T Nation

What Do You Mean No Chalk?

This post kinda falls in line with the “training in heat” thread.

Worked out today at lunch in a different gym on a Navy base.

Smaller than what I’m used to, only three stations for DB work. This is key because it’s shoulders/biceps day.

AC is busted. Hot as hell.

DB’s were the rubber kind, crosshatched grips but still slick as hell.

Looked for the chalk. Couldn’t find any.

Went over to the one and only power rack in the joint, no chalk over there either.

Surely the front desk has some behind the counter.

Me: “hey boss, could I get some chalk?”

Dude: “Sorry don’t have any, can’t use chalk in here…”

Me: “Whattya Mean ‘no chalk in here’? That’s pretty lame.”

Dude: “Well, all the equipment is less than a year old and the management doesn’t want it to get all trashed with chalk”

Me: “So I can’t even bring in my own next time? With no AC the weights are all slick.”

Dude: “Nope, we see you using it we’re supposed to throw you out”

Me: “Well, do you realize that the whole free weight section is hot as hell and everything in there is slippery? I mean, those of us who are using DB’s over 20lb’s are risking injury if you don’t keep the area cool or if there isn’t any chalk available.”

Dude (trying to be helpful personal trainer guy now): “You could always lower your poundages and use higher reps, or buy some gloves, we just got some new Harbingers in last week…”

Me: “I don’t want any gloves DUDE, I want to be able to grip the DB’s appropriately. When is the AC supposed to be fixed?”

Dude: “Not sure, have to ask…”

Me(cutting him off): “Nevermind, Dude, you’ve been a GREAT BIG help today”

So here’s my dilemma,

I could use my proffessional clout(I work in public health, safety and sanitation) and really make things uncomfortable for the management by issuing an unsafe environment complaint, or I could just shut the fuck up and drive over to another base and train where I know the equipment and chalk is in tact.

If I chose the former, I’ll be creating a big ol shit-storm and utilizing a bunch of Federal man-hours to solve the issue.

If I chose the latter, I’m back in the swing of things, but the folks who train at the chalk-less, un-air conditioned gym are still at risk for injury.

What to do, what to do.

Thoughts?

B.

Liquid chalk.

The easy answer is don’t train there and don’t do anything against the gym. They don’t allow chalk and you’re seriously thinking about getting them shut down because of it? Sounds pretty selfish. I train at home and I use chalk.

DB

I recommend the option of going to the other gym.

For those with out that option, I recommend sneeking in non-marking chalk. That’s right, they have clean chalk! Just go to any local climbing store. It’s a nice neat little baggy filled with some kind of resin. It leaves no clowd in the air, no powder on the floor and all most no marks of the bars. I’m sure management would never notice someone using it. The stuff is great for grip. It probably won’t work for DLers who chalk their shins.

By no means would I want to have them shut down, not at all. Too many people rely on it being there. I just want the safety issues addressed and resolved.

I don’t mind “my own chalk”; however, I don’t use it. Furthermorem, when I see chalk all over the bar, the floor, the benches, weights, etc…it kind of grosses me out…

I might try that liquid chalk someone else recommended, because it is suppose to sanitize the equipment and your hands.

If I chose the former, I’ll be creating a big ol shit-storm and utilizing a bunch of Federal man-hours to solve the issue.

But, you will feel oh so important.

If I chose the latter, I’m back in the swing of things, but the folks who train at the chalk-less, un-air conditioned gym are still at risk for injury.

Those poor endangered souls what will they do?

What to do, what to do.

Thoughts?

Yeah, get real.

D

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Dryhands.com

Best stuff I have tried besides actually being able to use chalk.

Rules is rules, go elsewere, don’t be a dick to the employees… Ever work a service job?

I don’t think I was being a dick to the dude, I knew he was just doing his job and that the real quarrel wasn’t with him.

As for dedicated’s comment, it’s got to be safe or corrections have to be made one way or the other. It just so happens that this discrepancy hits closer to home since it screwed with my workout today.

I’m looking into the liquid chalk or the dry resin’s you guys mentioned and will more than likely go that route.

I’ll still have to use this gym once or twice a month due to my work schedule and obligations, and if the AC isn’t fixed then I’ll use the stuff you guys listed above.

And I called a couple of people and they’re looking into the downed AC already thanks to complaints they had earlier in the week. Squeaky wheel gets the grease I suppose.

