What Do You Guys Think of my Beginner Routine?

Eventually I’m going to switch to front squats over back squats for good. I don’t think it will effect my leg strength or size at all.

2 Likes

cool. and fair enough. you don’t share his goal. so why are you giving him advice if you wont cater it towards his clearly stated goal? That seems insane.

I’m a competitive strongman, and I like to encourage people to give it a try, but if someone asked me how to achieve the goal the OP stated here, I would never say ‘log press, yoke runs, stone lifts and deadlifts.’ Even though those are primary, essential movements in my own programming. If someone JUST wants to look good, I would not consider putting them through the shit we go through in strength training. And if someone’s not particularly interested in squatting, and they don’t care about athletic performance, I won’t program squats for them. Ignoring a client’s goals would make me a shitty coach/trainer.

If someone just wanted to look good and be “fit” what type of lifts do you think they should go with?

I think if I had a client that only had this goal I’d probably have them just do DB work, BW work, Trapbar DL, and condition. I don’t think the BB is even necessary at that point. The BW work will do them wonders.

Also, has anyone ever had the opportunity to drive a Ferrari? Turns out it’s not that great unless you’re absolutely hammering on the thing. Herky jerky throttle, clunky transmission, can’t see shit. For 99% of the time, a Civic drive-train is the superior driving experience.

I’m sure there’s a way to bring this back to human bodies, but my brain is mush this afternoon.

2 Likes

I think you already did it.

3 Likes

I’d probably dig at them a little bit more to really clearly define their idea of fit for me. And how much they value looks vs performance.

I’d incorporate a fair bit of conditioning/GPP work along with some basic barbell/dumbbell work. Depending on bodyweight, bodyweight work would be good too. Another factor here would be starting point. Big difference between getting a 300 lbs 45 year old to that sort of goal, and a 120 lbs 19 year old.

1 Like

What if they’re, like, 36-ish, and the same physique as you, only a little bulkier?

2 Likes

a person who fits that description would never need advice from anyone. Presumably, he already knows everything.

1 Like