What Does Hardcore Mean?

I’ve noticed in various articles, whether it be here on T-Nation or random magazines and websites, that somewhat frequently, people mention a workout that is just too “hardcore” of a workout for some people to complete. For instance, I was just reading part I of the Training Behind Bars article and it was saying how some of the inmates tried to train with the big guy but after a couple of weeks dropped out because it was too intense.

What does that mean exactly?

Now I’m just going to keep running with the inmate example because for this given moment it is the only example which I have enough information on to suggest a point.

The inmate was saying how he lifted heavy and almost never went outside of the 1-7 rep range. So how can someone not follow along, it is just exhaustion after three hours of non-stop squatting or what? I’ve always felt my workout was not “hardcore” or “intense” enough. So if any of you have any examples of a supposed hardcore or intense workout please share with me. I’m always down to try something that many people can’t do or something labeled as “intense”. I like to test my boundaries and challenge my body.

IMO…

Hardcore = A combination of a grueling program that’ll test physical and mental fortitude… (20-rep Squats,) as well as the ability for the athlete himself to push his/her body to its maximum potential with the most amount of intensity it can generate outside of injury.

[quote]SSC wrote:
the ability for the athlete himself to push his/her body to its maximum potential with the most amount of intensity it can generate outside of injury.[/quote]

I got that part but how do you achieve this in an 1-2 hour period weight training WITHOUT going towards injury and just plain stupidity.

I mean any old fool can set up a bar and just start doing endless sets of squats till he pukes and/or his body shuts down but how do you make it functional. To where 1 man does this “intense” workout as his normal routine 6 days a week, but when another lifter tries to go along with his program he drops out within a month or less.

[quote]Tysdon wrote:
I’ve noticed in various articles, whether it be here on T-Nation or random magazines and websites, that somewhat frequently, people mention a workout that is just too “hardcore” of a workout for some people to complete. For instance, I was just reading part I of the Training Behind Bars article and it was saying how some of the inmates tried to train with the big guy but after a couple of weeks dropped out because it was too intense.

Now I’m just going to keep running with the inmate example because for this given moment it is the only example which I have enough information on to suggest a point.

The inmate was saying how he lifted heavy and almost never went outside of the 1-7 rep range. So how can someone not follow along, it is just exhaustion after three hours of non-stop squatting or what? I’ve always felt my workout was not “hardcore” or “intense” enough. So if any of you have any examples of a supposed hardcore or intense workout please share with me. I’m always down to try something that many people can’t do or something labeled as “intense”. I like to test my boundaries and challenge my body.[/quote]

Not trying to be a dick but… If you have to ask this question you probaly better go do cardio with the girls. Just saying’

[quote]Beerguy wrote:
Tysdon wrote:

The inmate was saying how he lifted heavy and almost never went outside of the 1-7 rep range. So how can someone not follow along, it is just exhaustion after three hours of non-stop squatting or what? I’ve always felt my workout was not “hardcore” or “intense” enough. So if any of you have any examples of a supposed hardcore or intense workout please share with me. I’m always down to try something that many people can’t do or something labeled as “intense”. I like to test my boundaries and challenge my body.

Not trying to be a dick but… If you have to ask this question you probaly better go do cardio with the girls. Just saying’

[/quote]

So because I don’t magically know all the answers to everything I’m a pussy? Nice logic.

No you misunderstood me. All I meant is with the question “you” asked it would be better for you to do some cardio or… I guess knitting would be a good exercise as well. Just sayin’

[quote]Beerguy wrote:
No you misunderstood me. All I meant is with the question “you” asked it would be better for you to do some cardio or… I guess knitting would be a good exercise as well. Just sayin’[/quote]

Just sayin? Do some cardio? This coming from the guy who says he doesn’t do an ounce of cardio and doesnt want a six pack. If you did my non weight lifting training you’d wish you were dead after an hour. Come down to a serious MMA gym and do a three hour training session for their team and then reevaluate the advice you give.

