What Do You Feed Your Dog

I’m all for the raw meat diet.

Dead cats. She loves the crunchy leg bones, and it’s good for her teeth.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Dead cats. She loves the crunchy leg bones, and it’s good for her teeth. [/quote]

copy cat.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
rainjack wrote:

copy cat. [/quote]

Didn’t see your post. I hate when that happens. And here I thought I was being all witty and shit.

She still likes cats, though - and chickens that wander into our yard.

My little red heeler is quite the carnivore.

most commercial dog foods are absolute crap… corn meal and animal by-products… like crappy breakfast cereals for kids

[quote]rainjack wrote:
texasguy wrote:
rainjack wrote:

copy cat.

Didn’t see your post. I hate when that happens. And here I thought I was being all witty and shit.

She still likes cats, though - and chickens that wander into our yard.

My little red heeler is quite the carnivore. [/quote]

it’s cool. the copy CAT was just keeping with the wit.

and red heelers are cool dogs

Dead hookers and the homeless.

Serioulsy though, I feed my dog run of the mill dog food (Big red high energy with some wet dog food).The only one who gets special food is the pug becasue he is fat and needs diet dog food (science diet).

I never understand giving your dogs crazy expensive foods and supplements.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
most commercial dog foods are absolute crap… corn meal and animal by-products… like crappy breakfast cereals for kids[/quote]

It is probably why so many pets are overweight.

[quote]TC wrote:
j62usa wrote:
I recently read that a article where TC wrote that he feeds his dog high quality food, and I thought I did too until i noticed that the brand of food i was buying (nutro) had their “wetfood” on the list of dog food companies using the shitty chinese ingredients. So what do you health nuts feed your four legged friends to keep em healthy?

Wow, where do I start.

My dogs eat the following foods every day:

Basic mix (home made):
–Either ahi, chicken, turkey, beef, lamb or salmon(rotated daily)
–barley or brown rice (rotated)
–spinach, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, broccoli, caulfiloer, brussels sprouts, garlic, apples, pumpkin, tomatoes
–ground walnuts, almonds, or cashews

Last feeding: Low-Carb Metabolic Drive, organic peanut butter, yogurt, flax meal wth glucosamine and chondritin, and REZ-V

Biscuits (home made):
Ground turkey, blueberries, carrots, peas, whole wheat flour, oatmeal, flax seed, eggs.

Snacks-Dehydrated chicken breasts (home made)

Supplments: Flax/borage oil, Flameout

I think that’s most of it.[/quote]

Damn TC, that’s fukin’ awesome. I’ve been reading about switching my dogs to the raw diet and must say, I like the cut of that jib.

Especially since one of my dogs seems to have an allergy that we can’t quite pinpoint. I thought it might be chicken but that doesn’t seem to be it.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Dog food normally and after walks Surge.

Kidding, I try and feed them real food, meat and vegetables forgot that canned packeted stuff!!

SHadOW

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
TC: I don’t see any cheese on that list. Any reason why you don’t feed your dog cheese? [/quote]

No, no particular reason.

Do you feel they need it because of the calcium?

I’ve got a 9 month old Amstaff and I feed him a raw diet - whole chickens, turkey drumsticks, liver, tripe, beef, lamb and eggs + table scraps. He’s 55lb lean already. Should get to 70-75lb.

Some pet foods list Omega-3’s. Check for fish oils in the ingredients list, as that will assuredly include DHA and EPA.

Also, some premium foods have chelated minerals. They usually end in the suffix -ate, e.g. magnesium aspartate or chromium picolinate. Look for a pack of these in the ingredients list.

[quote]TC wrote:

Wow, where do I start.

Basic mix (home made):
–spinach, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, broccoli, caulfiloer, brussels sprouts, garlic, apples, pumpkin, tomatoes

Last feeding: Low-Carb Metabolic Drive, organic peanut butter, yogurt, flax meal wth glucosamine and chondritin, and REZ-V

Biscuits (home made):
Ground turkey, blueberries, carrots, peas, whole wheat flour, oatmeal, flax seed, eggs.

I think that’s most of it.[/quote]

It would be interesting to see your daily, or weekly food preparation routine.

That really leaves very little excuse for those who say they don’t have time to prepare meals for themselves!

