What Do You Make of This?

So I responded to an ad that was on an internet classifieds website for an old truck and the owner has responded by calling me an ass wipe. Let me fill you in on the details, it’s a bit long.

First off I wrote him shortly after the truck was posted, around 13 hrs exactly, and I was polite saying that I would like to take a look at the truck, and that I could do so anytime in the evenings this week.

Well he never responded for 2 days, (a point to note is that this is a local selling website where you can advertise anything and in the year that I have been using it everyone responds within a day and I myself have sold a car on there and a few smaller items replying within a few hours), so I figure that 2 days is plenty of time to respond so I send him another email, saying, “do you ever check your email? I would like to look at your truck, if it is not available you should take your ad down.”

So now I get a response, a quick at that, saying “don’t tell me what to do ass wipe.” I reply by saying “wow your tuff calling me an asswipe sitting behind your computer,” then I politely tell him how pretty much everyone on the site replies quite quick and removes their ads if the item is gone, as well as informing all that inquire,especially if no phone number is left, which he never put in his ad, and I end by asking if he sold it, because I was actually still interested.

Now he replies again with this gem:

“i’M just as tuff in front of one jerkoff…whats up with the truck is none of your business…like i said you don’t tell dick (mr big [insert my university name here].HAHAHAHA)…”

So I’m not sure what half this response means, especially the school comment that he put in brackets, which he cunningly deduced by my email address. His first sentance makes no sense, if you take it as it’s wrote he’s basically saying hes just as tuff in front of a computer, as far as context goes based on previous emails, and his third sentance makes no sense at all, “like i said don’t tell dick.”

So I’m going to reply to him, but I thought this funny and pathetic and am also a bit lost as to what his problem is, so I thought I’d throw this up here to see what everyone else thought.

Maybe I was a bit rude in my second email asking him if ever looked at his email but based on my experience with the site people should reply at least within 2 days, especially if they’re selling a vehicle.

i think its pathetic that you’re going to keep engaging this guy. who cares. its his advertisment and his truck, and he can do whatever the hell he wants with it. at this point why would you even want to deal with him anyway. move on. life is too short

[quote]robo1 wrote:
i think its pathetic that you’re going to keep engaging this guy. who cares. its his advertisment and his truck, and he can do whatever the hell he wants with it. at this point why would you even want to deal with him anyway. move on. life is too short[/quote]

Well I care because the truck was cheap and came with a plow and I actually wanted to buy it.

honestly, this person sounds like they might have the intelligence and maturity of a 4th grader. as far as i know, 4th graders dont know how to operate vehicles and definitly dont care to repair them… maybe there is a reason its so cheap… its about to blow up

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
“do you ever check your email? I would like to look at your truck, if it is not available you should take your ad down.”[/quote]

I think he’s right. You’re an asswipe. At the very least, you lack manners, tact and politeness. I’m also quite sure you wouldn’t have addressed him so had he been standing in front of you.

Not everyone uses their computers daily. The guy owes you nothing, and you have no business telling him to put his ad down. Maybe he’s a first time user; or he could have a job where he’s not near computers often. There are tons of possible reasons for why he didn’t answer your email promptly. Your mistake is to assume that his reasons aren’t valid and that your time is more important than his.

Your second email should’ve read like this:

"Re: Truck for sale.

Dear Sir,

I’ve inquired previously about setting a time when I could go and see your truck. I’m sending you this email on the off chance that my first one didn’t make it.

If you prefer, you can call me at XXX-XXXX to discuss the sale and arrange the visit. Email can sometimes be slow in the back and forth and I’m looking to buy soon.

• Asswipe"

This way, you’re telling why you’re bothering him with a second email; you’re giving him an alternate way of contacting you if email is not ideal for him. You’re not assuming he’s dicking around and making you wait for nothing, neither are you telling him what to do with his ad.

As it is, I’m betting he’d rather give the truck free to someone else rather than sell it to you.

