What Do You Hate in Combat Sports?

This is a sort of “post yours” thread, so post away with the little things that piss you off in your chosen sport(s)/discipline, wether it’s certain people, something about the sport itself etc etc

I’ll get the ball rolling:

I hate it how from monday to wednesday our boxing gym is overpopulated by “just doing it for a bit of fitness” types. They skimp out on anything that takes effort, take up room, and take away valuable teaching and experience I could be getting from my coach.

I hate it when people who have never boxed a round in their lives, tell me what I fucking “should have been doing” after a fight.

I hate the amateur boxing point system.

I hate it when guys are sparring and a crowd is watching, and when one guy covers up and the other guy fires a right that lands on the arms of the guy covering, the crowd goes “ooo” like as if it actually did anything.

I hate counter-punchers. Hypocritically, I am a counter-puncher.

I hate not being able to clinch and strike in boxing, it would be oh so useful.

I love/hate having young hot women in the class. Love it because they are hot, and wear ridiculously tight clothing (leg raises are now my favorite exercise in boxing for a reason, but hate it because my coach is a horny old dog and as such we lose time he could’ve been fixing us up or showing something new to us.

I hate people in the crowd during a fight yelling at me what to do. It’s fucking hard enough to hear my corner telling me what do as it is, I don’t need 200 drunken assholes giving their spittle ridden advice through the medium of a crowd.

I hate when I’m at a boxing match and the fighters refuse to listen to the advice I’m shouting to them from my seat…

[quote]dOcean13 wrote:
I hate when I’m at a boxing match and the fighters refuse to listen to the advice I’m shouting to them from my seat…[/quote]

Lol.

I hate when people that don’t know anything about boxing talk about boxing. There’s no sport that so simple, yet so complicated, that everyone thinks that they know everything about.

I hate Ed Hardy, Affliction, Tapout, and all the other crap that every dumb guinzo who swears he’s going into MMA wears.

I don’t get outta the house much ever. I like the UFC and stuff it’s entertainment…but I gotta say the guys rockin the tapout t-shirs and stuff at the bar drunk all of them hold the same goddamn image.

So I hate that about combat sports for what it’s done.

I hate the young guys who are all MMA this MMA that.

I hate people who say they train MMA, but never stepped a foot in an actual MMA gym lol.

Seems like all this always comes back to MMA, I’ve yet to see all these guys saying/doing these things coming from the Boxing standpoint.

People’s lack of hygiene.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I hate Ed Hardy, Affliction, Tapout, and all the other crap that every dumb guinzo who swears he’s going into MMA wears.[/quote]

Really? Ed Hardy is somehow connected to MMA in the USA? Here, most guys wearing Ed Hardy don’t even know what MMA is… here, Ed Hardy is a proven sign of douchebaggery…

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
People’s lack of hygiene.[/quote]

This. I hate when people don’t wash their gi’s. I hate when the fat dude’s sweat smells like salami and ass, resulting in me smelling like salami and ass. I hate seeing peoples nasty foot fungus and knowing I’m walking on the same mat barefoot. I really hate when those same people put me in a triangle and their feet are inches from my face.

I hate all the pissing and moaning on these forums from fighters who cant stand the casual fan talking about the sport and supporting it by buying its sponsors products. thats how a fan base grows and a backyard grappling club can become a major sport.

i hate the guys who are content to belly down and turtle into a ball as if somehow being difficult to submit by providing only defense is a win.

and the smelly/disgusting fuckers that populate gyms…saw this the other day, pretty hilarious, I swear to god something like this happens at least once a month at at least one of the gyms i train at:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/5751467/

clothes, attitudes, whatever, have your gripe.

The worst for me, was people booing fights. Or being disrespectful towards fighters. That is the cardinal sin. I boxed in country club after country club and man the audience was usually a bunch of fucks. I had people doing it for fitness in my gym, whatever, to each their own. You are a fighter, it comes down to you, not your trainer. World doesnt revolve around you till you are a fucking prospect and not some amature.

