What Do You Feed Your Kids?

[quote]ryan b. wrote:
massif, i think you should chill out. ha!

everything that everyone has commented on so far is REALLY GREAT STUFF. we are talking about feeding children healthy food. thats not being anal or over reactive or anything of the sort. is that what you were implying?

whatever the case its great info all around.

i will strongly agree with your point on kids being active. no one has mentioned that important aspect of healthy kids. but then again,thats not what the original post was about. still, as massif pointed out, good exercise is at least as important as good eating. maybe another topic?

cheers,
ryan b.[/quote]

I am the most chilled motherfucker on planet Earth.

When people start freaking out about giving their kids candy at Halloween, people need to chill. When they are freaking out about 2 grams of trans fats per serve, people need to chill.

Feed them good, wholesome food, but please, stop freaking out over some candy at Halloween. Teach them good habits, be good parents, but please remember that they are kids, and not Mr Olympia. A few candies here and there aren’t going to kill them.

I agree that most of the information on here is rock solid. Just don’t get all crazy with it. And please, if this post doesn’t apply to you, just ignore it.

I don’t have kids,but I’ll tell you what I would and wouldn’t feed them.
#1: No processed junk food. it’s full of suger and fat,oh,and ingredients that you can’t pronounce and ingredients that actually make you fat

.#2: The only milk I’d give them would be organic milk. Growth hormones are not good for kids. I wouldn’t want my 11 yr old daughter walking around with full breasts at her age,let alone my son growing hair on his face at age 10 and getting fat.Just look at the kids of today.

#3:Good treats:Ok,I know!Kids need their candy and what not.I feed them organic chocolate bars,or some organic lowfat icecream.They have ingredients you and your body can regonize.

#4: No splenda. Just no splenda.It can cause M.S.,and cancer. Go to www.thetruthaboutsplenda.com .
#5: Limit soda.
#6: more fruti and vegetables.Their bodies are growing!!
#7: Lean protein: yes,kids need protein ,believe it or not.They’re growing.Remember when you where a kid and wanted to grow up big and strong?

#8: some kinda exercise.
#9: Learn to have fun! Remember,you’re a kid.You should learn to have fun and learn to enjoy life(so should adults.Believe it or not,you can actually learn something froma kid).
#10: More whole foods and homemade meals and less hotpockets.

Trans fat? Ok,I can stand my kids having a shit-load of fat and suger,something thats natural,for halloween.I do it myself. But trans fata is really bad for you and anyone should keep away from it unless they wanna die at age 40.I can’t believe people these days don’t even care about what trans fat is.

You could prolly start them on fish oil asap. By the time there teens they could be takin one or two ZMA caps a day as well.

No reason they couldnt have Grow! bars as a snack either

FEED the kids? Oops…

We feed our kids the same balanced meals we eat. They bring their lunch to school and can’t understand why the other kids won’t eat the “healthy” cafateria food. Bottom line is that our kids are brainwashed, and don’t know any better. We do let them splurge with candy etc. Think about the calories they burn on the playground!

[quote]Massif wrote:

I am the most chilled motherfucker on planet Earth.

When people start freaking out about giving their kids candy at Halloween, people need to chill. When they are freaking out about 2 grams of trans fats per serve, people need to chill.

[/quote]

Massif, I don’t recall seeing you post if you have kids?

I posted about transfats/serving…
I was being somewhat facetious in my post, as I tend to do. So, when I appear to be freaking out, I am trying to make a point, but I probably add a little drama to the post. Perhaps you remember the fat substitute Olean, which causes explosive and unpredictable gas with frequent discharge of foods you have no recollection of having eaten
?

I believe Olean was being promoted as like the saviour of fat people, and was then promptly yanked off the market, when it turned out to be pretty godamned unsafe shit? Seems to me, that transfats may very well fit that bill too. I know I don’t like to eat shit with ANY transfats in it, ( although, of course I do eat some ) so, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to try to keep my kid from eating them either.

As for Halloween candy, I actually got a problem with that too. Since the kid travels around the neighbourhood collecting the shit, he figures he’s got a right to eat it ALL. Now, of course we try to limit the amount per day he eats. Make that WE DO limit the amount per day he eats. But, for a boy who eats say typically the rest of the year, one candy per week, to be eating 3 candies or more per day for two weeks straight, that does piss me off.

And I will tell ya why. Because MY BOY is a fucken angel. Kid has never really caused me a moment’s grief in 7 fucken years. This kid has NEVER, EVER thrown a fit in a supermarket, ( and I have taken him shopping with me since he was a baby ) begging for toys, candy or other shit he doesn’t need. And if you grocery shop, you have probably seen some parent fighting with their kid, just about every time you are there, with the kid throwing a fucken tantum trying to get mom / dad to buy them shit…

And this is just one example of what an awesome kid he is. I could easily start a new thread just to brag about him, but that’s not the point. The point is, somehow, we got a keeper. And I want it to stay that way. So, IMHO, feeding him right is one piece of the puzzle, to raising a good kid. Obviously, it’s just one piece of the whole picture. But that was the focus of this thread.

