T Nation

What do You Think About This Workout?

I’d like to by around 200 pounds by X-mas, I’m at 185 now.

Day 1,4 - lower body
Day 2,6 - upper body
Day 3,5,7 - recover

Lower body rotate b/t the following workouts:
Squats 5 sets of 8 reps
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 4 sets of 10 reps

Deadlift 5 sets of 6 reps
Front Squat 4 sets of 10 reps
2min rest b/t work sets

Upper Body rotate b/t the following workouts:
Hang Power Clean + Push Press 4 sets of 8 reps
Bent Barbell Row 3 sets of 10 reps
Dips 3 sets of 10 reps

Chins 4 sets of 8 reps
Bench Press 3 sets of 10 reps

Rest will be 1 to 2 min b/t sets, and the weights will be the same across all sets, then when all reps are completed then I’ll go up 5-10 pounds.

I’m 32, 185 and 6’4". I have mediocre recovery (bad sleep, long hours, busy family, and I need to eat better).

Thanks in advance.

I may not be the most knowledgeable person on this board, but that isn’t enough volume. Try adding lunges, or weighted step ups to one or both lower body days.

Also military presses, or some more shoulder work to the second upper body day. You may want to lower the reps on the cleans to no more than 6 as well.

Knowing that your diet is poor is a good step, but try and correct it. Milk with every meal and eat A LOT!

Make sure you are making progress with the weights, keep adding weight every week and you could hopefully gain 15 pounds by Christmas.

[quote]PhxRph wrote:
I’d like to by around 200 pounds by X-mas, I’m at 185 now.

Day 1,4 - lower body
Day 2,6 - upper body
Day 3,5,7 - recover

Lower body rotate b/t the following workouts:
Squats 5 sets of 8 reps
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 4 sets of 10 reps

Deadlift 5 sets of 6 reps
Front Squat 4 sets of 10 reps
2min rest b/t work sets

Upper Body rotate b/t the following workouts:
Hang Power Clean + Push Press 4 sets of 8 reps
Bent Barbell Row 3 sets of 10 reps
Dips 3 sets of 10 reps

Chins 4 sets of 8 reps
Bench Press 3 sets of 10 reps

Rest will be 1 to 2 min b/t sets, and the weights will be the same across all sets, then when all reps are completed then I’ll go up 5-10 pounds.

I’m 32, 185 and 6’4". I have mediocre recovery (bad sleep, long hours, busy family, and I need to eat better).

Thanks in advance. [/quote]

I actually really like routines that focus on very few excersices (big ones obviously). However, I would add in some heavy days where you keep your rep range in 3-5 or even 1 for a max every month and a half or so.

Now I would only do this for your first big lift of the day. For example on the day you start with squats, do them heavy then continue the stiff leg as normal and vice versa with the deadlift day.

Don’t worry too much about sets on these days. Either work to your best 3 rep or 5 rep on the deadlift or squat, or work up to your best 3x3 or 5x5. Mixing it up a little more would be good for ya I think.

Most people are gonna tell ya you don’t have enough stuff in there but I think if you really bust your ass and add some real heavy shit in there it’ll work.

Your routine is fine. Add some lower rep work. Cut back the volume of the deadlifts. You may do better with higher intensity and lower volume. Mix the reps up every month or so.

You need to focus on getting enough sleep and getting your diet in order. Without adequate good food, you will not grow even with a perfect routine. If you don’t get enough sleep you will not grow. Manage your stress levels.

Thanks for the feedback.

i would think the hang clean reps are to high, their explosive movements in which your trying to force yourself to do heavier and heavier weights, i think 3-5 should do…

have u done full body splits before?? if u dont have much time and wanna put on weight, maybe your best off doing something like ‘starting strength’ by ripptoe and concentrating on eating clean and more…

also those workouts done heavy and intense plus food will make u sleep better, limit caffeine intake later in the day

just some suggestions