What Do You Guys Think of my Beginner Routine?

Upper
Bench press
machine chest flies
LAT pull down
Seated rows
Overhead press
Dumbbell shrugs
Triceps pull down
Dumbbell bicep curls

Lower
Trap Deadlift
Dumbbell walking lunges
Legs extension
seated leg curls
Machine Calf raises

[ Keep in mind , i’m only just a beginner ] and my main goal is to fit into better clothes

I think most will agree with me on this: choose a program and follow it. Don’t design your own. What you’ve done is list several exercises, not outline a program.

Do this instead:

In general, a program built around barbell lifts and bodyweight exercises will serve most people quite well. Especially if you’re a beginner and your goal is to get fit, leaner, and stronger.

Alright , yeah i’ll check it out , Thanks i will definitely keep that in mind

Just run through proven programs off this site, anything by Wendler as above, Dan John or Waterbury will fit the bill

1 Like

That’s not a “routine”, it’s two groups of exercises. It’s missing things like sets, reps, and days/frequency.

Like the guys said, any coach-designed program will be a much better place to start for the first few months or longer.

That’s an “okay” goal, but be more specific. Does that mean adding 15 pounds of muscle? Losing 30 pound of fat? Building 17-inch arms and a 30-inch waist?

What are your current stats (height, weight, general bodyfat description) and age?

For starters, you need Deadlifts and Squats regardless of your goal, other than that we would need the info that Chris mentioned regarding sets, res, and frequency.

This is clearly not true.

7 Likes

I was about to hit reply when I saw your name pop up, figured correctly that this would be the response haha.

Damnit. I thought I’d preserved an air of mysterious unpredictability.

1 Like

So unless there is a medical reason not to why on earth would that statement not be the case

Because s/he can reach their stated goal of “fit into better clothes” without ever doing a single deadlift or squat.

1 Like

Have you considered looking at different brands? Then you don’t have to do that random hodgepodge of exercises.

Because “need” means a certain thing in the english language, and it doesn’t apply.

Many MANY humans have gotten big and strong without squats and deadlifts.

2 Likes

I can think of examples of posters just on this site who have phenomenal physiques without either of those two exercises. And the It’s stated goals are far more modest than a phenomenal physique

I’ll admit that people can be big without squats or deadlifts (despite the fact that they can get there much quicker due to the amount of overload such complex exercises provide) but I’ll argue that unless someone squats and deadlifts that they are not strong, since that word means a thing in the English language too. And I personally don’t care about physique one bit, especially if it’s all show like putting a Honda Civic engine in a Ferrari. To be honest, the only reasons why someone shouldn’t do these movements unless there is a medical reason (once again) is that the movements require work and are hard and most people shun away from that and try to take the easy road.

WeSeeWhatYouDidThere

Yes and no. “Strong” is even more vague than “need”. Competitive powerlifters can be gauged as “strong or not strong” based on the squat and deadlift. With anyone else, you’re comparing them with a measuring stick you’ve personally decided on. I can say if someone doesn’t power clean, they’re not strong. It’s an equally arbitrary line in the sand.

For example, was Dorian Yates not strong barbell rowing 405 for reps, stiff-legging 375 for reps, and hack squatting 400+ for reps, because he didn’t “squat and deadlift”?

To be fair, I’m assuming your initial statement referred to back squats and conventional deadlifts. If I’m wrong on that, the situation changes, obviously. I would agree that some squat variation and deadlift variation should be part of the plan, especially for beginners.

1 Like

Look, it’s some weak guy doing a one-armed muscle up.

Squats and deads are great, and he should try to include a variation of both. But he can still get strong without them.

To clarify, you do not feel Arthur Saxon was strong? Or Eugene Sandow Or Louis Cyr? Or pretty much every strong human that predated the flat footed squat as a training movement (which, in turn, necessitated the advent of squatting racks, and even then, the movement was traditionally performed on the toes)? What about various weightlifters that forego the deadlift to instead focus on pulls? Manhood stonelifters?

You can get very strong never once squatting or deadlifting.

1 Like

That’s fine, but the OP specifically asked about fitting better in clothes, and nothing about getting strong.

I also disagree with your definition of strong, and your viewpoint on what’s necessary to get there, but that’s all a moot point given that’s not the question the OP asked.

Let’s all be nice to Mark Rippetoe, everyone.

2 Likes