Anyone wants to start a thread regarding child raising, I’d be ALL OVER IT. Cause frankly, from what I have seen of other people’s kids, I don’t really like 'em. And I can assure you, with my temperment, if my kid was like most other people’s kids, I’d have killed somebody by now.

|/ 3Toes

There is a great organic market and cafe 20-minutes from where I live that I take my kids to 3 days a week. I’ll let them eat anything they want from there; muffins and smoothies are usually their top choices. My 5 year old always gets broccoli, and my 2 year old always gets carrots. They drink raw organic grass-fed milk, low sugar cereals, lots of fruit, grass-fed beef, chicken, whole-wheat shells and cheese, etc.

They will usually eat any bread I get, but you should try millet/flax bread. It is pretty close to white bread. As a treat I usually give them dark chocolate, dark chocolate covered almonds, animal crackers made with oatmeal, etc. They love eggs and whole-grain pancakes for breakfast. Unfortunately, when their Mom has them, they probably eat nothing but junk.

They also get strawberry flavored fish oil capsules that are chewable. They think they are candy, so they are always begging for them. I believe the company that makes them is Nordic Naturals.

Im sure if all parents were like you sleuth, this world wouldnt be so bad

My 6 year old daughter (1st grade)traded her MnM’s for an Orange last week!

Typical Diet:

BFST: Toaster Scrambles

LUNCH: Usually is PBnJ/HamnCheese, Chips, Carrots/apple/orange and a jello or pudding…sometimes a piece of candy too.

Dinner: Balanced chicken/steak/fish, broccoli/lima and potatoes/pasta.

Belive it or not, my 3yo actually likes Carlson’s Cod Liver Oil, lemon flavored. She takes a drink right out of the bottle every night when I do. :slight_smile:

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:

I never thought of that, but now that you bring up fats, I realize that I find if very difficult to get my daughter enough (if any) good fats.

We don’t feed her fish very often at all, and I KNOW she won’t swallow a drop of flax oil.[/quote]

They wont miss waht they haven’t experienced. But if u get em consistently on the chocolate, tv e.t.c then things could get tricky.

[quote]FamilyMan wrote:

Bottom line is that our kids are brainwashed, and don’t know any better.

[/quote]

That’s the parents’ job. To brainwash their kids. Everything we do is brainwashing, so it’s up to us to stuff the right info into their greedy little minds. As a side note… when my boy was maybe around 3, I tried to babysit him with TV one day. I told him he could watch TV until I turned it off. After a half hour, he turned it off and came and got me. He told me MOM says 1/2 hour of TV is ALL he gets. I told him, “it’s OK, you can watch more today.” He said “no.” LOL. brainwashed…

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

My 6 year old daughter (1st grade)traded her MnM’s for an Orange last week!

[/quote]

That’s crazy, man. LOL

[quote]Velvet Revolver wrote:

Im sure if all parents were like you sleuth, this world wouldnt be so bad

[/quote]

How true. However, organizing all the sloths in the world… it just can’t be done. :slight_smile:

|/ 3Toes

I wish my parents hadn’t been so ignorant to nutrition as I grew up… We would each eat fast food at least 15 times weekly… My lunches were always packed with “gushers” or other sugar snacks and I would splurge on large bowls of fruit loops for breakfast. They didn’t tell me anything about nutrition so how was I supposed to know there was a problem? The obvious happened; I got fat. I grew up and went through school a fatty until recently in which I began lifting and eating healthy.

I remember my parents only attempt to keep my obesity under control was halting the flow of non-diet soda in our house. Because of this I would drink regular soda whenever possible just to spite them due to my ignorance on the high sugar contents.

To this day, both my parents are well overweight and still eat crap almost exclusivly…

I have a 9-year old son and a 7-year old daughter.

They can eat pizza, pasta, french-fries and some candy (but the latter has to be paid for by eating something at least half-decent first).

Perhaps more usefully, this is what they rarely consume, because we don’t buy them:

High fructose corn syrup products (yeah, the list is long, but it can be done), and products loaded with trans-fats (fries are the exception, but they too are restricted somewhat).

Luckily, they eat home-made pancakes for breakfast most days, made with stone-ground whole-wheat flour, organic eggs/milk, Olive oil and topped with real Canadian Maple syrup. It’s the one good meal of the day, the rest is an uphill battle.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

WiZlon