T Nation

What Does GPP Mean?

I hear everyone use GPP to refer to cardio type work, but what specificlly does it refer to and what would be some samples? I tried searching but all I come up with are posts saying to do GPP on non lift days… Not much help.

Thanks.

Chad Waterbury’s GPP ASAP is a good start.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=468125

It’s general physical preparedness. It’s broad based physical training, as opposed to training specifically for an event of some sort. For example, alot of military physical training is GPP, as it just builds general stamina and prepares you for a wide range of possible events.

That’s a horrible description. Anyway, read that article it will help.

Well this time of year bring on my favorite form of GPP. Basic. It involves tools, such as shovels hammers wheel barrows, wood. etc. Get a project and Do it. Do something physically demanding and get soemthing constructive done. Go tear something down and clean it up ior build/dig somethng etc…

But yes it is general physical preparedness. Anything that gets you in better conditon for well generak activities. picking things up and moving them, or mi=oving ones self over or through challanging situations.

pretty much go do something you enjoy. Co climb a tre. LOL

Hope that helps,
Phill

[quote]conorh wrote:
Chad Waterbury’s GPP ASAP is a good start.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=468125

Anyway, read that article it will help.[/quote]

Any more recommendation that can be found from the T-Nation library?

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
I hear everyone use GPP to refer to cardio type work, but what specificlly does it refer to and what would be some samples? I tried searching but all I come up with are posts saying to do GPP on non lift days… Not much help.

Thanks.[/quote]

GPP in my opinion is one of the hardest things you can to. If you hate traditional cardio then you have to try this. You can basically pick any kind of exercise you want. Some examples could be jumping jacks, pushups, bodyweight squats, burpees, jump rope. You perform each exercise for a specified amount of time, say 20 or 30 seconds and perform usually two or three minute rounds at a time. Here is an example:

This will consist of six exercises and you will perform each exercise for 30 seconds for a total of 3 minutes. the exercises are jumping jacks, split jumps, burpees, bodyweight squats, pushups, and jump rope. perform anywhere from 2-6 total rounds with one minute of rest in between. Be aware this is alot harder than it looks. Hard GPP has made me puke many of times. You can be very creative and make up your own routines but I believe burpees are one of the best exercises to include. there are examples of burpees on this website. One of the hardest workouts I’ve done had been to use burpees and shadow boxing. 30 seconds burpees and 30 seconds shadow boxing (non stop 1-2 punches as fast as possible) and continue for 3 minutes. Do that routine for a total of 6 rounds and you will have nothing but respect for GPP.

One of the best things about GPP is that you can do it anywhere. For people that use the excuse they are always traveling and cant find time to exercise, this is the perfect way to fit it in. You can do burpees and jump rope anywhere. It sure beats the hell out of running on a treadmill for an hour.

Good luck to you and let me know if you come up with you own GPP workouts that will have you puking.

Grab a large wheelbarrow (the kind they use to mix cement) and fill it with cinder blocks, or sand/dirt, or rocks or anything that will make it weigh a “ton”. Now take it for a walk around the block and you’ll get the idea.

yeah , i didn’t know gpp could be moving i just moved and im helping a friend move tomarrow i feel better about doing this now , i also had to lay some conceret the other day and i had to move alot of the 60 pound bags with my brother in-law and myself