Yes, there is a lot of douchebaggery with mma, I see it when I go to watch fights live or ppv. Whatever. Let tards be tards. It still doesnt disrespect YOU.

But… i get annoyed with people that TRAIN , sometimes for years, and still think they are some shit…and they havent fought. Put your money where your mouth is.

I like Heavy throwers take on this.

easy stuff

I have bad grooming- nails, feet , personal gear and clothing.
Stank Gi’s.
stubble
cold rooms to roll in
Gi’s that have patches.
Gi’s that are not white.
mohawks
beginners who claw/kick my eyes, face,etc.
matt burn
people who ‘say go easy on me’ then go apeshit

‘fighters’ who talk only in parables

more personal shit

the cage that got plopped down in an otherwise decent Juijutsu place.

huge ass callouses on my toe/plantar
the two toe nails that never grew back right.

the pain that changes in temperature, humidity or air pressure,
that I feel in my neck, shoulder and elbows.

my chiropractor’s look and the gleam in his eye, when I show up.

that the cauliflower parts of my right ear freeze and ring in the cold

that despite years of being a great athlete I cant throw catch etc any ball :slight_smile:

the endless debates or rhetorical debates with people about the merits of
one branch of MA vs another BO-ring

I bet I can think of more.

This goes for most sports, but…

People who think being an accomplished amateur athlete is anywhere close to being a professional. I’ve rolled and sparred a lot in gyms, but that’s worlds away from going face to face with a professional fighter in a cage with potentially millions of dollars on the line and 20,000 drunk fans yelling at you. The NFL saying was something like: “Amateurs do it until they get it right. Professionals do it until they don’t get it wrong.” I’m assuming that the pressure is added for fight sports since the odds or injury are so high.

I mean, I think I’m a pretty good athlete. Doesn’t mean I should step in the ring with a 5 time World’s Strongest Man winner.

[quote]XiaoNio wrote:
I mean, I think I’m a pretty good athlete. Doesn’t mean I should step in the ring with a 5 time World’s Strongest Man winner.[/quote]

cough cough
What?

People who discredit certain styles with no idea on what the fuck they are talking about(but you can’t punch in the face in karate, wrestling is gay, etc).
Most stuff other people mentioned.

I love/hate that the more I spar the more I realise how bad I am and the more I need to progress to even consider myself at an intermediate boxing level.

I also dislike the former Muai-Thai guy I sparred with who kneed me in the chest when I side-stepped his jab last night. I am bruised dammit. Bruised.

Ringworm. I hate that stuff with a passion.

If you have it, stay home. None of the rest of us want it.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
an otherwise decent Juijutsu place.

huge ass callouses on my toe/plantar
the two toe nails that never grew back right.

the pain that changes in temperature, humidity or air pressure,
that I feel in my neck, shoulder and elbows.

my chiropractor’s look and the gleam in his eye, when I show up.

that the cauliflower parts of my right ear freeze and ring in the cold
[/quote]

Oh, injuries!? We can list injuries? Shit man, I hate that my doctor is going to get a shitload of money to tear me open and sew my shoulder back together.

I’m REALLY going to hate being laid up for two weeks after it haha.

You need someone to open the peanut butter jar for you too Nancy?

Some of us were just born weak, you know :wink:

[quote]sands wrote:

I also dislike the former Muai-Thai guy I sparred with who kneed me in the chest when I side-stepped his jab last night. I am bruised dammit. Bruised.[/quote]

LOL

i agree about the booing thing…i was watching several freinds find one night at the local show. anywhere, there was a guy that was clearly outclassed, and getting picked apart. the only thing he had was a chin, and just hadn’t got knocked out. he was basically running from the other dude in the cage…

people started booing, but i find that kinda disrespectful. shit, he didn’t really know his abililty until he got in there, and apparently got scared. his corner should have thrown in the towel to save him some face, but i think booing is only appropropritate when poor sportsmanship is involved…

also, i get annoyed with my co-workers who talked smack about the local fighters, and then backpedal when i ask them to come in and train. also D-bags…