What does english sound like?

[quote]krebcycle wrote:
Apparently, when we are fluent in a language we put the pauses between words in ourselves when listening to others. If you were to take a recording of someone speaking and measured the pauses between each word you would find that they are negligible if they exist at all, even when they seem long and drawn out.
When we listen to a language that we do not understand we don’t do this, hence why it seems that speakers of foreign languages do not stop for breath.[/quote]

There is a different rhythm to English than many other languages. Where they tend to be more de-dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum, English is more de-dum-de—dum-de-dum—de-dum. I’m sure that makes no sense, but it did in the TV show when the guy was vocalising it. In essence, English requires less knowledge of where to put the pauses, because the rhythm is more choppy. Doesn’t mean the words make any sense, but it is easier to pick them out.

[quote]Mattlebee wrote:

[quote]krebcycle wrote:
Apparently, when we are fluent in a language we put the pauses between words in ourselves when listening to others. If you were to take a recording of someone speaking and measured the pauses between each word you would find that they are negligible if they exist at all, even when they seem long and drawn out.
When we listen to a language that we do not understand we don’t do this, hence why it seems that speakers of foreign languages do not stop for breath.[/quote]

There is a different rhythm to English than many other languages. Where they tend to be more de-dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum, English is more de-dum-de—dum-de-dum—de-dum. I’m sure that makes no sense, but it did in the TV show when the guy was vocalising it. In essence, English requires less knowledge of where to put the pauses, because the rhythm is more choppy. Doesn’t mean the words make any sense, but it is easier to pick them out.[/quote]

I know what you’re saying, but from what I’ve read those pauses don’t actually exist in normal conversations, unless they are deliberately included. The spaces that we hear between words are actually added in by our brains when we process speech.

[quote]krebcycle wrote:

[quote]Mattlebee wrote:

[quote]krebcycle wrote:

There is a different rhythm to English than many other languages. Where they tend to be more de-dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum, English is more de-dum-de—dum-de-dum—de-dum. I’m sure that makes no sense, but it did in the TV show when the guy was vocalising it. In essence, English requires less knowledge of where to put the pauses, because the rhythm is more choppy. Doesn’t mean the words make any sense, but it is easier to pick them out.[/quote]

I know what you’re saying, but from what I’ve read those pauses don’t actually exist in normal conversations, unless they are deliberately included. The spaces that we hear between words are actually added in by our brains when we process speech.[/quote]

Y’all. ain’t. from. the. South. none. Right?

I’m learning two new languages and these spaces between words thing is very noticeable. I can’t make anything out of it if I don’t understand at least a few words.

It’s also interesting how I can be totally distracted, with two people talking in the background and my brain will automatically pick up the few words I could understand. Makes me wonder if I should just memorize hundreds of words and worry about the grammar later.

EDIT : I will also add that I’m glad English is THE international language because it’s much easier to learn than other European languages.
I’m also teaching Spanish (not formally) to someone and I was surprised she was using wrong verb tenses in plenty of situations…until I realized that there’s a specific verb tense for when I’m talking about wishes, needs, wants, etc. and of course I was using it without realizing.

It’s very funny how I’ve started to make the same grammar mistakes she does when speaking with her. I try to adapt my language level to hers so she can understand everything…and I get to this.

[quote]Edevus wrote:
Makes me wonder if I should just memorize hundreds of words and worry about the grammar later.

[/quote]

During the mid 80’s we lived in Germany near the French border. At the time I was 20-22 years old. I already had a base of French and German but, like a lot of adults, was frightened to use it because I thought I’d appear foolish and make mistakes. I ended up learning a lot just by partying with different people. When you’ve got a couple of drinks down your neck, your inhibitions are lower and you just go with it. No one trying to get into your pants gives a crap about your grammar. It’s kind of liberating :slight_smile:

[quote]orion wrote:
Like a traffic accident.

But then, I speak German, who am I to talk…

Disclaimer: traffic accident is not quite true.[/quote]

Okay…I have to ask a dumb question: is there no Austrian, as a language? Also, it Austria was also a part of Hungary, is Hungarian common in Austria? I think, at one point, Germany, Austria, and Hungary used to be one big empire and it wasn’t until the numerous revolutions of the 1840s that split everything up…same with Italy I think.

I like when girls speak spanish. It’s hot.

Those vids were great… I actually did not speak English until I was 5 but I can’t remember what it sounded like to me waaaay back then…
I probably actually mixed it in like the my parents.

Just dropping in to say that the way French people speak English is fucking awesome, especially the females.

Oh! oh! I know these. Hope you don’t mind me jumping in.

[quote]Grneyes wrote:

Okay…I have to ask a dumb question: is there no Austrian, as a language?

[/quote]

No. Austrians speak dialects of German.

The Austro-Hungarian empire was a hodge-podge of different ethnic groups including Magyars(Hungarian speakers.) There are not many Magyar speakers in Austria today.

Nazi empire. Hungary was not part of the greater Reich but a satelite state. Before that Prussia(Germany - Hohenzollerns) and the Austro-Hungarian empire(Habsburgs) were separate dynasties that squabbled with each other, Russia(Romanovs,) French, Poles etc for centuries.

[quote]
and it wasn’t until the numerous revolutions of the 1840s that split everything up…same with Italy I think. [/quote]

Not so. The Austro-Hungarian empire and Prussia survived until the end of WWI. Italy did not become united until 1870.