[quote]Tysdon wrote:
Beerguy wrote:
No you misunderstood me. All I meant is with the question “you” asked it would be better for you to do some cardio or… I guess knitting would be a good exercise as well. Just sayin’

Just sayin? Do some cardio? This coming from the guy who says he doesn’t do an ounce of cardio and doesnt want a six pack. If you did my non weight lifting training you’d wish you were dead after an hour. Come down to a serious MMA gym and do a three hour training session for their team and then reevaluate the advice you give.

[/quote]

LMAO! I don’t want to do MMA or Body weight excersise. You know this is a bodybuilding forum right? I haven’t updated my stats in a while. I have been hitting the stairmaster fro 20min five times a week. Still don’t care about a sixpack either. Thanks for caring though. You have been entertaining. Sorry guys I will quit feeding the troll now.

If you have to ask, you’ll never know what it means to be hardcore.

Hardcore means that they show penis and vagina in the same frame.

[quote]SSC wrote:
IMO…

Hardcore = A combination of a grueling program that’ll test physical and mental fortitude… (20-rep Squats,) as well as the ability for the athlete himself to push his/her body to its maximum potential with the most amount of intensity it can generate outside of injury.[/quote]

pretty much gonna agree with this, i could ellaborate more but fuck it, this is close enough.

hardcore is

throwing up after you squat

having your knees bleed when you deadlift

giving it your all til it hurts then going back and doing it again the next day.

“a portrait of barely controlled fury” as Kai Greene would put it.

taking the nesecary means to be the best at whatever it is you do is hardcore, whether its BBing, PLing or Oly because they are all grueling in their own right.

[quote]Tysdon wrote:
SSC wrote:
the ability for the athlete himself to push his/her body to its maximum potential with the most amount of intensity it can generate outside of injury.

I got that part but how do you achieve this in an 1-2 hour period weight training WITHOUT going towards injury and just plain stupidity.

I mean any old fool can set up a bar and just start doing endless sets of squats till he pukes and/or his body shuts down but how do you make it functional. To where 1 man does this “intense” workout as his normal routine 6 days a week, but when another lifter tries to go along with his program he drops out within a month or less.[/quote]

Are you thick?

This thread was a complete and total fail.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

[/quote]

Somebody doesn’t know how to deadlift.

It means you wear a ski cap when it’s blistering hot outside. You drop the weights that are moderately heavy while making noise so everyone can turn and see how truly ‘hardcore’ you are. You never smile because you are ‘in the zone’, and other folks in the gym are nuisances, intending nothing more than to obstruct you from your quest for massiveness (because you’re already ‘huge’).

S

[quote]optheta wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

Somebody doesn’t know how to deadlift.[/quote]

i got 425x7 last time i did em, i think im doing ok.

Hardcore generally means that you’ll kill an orphan and not feel bad.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think so.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Hardcore generally means that you’ll kill an orphan and not feel bad.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think so.[/quote]

you are.

its actually when you kill a kid’s parents making them an orphan. b/c no one cares if an orphan dies or not.

I’m reading some of your replies and wondering how I am the troll. I’m asking a legitimate question. The word hardcore isn’t the key here. Its the fact that someone can do a workout 6 days a week and then have someone else train with that person and not physically be able to match it. And I’m not talking pure weight wise. Obviously having the weight scale to the strength of the individual.

[quote]BrownTrout wrote:
Hardcore means that they show penis and vagina in the same frame.[/quote]

LOL! This post wins!

[quote]Tysdon wrote:
I’m reading some of your replies and wondering how I am the troll. I’m asking a legitimate question. The word hardcore isn’t the key here. Its the fact that someone can do a workout 6 days a week and then have someone else train with that person and not physically be able to match it. And I’m not talking pure weight wise. Obviously having the weight scale to the strength of the individual.

[/quote]

Maybe it’s because your question is stupid and doesn’t make much sense. Like I said IN MY FIRST POST that you apparently read but didn’t interpret, it has to do with INTENSITY.

Take two guys. Same genetics. Same workout. Same nutrition. Different work ethics, though. The one who BUSTS his ass is the more “hardcore” one. It’s that simple. Plus, ‘hardcore’ is an extremely subjective, and kind of lame word.

You’re trying to make something stupidly simple into something that’s just stupid.