What Does Your Spouse Think of Your Weight Training

I was chatting with some of the regulars at my gym and one of the guys whom we had not seen in a while commented that his wife was teasing him about getting smaller and that he needed to get to the gym more. That was followed by comments by us about “girlie man” etc. Another guy quietly commented that his wife said he was getting too big. That was met with silence and it got me thinking, my wife does not say much at all about my training or its results. The only time she has pointed out that I looked really good was when I was a lean as I had been since I met her but was more of a product of being too busy (coaching, playing sports and going to school) to eat than any attempt to diet. Nothing much since. That’s not to say she does not support my time at the gym, buying supps and lots of food, equipment, etc. Just doesn’t say much otherwise.

What do your spouses say? What would you do/think if you ever got too big for your spouses tastes?

I don’t smoke, drink, gamble or fuck hookers. So she is okay with my hobby. :wink:

It took awhile for her to come around. I have been the same weight for awhile, just a lot sloppier before. When I was super fat, she would get upset if I ate more than two eggs. Now that I’m only sorta fat she is completely fine with me eating 4-5 dozen a week.

She comments that my legs are much larger now lately, and before it was my neck (Fucking finding 18.5-19" by 36-37 work shirts is a bitch. I grew out of my 18" necks about a month ago). She likes to see all my vids, but say they freak her out. She will randomly grab certain muscles and comment about them, and every once in awhile it is positive. :wink:

In general, the more time that passes, the more she is behind it.

Shit, she was cool with me dropping the coin for a sled and $700 worth of protein at a time. I can’t complain really.

I feel like women don’t really care about male bodies that hard to know. It’s like asking us men if we prefer 350 pound 6’6 women with 50% bodyfat or 250 4’8 women. We might have an opinion but don’t care much either way.

we care much more about our bodies then our SO’s, or anyone else for that matter, ever will.

this is one thing that people like Celtics fail to realize.

My gf is completely supportive, and will probably be for some time. I got her hooked on weights as well. =)

I would have to get really fucking huge for her to say it’s too much of a good thing. Like Batista or Mariusz Pudz big. Which won’t happen. I’m still a puny weakling.

I hear what you guys are saying about females not caring etc. But I think thats just talk. I have an ex who, when we were dating, said she didnt care about how my body looked (I was about 185lb 8% bf at 5’10). But now shes dating some out of shape (like fat ass) and she constantly texts me at all times looking to meet up etc. Why is that, if she didnt care about that stuff? He’s supposedly the “sweetest guy” and leaves her sweet messages. I most certainly wasnt some awesome boyfriend lol! Just look how the chicks in tilf love all the guys who post!

Women just dont want to SEEM like they like it as much.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:
we care much more about our bodies then our SO’s, or anyone else for that matter, ever will.

this is one thing that people like Celtics fail to realize.

[/quote]

god yes, i used to like obsess over what i ate. as if one doughnut would RUIN my physique. but in reality. even if it added a whole percent of bodyfat. hawt girls at the pool will never notice nor care in the difference between 8 or 10 percent or whatever.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:
[/quote]

This is probably very true. But the kicker is the guy’s wife cared when he got too big in her eyes. You can tell he lifts and has for a while, but nothing close to competing. Maybe the idea that one’s goals can make them less attractive to their mate, and therefore a real choice needs to be made about whose body ideal counts more… It does not sit well with me. There is so much tied into identity here. On one hand there is the goal to get bigger, on the other the result of making oneself less attractive to their mate.

I am sure this could be expanded to tattoos, piercings, etc. but I think there are some significant differences.

[quote]SickAbs wrote:
I hear what you guys are saying about females not caring etc. But I think thats just talk. I have an ex who, when we were dating, said she didnt care about how my body looked (I was about 185lb 8% bf at 5’10). But now shes dating some out of shape (like fat ass) and she constantly texts me at all times looking to meet up etc. Why is that, if she didnt care about that stuff? He’s supposedly the “sweetest guy” and leaves her sweet messages. I most certainly wasnt some awesome boyfriend lol! Just look how the chicks in tilf love all the guys who post!

Women just dont want to SEEM like they like it as much. [/quote]

I know it has been shown in other species and I believe its has been shown in humans as well - females separate the need for a mate that acts as protector and resource (food, water, money, etc.) and those with whom to breed. Apparently, much of the male animal world are cuckolds.

[quote]SickAbs wrote:

I agree with much of what you said. Now your ex does come off like she might have some HO In her.

[quote]SickAbs wrote:

x2 now that I’m newly single and have been seeing chicks lately they all make comments. When I was w/ my ex of a couple years she didn’t really seem to care. Actually, I think she thought I was a narcissist, lol.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[quote]SickAbs wrote:

I know it has been shown in other species and I believe its has been shown in humans as well - females separate the need for a mate that acts as protector and resource (food, water, money, etc.) and those with whom to breed. Apparently, much of the male animal world are cuckolds. [/quote]

Cant help who youre attracted to.

[quote]markdp wrote:

[quote]SickAbs wrote:

x2 now that I’m newly single and have been seeing chicks lately they all make comments. When I was w/ my ex of a couple years she didn’t really seem to care. Actually, I think she thought I was a narcissist, lol.[/quote]

She only tells you she doesnt care. When her girlfriends are talking to her about how hot you are, abs arms etc. She def loves it. Makes them feel better about themselves.

[quote]SickAbs wrote:

[quote]markdp wrote:

[quote]SickAbs wrote:

x2 now that I’m newly single and have been seeing chicks lately they all make comments. When I was w/ my ex of a couple years she didn’t really seem to care. Actually, I think she thought I was a narcissist, lol.[/quote]

She only tells you she doesnt care. When her girlfriends are talking to her about how hot you are, abs arms etc. She def loves it. Makes them feel better about themselves.[/quote]

What about if all the friends have unathletic/never-been-athletic spouses? Still think they talk about that?

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[quote]SickAbs wrote:

[quote]markdp wrote:

[quote]SickAbs wrote:

She only tells you she doesnt care. When her girlfriends are talking to her about how hot you are, abs arms etc. She def loves it. Makes them feel better about themselves.[/quote]

What about if all the friends have unathletic/never-been-athletic spouses? Still think they talk about that?[/quote]

Um yes, assuming they have eyes.

My wife supports me wholeheartedly. She has commented in the past that my head looks a bit small now relative to the rest of my body and I should focus on getting leaner (which subconsciously or following her advice I am now doing).

Intense training is the best way for me to keep my sugar in check so I want to lift forever and she supports that (in fact she works on the diet side while I work on the exercise side). I give tips to her where possible for improving certain muscle groups so we work well together.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
My wife supported me tonight in the gym by placing 105 lbs. of plates on my back so I could do weighted pushups (4 x 7)!
[/quote]

Holy shit that’s strong!

Haha, Push!

My wife has never been one to hand out compliments, so she doesn’t care how I look as long as I don’t turn into an obese pig… which will never happen anyway.

She’s supportive by making sure I have a protein source readily available at all times in the fridge.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
She’s supportive by making sure I have a protein source readily available at all times in the fridge. [/quote]

Timely post ID, my wife and I are actually working on low/zero sugar, mid to high protein recipes to organise my diet better (with work schedule and all). Got to say I see a light at the end of the tunnel involving her with my goals :slight_smile: