What DON'T YOU Do/See?

I have never seen anyone do a Zercher squat in my gym, or a barbell hack squat.

[quote]SquatDeep385 wrote:
I have never seen anyone do a Zercher squat in my gym, or a barbell hack squat.[/quote]

I had a trainer at 24 hour fatness ask me what I was doing when I was doing Zerchers. I get LOTS of looks doing hang power snatches. My wife gets LOTS of looks when she DL’s more than the guy next to her is half squatting.

I overheard the gym owner telling someone that he was planning on getting rid of the power rack because no one uses it. I bout shat a brick and went to him and asked about it. He said he would sell it and I got pissed off and told him I use it every time I work out. He said it was for sale and walked away.

WTF!!!

So you wont see squats at my gym anymore, which is why Im looking for a new gym.

That thread title was fucking confusing.

me and this powerlifter guy are the only ones ive seen doing good mornings. But i use like 155 and he does them with like 225.

[quote]majicka wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
majicka wrote:
fabiop wrote:
Single-leg exercises, such as bulgarian split squat, lunges, step up…I rarely (if ever) do them, and I can safely bet nobody at my gym even know them.

x2. I get very funny looks when doing Bulgarian Split Squats but then most of the people at my gym just seem to do workouts consisting of five different chest or bicep exercises…

There’s no such thing as a “Bulgarian Split Squat”. You’re doing static lunges with the rear leg elevated. Very simple.

Thou shalt not overly complicate exercise names.

Any exercise that has you in a lunge position is a lunge, not a squat. A squat is not a unilateral exercise, so stop calling lunges “split squats”.

You knew exactly what we meant, the name we used is not uncommon. I don’t see what the fuss is about.[/quote]

It’s just sloppy and a sign of bad rhetorical form.

Trap-bar deadlifts, split squats, ATG Squats, front squats. Just guys who train chest, bis and shoulders and then talk about why they can’t get big.

Sit ups. I see crunches, leg raises, and ab machines but no Sit Ups.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
Most exercises that really WORK…sorry maybe I’m a little bitter after working out at a “health club” for a few years.[/quote]

I would be bitter if I turned blue as well.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
majicka wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
majicka wrote:
fabiop wrote:
Single-leg exercises, such as bulgarian split squat, lunges, step up…I rarely (if ever) do them, and I can safely bet nobody at my gym even know them.

x2. I get very funny looks when doing Bulgarian Split Squats but then most of the people at my gym just seem to do workouts consisting of five different chest or bicep exercises…

There’s no such thing as a “Bulgarian Split Squat”. You’re doing static lunges with the rear leg elevated. Very simple.

Any exercise that has you in a lunge position is a lunge, not a squat. A squat is not a unilateral exercise, so stop calling lunges “split squats”.

You knew exactly what we meant, the name we used is not uncommon. I don’t see what the fuss is about.

It’s just sloppy and a sign of bad rhetorical form.[/quote]

‘Bad rhetorical form’? You’re talking out of your ass.

No I’m not. I’m just surpassing the status quo, as usual.

majicka wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
majicka wrote:
fabiop wrote:

You knew exactly what we meant, the name we used is not uncommon. I don’t see what the fuss is about.

It’s just sloppy and a sign of bad rhetorical form.[/quote]

Just kill yourself. Seriously.

Bulgarian Split Squats are what the exercise is called.

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
majicka wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
majicka wrote:
fabiop wrote:

It’s just sloppy and a sign of bad rhetorical form.

Just kill yourself. Seriously.

Bulgarian Split Squats are what the exercise is called.[/quote]

How the FUCK is “Bulgarian Split Squat” more complicated than “static lunges with the rear leg elevated”.

The only logical explanation in my mind for your statement is that you are being facetious and your previous behavior on this site has caused the rest of us to actually believe that you are being serious when you say nutty shit.

Rarely ever see anyone deadlift. When I do it’s some sort of romanian deadlift-ish movement with ~115-135 pounds.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
How the FUCK is “Bulgarian Split Squat” more complicated than “static lunges with the rear leg elevated”.

The only logical explanation in my mind for your statement is that you are being facetious and your previous behavior on this site has caused the rest of us to actually believe that you are being serious when you say nutty shit.[/quote]

Because the latter is logical and intuitive. A person familiar with the basic lunge movement could easily deduce the exercise based on my description, but not the former.

The former description is fundamentally misleading, as I have pointed out in my last post. To whom are you doing a service by calling it a squat, when it’s not? The country of Bulgaria? Forget tradition, think outside the box, and make a contribution to a lost virtue: the precision of language.

Naming conventions are important in fitness for the same reasons as elsewhere: Names ought to be descriptive to facilitate communication and comprehension.

