T Nation

What Does the Longevity of Being on T Look Like?

I am 40, starting TRT (Cyp, 100mg a week). This is obviously a long term commitment. What is the impact on one’s body for long periods of time on TRT? Am I still taking this at 60? What would the ramifications be after 20 years on TRT? Outside of complete natural production shut down.

1 Like

If you stay at levels under say 1200 you may actually end up living longer than someone with very low natural levels. If you’re constantly at 2000 you may take a few years off your life but we really don’t know. If you’re at 5000 for a long time you’ll definitely shave some years. Things like genetics will likely dictate what happens. @unreal24278 can probably give you a good answer to your question.

2 Likes

However long you live will kick ass compared to however long you would live with low T, IMO.

1 Like

I know a few guys like this, wish I was one of them (60s and 7 years TRT, not 20).

These guys look incredible, lipids are good, renal function, LFTs, etc. Many were AAS users that just moved to TRT when they stopped. But, they kept training, exercising, eating right, never stopped doing what athletes do to stay in shape.

More muscle, less fat, better memory, etc. Stop acting like this is some kind of death sentence

This actually happens fairly rapidly. Not over time

If it helps you process this, it is no different than requiring insulin. You would not deprive yourself of that would you? Your body needs testosterone to function properly. Don’t believe all the BS that it is the evil of all evils.

1 Like

This article (posted two days ago) talks about the results of an 11-year study:

Long story short: You’ll be fine. Better than fine, even.

Pretty stark difference between mortality rates between the TRT and non-TRT group. I am not sure what levels those men were achieving though with once every 12 week shots. Might be apples to oranges?

Differential effects of 11 years of long-term injectable testosterone undecanoate therapy on anthropometric and metabolic parameters in hypogonadal men with normal weight, overweight and obesity in comparison with untreated controls: real-world data from a controlled registry study

Results Long-term TTh in hypogonadal men, irrespective of weight at baseline, produced improvements in body weight, waist circumference (WC) and body mass index (BMI). Furthermore, TTh decreased fasting blood glucose and HbA1c and improved lipid profiles. Gradual decreases in blood pressure (systolic and diastolic) and pulse pressure occurred in men treated with T in each group. Marked reductions in mortality and major cardiovascular events were recorded in men receiving TTh.

Conclusions: Our findings demonstrate that TTh produces reductions in weight, WC, and BMI. There were 77 (19.5%) deaths in the untreated groups and 23 (5.4%) in the T-groups. Based on these findings we suggest that long-term TTh in overweight and obese hypogonadal men produces progressive and sustained clinically meaningful weight loss and that TTh may contribute to reductions in mortality and incident major adverse cardiovascular events.

The study has been funded and led by Bayer, which is selling Nebido in Europe.
I would take their results with a grain of salt.

That doesn’t mean it’s incorrect or that conclusions can’t be drawn from it. I’d be more worried about a company that doesn’t do studies on the products they sell.

1 Like

Except that we are talking about a Nazi-supporting company with a dark past, to use an euphemism. This is their former chairman:

Dr. Fritz ter Meer, a director of IG Farben who was directly involved in developing the nerve gas, Zyklon-B, which killed millions of Jews, was sentenced to seven years in prison but was released after four years through the intervention of Rockefeller and J.J. McCloy, then U.S. High Commissioner for Germany. An unrepentant Fritz ter Meer, guilty of genocide and crimes against humanity, returned to work in Bayer where he served as Chairman for more than 10 years, until 1961.

Many of the big medical breakthroughs in the last 100 years came from expirements the Nazi’s did on unwilling participants. It is what it is.

Agree, a biased source can still produce valid data. It just requires work (examine methods, test subjects for each group, analysis) to determine if what they were doing was correct. Repeating the study is a great thing to do.

The big issue I have is that I am guessing my TRT results in roughly 2.5X the average total TT. They have a long ester shot of 1000 mg every 12 weeks, I take a shorter ester 3X a week for 200 mg total.

You mean like BMW and Mercedes to name a few?

I still prefer to stay far away from everything made by Bayer, especially after their marriage with Monsanto.
Anyway, I’m going off topic.

Monsanto is the scary one.

Volfkswagen was actually more involved in the German post WWI rise, with the help of a huge stream of money coming from the US. But that’s another story.

Fun fact: The US used Zyklon B on the US-Mexican border for decades…