What Do You Think About My Workout?

I’m a newbie, 178 pounds, started at 20% weight, pretty weak upper body except for dips, I think.

I will post my workout along with my current maxes after 1-2 months of training. Please keep in mind that I also want to train for a marathon next September so I run after my workouts even if it will slow down lifting gains…

This workout has been cleaned up a bit after experimenting and doing too many exercises…

3 day per week routine with 2 alternating workouts, with 1-2 days of rest in between

Workout A
-Squats 3x5(195)
-Military press 3x5 (75)
-Deadlift 1x5 (200)
-Dips 3x5 (190)
-Hammer grip chin up 3x5(162)
-Abs (still experimenting to find what seems to work for me)

Workout B
-Squats 3x5(195)
-DB Bench press 3x5 (50 x 2)
-Seated calf raises 3x5 (180)
-Pendlay rows 3x5 (115)
-Barbell ball-crushing Shrugs :frowning: 3x5 (still experimenting with weight, over 120)
-Abs (still experimenting to find what seems to work for me)

Also - and I would like comments on this aspect, on my workout before my longest break of the week, I usually add some exercises:
-Pullups 3x5 (experimenting with weight)
-Tricep wide grip level pull 3x5 (120 or 130)
-DB bicep curl, kinda from hammer grip to supine at the top - 3x5 (27.5 or 30)
-Lateral raises 3x5 (15 I think, basically I’d like an exercise to supplement military press)

And then I run 30 to 40 minutes at 9mph plus 5 intervals at 11-12 mph, still working to building the mental patience to do 40 minutes without stopping but my body itself is good enough for it now.

I used to do lunges and partial squats for a knee problem… I have removed them. I am considering adding glute training based on an article I read here ( Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION )

Anyway please give me comments.

Hmmm…maybe you could put this in the conditioning forum, there’s knowledgeable people here but this is geared towards bodybuilding for large increases in mass. You’d probably get even more hits in the conditioning forum from perhaps some people that have run marathons.

Well I’m kinda hoping you guys can disregard the running training included and give feedback on the weightlifting workout - it’s at the end and so far recovery doesn’t visibly affect me from one workout to the next. I mentioned running just for disclosure…

The goal of what I posted above is gaining strength and mass, hopefully to convert my extra fat into muscle before bulking…

Convert? I really hope you mean replace.

Yes, no worries, I do understand it’s not the fat itself changing into muscle.

I did get some strength gains (10-25%) so far while maintaining my weight. I thought I had replaced 1.3% fat by muscle according to an electronic fat detection device, but I can’t rely on it as the next time I tested it twice in 2 minutes, it changed by 2%… But the strength gains are there, at the same weight.

Yes, no worries, I do understand it’s not the fat itself changing into muscle.

I did get some strength gains (10-25%) so far while maintaining my weight. I thought I had replaced 1.3% fat by muscle according to an electronic fat detection device, but I can’t rely on it as the next time I tested it twice in 2 minutes, it changed by 2%… But the strength gains are there, at the same weight.

“If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both.”

So you post on a BB forum which implies you want to get big. You’re training for a marathon at the admitted expense of size and strength … looks like you have some fat to lose.

Really confused at what you’re trying to accomplish. Do you know?

edit: oops sorry, I thought I was in the BB section.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
“If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both.”

So you post on a BB forum which implies you want to get big. You’re training for a marathon at the admitted expense of size and strength … looks like you have some fat to lose.

Really confused at what you’re trying to accomplish. Do you know?

edit: oops sorry, I thought I was in the BB section.[/quote]

It was in the BB section, thankfully we have mods who understand the difference.

OP: You have conflicting goals. Pick one and go for it.