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
So I responded to an ad that was on an internet classifieds website for an old truck and the owner has responded by calling me an ass wipe. Let me fill you in on the details, it’s a bit long.

First off I wrote him shortly after the truck was posted, around 13 hrs exactly, and I was polite saying that I would like to take a look at the truck, and that I could do so anytime in the evenings this week.

Well he never responded for 2 days, (a point to note is that this is a local selling website where you can advertise anything and in the year that I have been using it everyone responds within a day and I myself have sold a car on there and a few smaller items replying within a few hours), so I figure that 2 days is plenty of time to respond so I send him another email, saying, “do you ever check your email? I would like to look at your truck, if it is not available you should take your ad down.”

So now I get a response, a quick at that, saying “don’t tell me what to do ass wipe.” I reply by saying “wow your tuff calling me an asswipe sitting behind your computer,” then I politely tell him how pretty much everyone on the site replies quite quick and removes their ads if the item is gone, as well as informing all that inquire,especially if no phone number is left, which he never put in his ad, and I end by asking if he sold it, because I was actually still interested.

“i’M just as tuff in front of one jerkoff…whats up with the truck is none of your business…like i said you don’t tell dick (mr big [insert my university name here].HAHAHAHA)…”

So I’m not sure what half this response means, especially the school comment that he put in brackets, which he cunningly deduced by my email address. His first sentance makes no sense, if you take it as it’s wrote he’s basically saying hes just as tuff in front of a computer, as far as context goes based on previous emails, and his third sentance makes no sense at all, “like i said don’t tell dick.”

So I’m going to reply to him, but I thought this funny and pathetic and am also a bit lost as to what his problem is, so I thought I’d throw this up here to see what everyone else thought.

Maybe I was a bit rude in my second email asking him if ever looked at his email but based on my experience with the site people should reply at least within 2 days, especially if they’re selling a vehicle. [/quote]

The problem is that you are an idiot. Telling other people what to do is wrong, it’s none of your business what he does. The fact that you are continuing to engage him speaks even worse of you.

The second email you sent was more rude than him not replying. Maybe he was out of town or working a lot the last couple days?

[quote]pookie wrote:
Joe84 wrote:
“do you ever check your email? I would like to look at your truck, if it is not available you should take your ad down.”

I think he’s right. You’re an asswipe. At the very least, you lack manners, tact and politeness. I’m also quite sure you wouldn’t have addressed him so had he been standing in front of you.

Not everyone uses their computers daily. The guy owes you nothing, and you have no business telling him to put his ad down. Maybe he’s a first time user; or he could have a job where he’s not near computers often. There are tons of possible reasons for why he didn’t answer your email promptly. Your mistake is to assume that his reasons aren’t valid and that your time is more important than his.

Your second email should’ve read like this:

"Re: Truck for sale.

Dear Sir,

I’ve inquired previously about setting a time when I could go and see your truck. I’m sending you this email on the off chance that my first one didn’t make it.

If you prefer, you can call me at XXX-XXXX to discuss the sale and arrange the visit. Email can sometimes be slow in the back and forth and I’m looking to buy soon.

• Asswipe"

This way, you’re telling why you’re bothering him with a second email; you’re giving him an alternate way of contacting you if email is not ideal for him. You’re not assuming he’s dicking around and making you wait for nothing, neither are you telling him what to do with his ad.

As it is, I’m betting he’d rather give the truck free to someone else rather than sell it to you.

[/quote]

Yes perhaps you’re right I could have been nicer in my second reply and I did acknowledge that at the end of my first post here, however he is not a first time user, he has several ads on there, (you can look at the ad history of a single user), and he is very quick to reply with his rude emails so he does use his computer often enough.

And yes I would have said it to his face, I don’t have a problem with speaking my mind to people, regardless of who it is, and while my response was a bit untactful I didn’t “order” him to take it down, I said “should.”