Thanks for the replies.

B.

Go lift in the other gym big fella.

Fuck these pussy’s! I say drop the hammer and get shit taken care of.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I don’t think I was being a dick to the dude, I knew he was just doing his job and that the real quarrel wasn’t with him.

As for dedicated’s comment, it’s got to be safe or corrections have to be made one way or the other. It just so happens that this discrepancy hits closer to home since it screwed with my workout today.

I’m looking into the liquid chalk or the dry resin’s you guys mentioned and will more than likely go that route.

I’ll still have to use this gym once or twice a month due to my work schedule and obligations, and if the AC isn’t fixed then I’ll use the stuff you guys listed above.

And I called a couple of people and they’re looking into the downed AC already thanks to complaints they had earlier in the week. Squeaky wheel gets the grease I suppose.

Thanks for the replies.

B. [/quote]

Just a question, why is no AC a health hazard??? A lot of people train without AC.

DB

No AC in and of itself isn’t the hazard, it’s the slippery surfaces that occur over prolonged exposure to heat and humidity. If the facility isn’t going to fix the AC and the the weight room stays like it is, the gym has to provide a means to ensure that no one will get hurt via dropping weights on their heads, etc.

Just use the other gym. As far as a safety issue for a gym with no A/C goes, I fail to see the problem. It’s 95 degrees here and my gym has no A/C. The doors are propped open and there are a couple of fans running, but it’s still hot as hell. They provide chalk, but relatively few people use it. I’ve yet to see any indication of a safety hazard because of the heat.

The guy at the desk is just doing his job and giving you the policy determined by the gym owner. It seems like you’re getting pretty wound up over nothing.

[quote]crunchy granola wrote:
Just use the other gym. As far as a safety issue for a gym with no A/C goes, I fail to see the problem. It’s 95 degrees here and my gym has no A/C. The doors are propped open and there are a couple of fans running, but it’s still hot as hell. They provide chalk, but relatively few people use it. I’ve yet to see any indication of a safety hazard because of the heat.

The guy at the desk is just doing his job and giving you the policy determined by the gym owner. It seems like you’re getting pretty wound up over nothing.
[/quote]

I have the same problem at my Navy gym. The Navy over-reacts to EVERYTHING. Somebody’s wife probably got chalk in her poor little eyes and complained, getting the attention of some fat-ass senior officer who never even goes into the gym who subsequently performs a perfect knee-jerk reaction and bans all chalk from all gyms. You can’t even do bench press or squat in a Navy gym with out a spotter, with any amount of weight, because some dumbass dropped a loaded barbell on his kneck and killed himself.

My Navy gym doesn’t allow chalk simply because it’s messy. No $h1t. I bring my own rosin bag and use it.

I would ask to speak to the manager and ask him why chalk is unauthorized. See if you can change his mind. Inform him that it’s very hot and the weights are slippery and dangerous. If he gives you a BS answer, find out who the Base Safety Officer is and tell him about the unsafe working conditions. Usually the issue is some local manager’s stupidity. “Just use lighter weight”, yea, thanks, Stud.

My recommendation is to bring your own and “act like ya’ know”.

lol im going to the navy soon and hoping to sent some weight lifting records for them, but with there wonderfull attidude who knows.

why dont u just wipe the sweat of your hands right before you lift, do your hands get that bad during the lifts?

[quote]PGJ wrote:
I would ask to speak to the manager and ask him why chalk is unauthorized. See if you can change his mind. Inform him that it’s very hot and the weights are slippery and dangerous. If he gives you a BS answer, find out who the Base Safety Officer is and tell him about the unsafe working conditions. Usually the issue is some local manager’s stupidity.[/quote]

This seems like a better idea before filing a formal complaint. If the manager’s an idiot, then go the formal route. I’d hate to see anyone in the service hurt because of sweaty palms.

-Dan

[quote]hazarddude334 wrote:
lol im going to the navy soon and hoping to sent some weight lifting records for them, but with there wonderfull attidude who knows.

why dont u just wipe the sweat of your hands right before you lift, do your hands get that bad during the lifts?[/quote]

nd w/ speling liike tht u r gonna maek a gr8 cadett!!!11

Seriously. What a joke. I’m certain that you will “sent” many weight lifting records for them; number of times lifting one’s ass out of the brig, perhaps?