much yet because I don’t know what kind of carryover to expect.

[quote]JerryRicePwns wrote:
So why wouldnt they work with my training?[/quote]

Because you’re weak.

Chains should be used after you’ve achieved a high level of strength without them. For most people, this means you should be benching about twice your bodyweight raw before using chains (or bands).

You just don’t need them right now. Don’t use something fancy just because it’s fashionable. Stick with the basics and let the basics work for you.

chains are used for crazy sex fetishes…
o this is lifting? sorry, explosive and lockout on any lift… i want some, same with bands

I don’t know, chains definitely helped me get through a plateau and I don’t bench 2xBW. I think they just helped me develop some more speed and gave the triceps a kick along, not a bad thing for anyone in my book.

Good value for money.

Its called accommodating resistance.