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Joe84 wrote:

Maybe I was a bit rude in my second email asking him if ever looked at his email but based on my experience with the site people should reply at least within 2 days, especially if they’re selling a vehicle.

The problem is that you are an idiot. Telling other people what to do is wrong, it’s none of your business what he does. The fact that you are continuing to engage him speaks even worse of you.[/quote]

I didn’t tell him what to do, I said you “should” take the ad down if it’s gone, that is common courtesy I think. I continued to engage him because believe it or not I actually still wanted to take a look at his truck, and while I responded to his comments I ended the email by restating my interest in the truck.

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
Yes perhaps you’re right I could have been nicer in my second reply and I did acknowledge that at the end of my first post here, however he is not a first time user, he has several ads on there, (you can look at the ad history of a single user), and he is very quick to reply with his rude emails so he does use his computer often enough. [/quote]

Whatever his reason, you should assume it’s valid and not even mention it to him. Pretend you’re talking to your grandma. Treat people with the same respect you expect to be treated with.

You might be as rude in person as you are in email; note that bravado and machismo aside, it’s not to your credit.

You’ll get more out of people with honey than you’ll do with vinegar; and had you proceeded differently, you might be driving around in your truck, instead of wasting your time arguing with the guy.

The title of this thread immediately reminded me of this.

Steve McCroskey: Johnny, what can you make out of this?
[Hands him the weather briefing]
Johnny: This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl…

/anyone???

I’m not sure what’s worse, the fact that you got your panties in a bunch because this guy didn’t respond to your email fast enough, or that you felt the need to come here and explain everything to us to make you feel better about yourself.

You came across as a douchebag telling the guy what to do over the internet and then using that “behind a keyboard” shit.
After he sent he his 1st e-mail you should have just stopped pursuing.

:slight_smile:

[quote]dre wrote:

/anyone???[/quote]

“And Leon is gettin laaaarger.”

I have to agree with the other people on here. And quit rationalizing your futile argument with him. Appologize to the man, you might gain some respect back from him and he might sell you the truck if you’re sincere. What you’ve done reminds me of when some one trash talks me at my bar. Why the hell anyone would try to piss off the doorman without good reason is beyond me.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
dre wrote:

/anyone???

“And Leon is gettin laaaarger.”[/quote]

LOL, YES!

[quote]Xylene wrote:
You came across as a douchebag telling the guy what to do over the internet and then using that “behind a keyboard” shit.
After he sent he his 1st e-mail you should have just stopped pursuing.

:)[/quote]

Yes well I thought it was lame calling me an asswipe simply because I sent him a 2nd inquiry, and I doubt he would call me an asswipe to my face.

Anyway I would think that most people would have took 2 emails about an item they’re selling as ‘hey this guy seems really interested, who cares if he’s not tactful, maybe he’ll buy my stuff.’ That’s how I would take it.

[quote]Arc_1mpuls3 wrote:
I have to agree with the other people on here. And quit rationalizing your futile argument with him. Appologize to the man, you might gain some respect back from him and he might sell you the truck if you’re sincere. What you’ve done reminds me of when some one trash talks me at my bar. Why the hell anyone would try to piss off the doorman without good reason is beyond me.[/quote]

How was I trash talking him though? He is the one who called me asswipe and jerkoff, I didn’t call him anything.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
I’m not sure what’s worse, the fact that you got your panties in a bunch because this guy didn’t respond to your email fast enough, or that you felt the need to come here and explain everything to us to make you feel better about yourself.
[/quote]

I didn’t post to make myself feel better, trust me I don’t need validation from strangers. I posted it because I thought it was a bit funny and I was wondering what others thought about it, and if people think I was the jerk well then maybe the next time I respond to an ad I will consider what was said here.

[quote]dre wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
dre wrote:

/anyone???

“And Leon is gettin laaaarger.”

LOL, YES![/quote]

“It’s a twister! It’s a twister! Auntie Em! Auntie Em!”