You’ve heard coaches like Cressey and A.C. lecture about the importance of understanding functional anatomy as a “basic prerequisite” of working in this field? Well, along with that comes the ability to label exercises properly and scientifically. You sound like a novice a when you say things like “Bulgarian Squat” or “Turkish get-up”. It isn’t proper, it isn’t scientific, you won’t find it in any kinesiology textbook.

Giving different names to fundamentally alike exercises, such as the lunge and “Bulgarian split squat”, also exhibits a lack of understanding. “Front Squats” and “Back Squats” have similar names precisely because they’re two variations of the same basic movement. With lunges and “static lunges”, it ought to be the same. Take some pride in your work and label the exercises properly.

I’m almost never facetious online. I don’t see the point. This is the one chance I have to say exactly what I think in the way that I want. Why would I want to post facetious nonsense? It seems like the biggest waste of time in the world to me.

Stronghold wrote:

The only logical explanation in my mind for your statement is that you are being facetious and your previous behavior on this site has caused the rest of us to actually believe that you are being serious when you say nutty shit.

Because the latter is logical and intuitive. A person familiar with the basic lunge movement could easily deduce the exercise based on my description, but not the former.

The former description is fundamentally misleading, as I have pointed out in my last post. To whom are you doing a service by calling it a squat, when it’s not? The country of Bulgaria? Forget tradition, think outside the box, and make a contribution to a lost virtue: the precision of language.

Naming conventions are important in fitness for the same reasons as elsewhere: Names ought to be descriptive to facilitate communication and comprehension.

You’ve heard coaches like Cressey and A.C. lecture about the importance of understanding functional anatomy as a “basic prerequisite” of working in this field? Well, along with that comes the ability to label exercises properly and scientifically. You sound like a novice a when you say things like “Bulgarian Squat” or “Turkish get-up”. It isn’t proper, it isn’t scientific, you won’t find it in any kinesiology textbook.

Giving different names to fundamentally alike exercises, such as the lunge and “Bulgarian split squat”, also exhibits a lack of understanding. “Front Squats” and “Back Squats” have similar names precisely because they’re two variations of the same basic movement. With lunges and “static lunges”, it ought to be the same. Take some pride in your work and label the exercises properly.

I’m almost never facetious online. I don’t see the point. This is the one chance I have to say exactly what I think in the way that I want. Why would I want to post facetious nonsense? It seems like the biggest waste of time in the world to me.[/quote]

If the sole purpose of a name was to accurately and completely describe and illustrate the nature of something, there would be no need of names at all. Rather than “Pine”, we would say “Coniferous evergreen indigenous to the majority of the Northern Hemisphere, often cultivated for timber”. You seem to be reaching so valiantly to appear intellectual to others here on this board that you are forgetting the basic tenants of the things you discuss.

Had you actually had any relative training experience, you would know that a lunge and a split squat, while similar, are not the same movement. If they were, then why would the “with rear foot elevated” modifier be necessary at all? If you want to argue semantics, we can certainly do that, but you’re starting off (forgive the pun) with the wrong foot.

In a lunge, the trainee’s weight travels forwards…they quite literally lunge forwards. In a split squat, the trainee’s weight travels down, which is facilitated by the elevation of the rear foot. These differences in eccentric action are what differentiate the movements from each other.

Stronghold wrote:

I’m almost never facetious online. I don’t see the point. This is the one chance I have to say exactly what I think in the way that I want. Why would I want to post facetious nonsense? It seems like the biggest waste of time in the world to me.[/quote]

are you even jacked?

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
are you even jacked?[/quote]

Yeah, I’m nearly as jacked as Mike Boyle or Alwyn Cosgrove.

Generally the exercises that don’t pack a punch are the ones that I see avoided. I like to think that my gym has a pretty large amount of serious lifters. A few guys have the strength and quality of muscle possessed by pro bodybulders and powerlifters. It’s funny how all the small people are caught doing the ridiculous exercises like 1 arm snatches and bulgarian split squats.

The funniest thing in the world at my gym are two brothers who train day in and day out, and I’ve seen them here for months, making no progress. They are using ridiculous methods, I think it’s some crossfit shit, and they do endless super sets trmendous volume and use hardly any weight. They spot each other on every exercises including curls and do about 15-20 forced reps on top of there ariginal set of 20 reps.

Fucking 10 sets of 40 reps for one exercise is half of those reps are forced is just ridiculous. I don’t like to get on people at the gym but to be distracted by guys grunting like Ronnie benching the 200 pound dumbells while they’re curling the 35’s is just ridiculous. I mentioned to my workout parnter and the guy doing pushdowns next to me that there should be a rule of no grunting using dumbbells 60 pounds or less. We were dying laughing for a while.