T Nation

What Does This Forum Teach?

What exactly does this forum teach to a newbie? What information can be gleaned from it that cant be found in a cheap mag

I like to think it teaches newbs a bit of humility on the internet.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I like to think it teaches newbs a bit of humility on the internet. [/quote]
Yeah thats a given because humility comes across in every post

[quote]steven alex wrote:
What exactly does this forum teach to a newbie? [/quote]

Good question. Sure most of the muscle rags on the stands are just crap, with more ads than actual articles, but sometimes, all a new trainer really needs is some basic structure. It doesn’t need to be the most individually tailored diet, or a training program geared towards specific weak points, it simply needs to be something more than the directionless mindset that most newbs bring into the weight room (and the kitchen) with them.

Every time some young kid has asked me for “my diet”, or “my program”, I would outline what I was doing (in a round about way), BUT I would detail WHY I was doing certain things more than focusing on the tiny specifics. Hopefully that was the part they would take away from speaking to me.

S

What exactly does this forum teach to a newbie? What information can the good doc teach anyone that cant be arrived at by reading any cheap mag? [/quote]

1. this forum is not intended to teach a newbie - there is a beginners forum
  2. information on this forum is free - so less cost than a cheap mag
  3. why must professor X have alternative information to that found in other outlets for it to be valid?
  4. all you ever do is complain about another poster - where is all your advice to newbies to improve this board and forum?

If posters could cut all the bullshit, trollery, and personal attacks, a newbie might actually be exposed to the essence of different styles and thoughts on training with the hope that they might experiment with the different approaches and find one (or several) that work for them.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Sure most of the muscle rags on the stands are just crap[/quote]

I don’t agree.

Most of the mainstream newsstand mags have enough information for a newbie to get started and build on. There is far more emphasis on compound exercises and basic nutrition than there was in the past. A large number of very respected coaches often write articles in them too. In recent months I have thumbed through a few and seen articles from Shelby Starnes and others on carb cycling and basic nutrition. It is not a big leap to read that, google the guy and go from there.

Next step is to go to a gym and learn what works for yourself.

I find it a bit ridiculous that someone has started a thread on a free board complaining that people aren’t spending enough time explaining absolutely everything to the last detail, especially when there are thousands of free articles and an entire forum for beginners alongside two separate Q &A forums from respected coaches, and a separate nutrition forum.

If Steven Alex doesn’t feel this enough why doesn’t he stop bitching and go to the beginners forum and help them out?

Someone get a newb in there

I will make a thread for that lil guy to post on and ill make him grow and become an aesthetic god without the zyzz death problems

Im srs

Noob feel free to ask and tell us why it should be you and not that other noob thats playing call of duty and raging as we speak

How to cuss at people on internet forums

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
If posters could cut all the bullshit, trollery, and personal attacks, a newbie might actually be exposed to the essence of different styles and thoughts on training with the hope that they might experiment with the different approaches and find one (or several) that work for them.[/quote]
Boom.
Nail on the head.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Sure most of the muscle rags on the stands are just crap[/quote]

I don’t agree.

Most of the mainstream newsstand mags have enough information for a newbie to get started and build on. There is far more emphasis on compound exercises and basic nutrition than there was in the past. A large number of very respected coaches often write articles in them too. In recent months I have thumbed through a few and seen articles from Shelby Starnes and others on carb cycling and basic nutrition. It is not a big leap to read that, google the guy and go from there.
[/quote]

This is a recent thing I’ve noticed over the last year or so. I imagine that with all of the latest ‘coaches’ and ‘gurus’ online, it was a smart decision to get the occasional article in written format that people have already been reading online.

I’ve still got my Flex subscription ($15 for 3 years), but maybe I cut out one or two articles or contest results pages from each issue and then recycle the rest. Not the way I clung to them despite reading the same articles month after month when I first started training.

If you’re internet savvy though, there’s really no reason for the magazines,… except of course the fact that there’s an editor approving what information gets out there with some sort of stamp of approval. That’s the issue with online forums, everyone has a voice. Sometimes the loudest voice seems to rise above the rest. That doesn’t mean that it’s always correct though.

S

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

What exactly does this forum teach to a newbie? What information can the good doc teach anyone that cant be arrived at by reading any cheap mag? [/quote]

3. why must professor X have alternative information to that found in other outlets for it to be valid?
  4. all you ever do is complain about another poster - where is all your advice to newbies to improve this board and forum?[/quote]
  1. There is a noob forum, but all forums can be of use to a beginner.

2. Yes, it is. And some noobs should read a lot of the articles in addition to taking part in forums.

3. He doesn’t. Who said he needs to offer alternative information for his suggestions to be valid? At this point of fitness history, NONE of us have anything new to say! Seriously, no one!

But here’s what’s irritating: claiming or implying or acting like one has expertise and knows how things are done yet doesn’t offer any information regarding this expertise. Saying stuff like, “I’d tell a noob to get in the gym,” “Eat more,” “Eat less,” and “I can’t say…” to the most basic questions is highly irritating. If you “can’t say”, it’s impolite to lead on (to most people).

1. I’m not sure I’ve seen the OP complain. I know I PERSONALLY have challenged another poster and asked for his input on some things.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

4. all you ever do is complain about another poster - where is all your advice to newbies to improve this board and forum?[/quote]

2. Yes, it is. And some noobs should read a lot of the articles in addition to taking part in forums.

3. He doesn’t. Who said he needs to offer alternative information for his suggestions to be valid? At this point of fitness history, NONE of us have anything new to say! Seriously, no one!