[quote]wsk wrote:
I’ve got a 9 month old Amstaff and I feed him a raw diet - whole chickens, turkey drumsticks, liver, tripe, beef, lamb and eggs + table scraps. He’s 55lb lean already. Should get to 70-75lb. [/quote]

yeah - but what does he bench?

Dry food was also affected.

I have an Akita Inu and fed him nutro choice lamb&rice almost all his life but some years ago he started to have problems with is coat, started to lose hair, inflamations on the skin, licking and biting the affect which made it even worse, is white akita , some hair started to turn yellow. He even made a biopsy but it was inconclusive.

The veterinary put him on royal canin hipolaergenic formula and said akitas have normally some allergies to foods or skin problems of itsown. This last formula he has been taking for the last 2 months is made with soy hydrolisate protein and has corn and doesnt have any calcium which makes me wurried.

I also bought proplan salmon since the ingredient list and nutrition table looks better to me but he doesn’t like it, maybe it’s because it has a very strong fishy smell.

I’m thinking on alternatives like feeding him raw or homemade with inspiration on dog’s ancient diet (I’m eating paleo diet myself for some time with a lot of cheat meals:)

I started to read online for answers and found many relevant information I want to share with you.

Funny that I found a story like mine but with labradors: Nutro and why I don't feed it anymore

I also found a site on feeding akitas (mine is japanese akita but it can be useful, I had already in the past heard that japanese feed akitas with fish and sea “vegetables” and maybe rice, they say akitas even fish like bears do and some wolves)

Check out these links:

Recall recent news
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260784,00.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266689,00.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260862,00.html

One alternative

Beware of foods that can kill your dog

Online book on homemade dog food

CAUTION:
Please read these critically, I dont endorse anything , I havent even tried any of this alternatives.

“What do you feed your dog?”

“Ugh, dog food. Why?”

“Hes just miserable, I feel bad for him.”

Anybody???

[quote]TC wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
TC: I don’t see any cheese on that list. Any reason why you don’t feed your dog cheese?

No, no particular reason.

Do you feel they need it because of the calcium?

[/quote]

Yes, and for the additional protein. (I feed him low-fat string cheese, usually.)

I like the diet you feed your dog. Lately I’ve been going half dog food, half human food.

What keeps me using dog food is that my dog self-regulates what he eats. I leave food in the bowl all day: he eats exactly what he needs to maintain his weight. He has a little compass or something inside, and he has no desire to overeat his dog food. Once you put human food into his bowl, though, he’ll eat and eat and eat.

So by switching to human food, I’m concerned I might not know exactly how much to feed him. His activity level varies greatly (hikes, sprints, dog park, plain old long walk, lots of “tug-tug,” etc). So it’s nice knowing that he’ll eat exactly what his body needs.

How did you find out how much to feed your dog? Were you very precise, measuring out each ingredient and then seeing how your dog responded?

[quote]dre wrote:
TC wrote:
j62usa wrote:
I recently read that a article where TC wrote that he feeds his dog high quality food, and I thought I did too until i noticed that the brand of food i was buying (nutro) had their “wetfood” on the list of dog food companies using the shitty chinese ingredients. So what do you health nuts feed your four legged friends to keep em healthy?

Wow, where do I start.

Basic mix (home made):

Biscuits (home made):

I think that’s most of it.

Damn TC, that’s fukin’ awesome. I’ve been reading about switching my dogs to the raw diet and must say, I like the cut of that jib.

Especially since one of my dogs seems to have an allergy that we can’t quite pinpoint. I thought it might be chicken but that doesn’t seem to be it.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.[/quote]

Yeh dre, TC has some biscuits in there; you better be brushin your dog’s teeth everyday if they’re not getting biscuits. I have 2 kids and no time to pamper my choc labs with a diet better than mine so the best mass produced brand I’ve found is Wellness Super5Mix;

after a couple of years now my youngest no longer has seizures which is nice because seizure medicine shortens their life span. They know when they smell the steaks on the grill every other day that they’re gettin some of that too…they freakin line up for it.

[quote]Easy E wrote:
“What do you feed your dog?”

“Ugh, dog food. Why?”

“Hes just miserable, I feel bad for him.”

Anybody???[/quote]

“Well, why don’t you cry about it fatty… saddlebags!”

Love that movie.

“In order to train ze dolphin, we must get inside ze dolphins head und think like ze dolphin”