But here’s what’s irritating: claiming or implying or acting like one has expertise and knows how things are done yet doesn’t offer any information regarding this expertise. Saying stuff like, “I’d tell a noob to get in the gym,” “Eat more,” “Eat less,” and “I can’t say…” to the most basic questions is highly irritating. If you “can’t say”, it’s impolite to lead on (to most people).

1. I’m not sure I’ve seen the OP complain. I know I PERSONALLY have challenged another poster and asked for his input on some things.
    [/quote]
  1. The statement that anything X says can already be found in a magazine and therefore is not sufficient suggests he should be giving different/ additional information as well.

2. He does moan about X nonstop, seemingly anything I have seen is some form of complaint. He’s now gone and started this passive aggressive thread to continue it.

In addition to the stickies, hundreds of articles, expert coach Q&A forums, beginner forum, nutrtion forum, TCell, and the search function which will provide thousands of threads with over a decade of information, and many regular intelligent forum posters such as yourself and Stu, it is ridiculous to make a thread and say that new trainers are being poorly served by this site (which is the premise of this thread).

It is an entirely negative thread and adds to the negative vibe in many of the threads here recently.

Someone like yourself is a massive asset to the board, but I struggle to see the benefit of the OP making this thread when there is ZERO evidence of him providing any benefit to anyone at all apart from the usual complaining about you know who.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[/quote]
  1. The statement that anything X says can already be found in a magazine and therefore is not sufficient suggests he should be giving different/ additional information as well.

2. He does moan about X nonstop, seemingly anything I have seen is some form of complaint. He’s now gone and started this passive aggressive thread to continue it.

In addition to the stickies, hundreds of articles, expert coach Q&A forums, beginner forum, nutrtion forum, TCell, and the search function which will provide thousands of threads with over a decade of information, and many regular intelligent forum posters such as yourself and Stu, it is ridiculous to make a thread and say that new trainers are being poorly served by this site (which is the premise of this thread).

It is an entirely negative thread and adds to the negative vibe in many of the threads here recently.

Someone like yourself is a massive asset to the board, but I struggle to see the benefit of the OP making this thread when there is ZERO evidence of him providing any benefit to anyone at all apart from the usual complaining about you know who. [/quote]

Thank you very much for the compliment! I try to offer some knowledge I have but I’m by no means a top notch expert. Again, thanks; it means a lot.

I get your points, totally! There is a ton of good information on this site.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[/quote]

Someone like yourself is a massive asset to the board, but I struggle to see the benefit of the OP making this thread when there is ZERO evidence of him providing any benefit to anyone at all apart from the usual complaining about you know who. [/quote]
OP fixed for posters sensibilities

That this forum might have the potential to be the new misc.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
That this forum might have the potential to be the new misc.[/quote]

i don’t think T-Nation’s angus is peppered for that

I’m responsible for the dmbmericanbaby copy/pasta srs

she sent me noodz and pics of her eating a banana and I kept asking for spoon pics until she replied:

Lol u think I have time to read this?? U think if I replied with paragraphs of what I thought about u along with false accusations you’d read it? I’m a complete stranger what do I know. I certainly know I wouldn’t be obsessing over their every move in life. Get one and stay off the internet for 5 min, reality is so much better…trust me! Get some fresh air…find Jesus…do something besides harrassing girls for a fucking pic with a spoon on their face cause ur ridiculously “star struck” over some girl that gave u 5 min of her time…jerk off to that and my fake pictures, cause I’m not a real person at all! I’m a fabricated girl the internet made up! Take that for reality! Actually ur really talking to a robot. Have a nice life loser … go gap to more girls u couldn’t get in the real world. Or whatever u bodybuilding. Com fags like to do. I’m gonna have the last laugh. Better have enough money cause their gonna need it! :wink: I’m lovin this

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

she sent me noodz and pics of her eating a banana and I kept asking for spoon pics until she replied:

Lol u think I have time to read this?? U think if I replied with paragraphs of what I thought about u along with false accusations you’d read it? I’m a complete stranger what do I know. I certainly know I wouldn’t be obsessing over their every move in life. Get one and stay off the internet for 5 min, reality is so much better…trust me! Get some fresh air…find Jesus…do something besides harrassing girls for a fucking pic with a spoon on their face cause ur ridiculously “star struck” over some girl that gave u 5 min of her time…jerk off to that and my fake pictures, cause I’m not a real person at all! I’m a fabricated girl the internet made up! Take that for reality! Actually ur really talking to a robot. Have a nice life loser … go gap to more girls u couldn’t get in the real world. Or whatever u bodybuilding. Com fags like to do. I’m gonna have the last laugh. Better have enough money cause their gonna need it! :wink: I’m lovin this[/quote]

wtf is going on?

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

Lol u think I have time to read this?? U think if I replied with paragraphs of what I thought about u along with false accusations you’d read it? I’m a complete stranger what do I know. I certainly know I wouldn’t be obsessing over their every move in life. Get one and stay off the internet for 5 min, reality is so much better…trust me! Get some fresh air…find Jesus…do something besides harrassing girls for a fucking pic with a spoon on their face cause ur ridiculously “star struck” over some girl that gave u 5 min of her time…jerk off to that and my fake pictures, cause I’m not a real person at all! I’m a fabricated girl the internet made up! Take that for reality! Actually ur really talking to a robot. Have a nice life loser … go gap to more girls u couldn’t get in the real world. Or whatever u bodybuilding. Com fags like to do. I’m gonna have the last laugh. Better have enough money cause their gonna need it! :wink: I’m lovin this[/quote]

Olololololol

Yup, definitely heading towards the misc