What Do You Do for Work?

Yes, it is too open ended. All I could give you with that scope is: go try to find a rich uncle.

1 Like

100% is pretty typical with industrial equipment

I don’t see a huge path between a non-profit and a public board, except you learn to use Roberts Rules of Order and the like, which some older companies really follow if they have a big board. The path there is being either a legal, accounting, or industry expert (or being the nephew of the hedge fund that owns 10% of the company).

I am not a huge fan of working for non-profits. First, you would have a conflict of interest and couldn’t serve on the board. Second, with the exception of really crappy and crooked non-profits (Red Cross, looking at you), you don’t make very much money there. That’s just not why people work there.

1 Like

Ok. If you have questions, shoot away

dude where you been at?

Just been busy busy. Work, building a house, planning a wedding, training so I can keep up with my fiancee hiking small (3000’ish) mountains. Bit of travel. My training went all cardio too.

How’ve you been?

3 Likes

life happens, eh? All these things conspiring against you and your goals to be jacked. My advice: quit your job, lose the girl and fuck the house. Live under a bridge young, free, single and jacked.

I’m cool, mate. Same old. Nice to see you checking in, been meaning to start a “where’s LoRez” thread for a while now so I’m glad to hear things are going good for you.

1 Like

Time spent on a non-profit board doesn’t necessarily translate to a for-profit board.

A place on the board of a non-profit is essentially a vanity position. It says you’ve donated a chunk of money to this cause and you’re willing to use your connections to compel your network to donate as well.

To sit on the Board of a for-profit, you’re either representing a large equity stake or your there in an advisory fashion which means there might only be a handful of other people in the world who have the skills/knowledge/experience you do.

1 Like

The industries JB is talking about can have 400% margins.

Nonprofits boards are shady areas, they are usually revolving doors into executive management in the nonprofit.

1 Like

Thanks for this write up.

IT Duck-tape.

I have done everything from being a system architect for a world wide Process Planning system to writing device drivers for Tandem Fault Tolerant systems at Bell Labs.

Currently fixing all the weird cases that come into the database/virtualization company I work for.

4 Likes

I was only moments away from ironing my hands last week!

1 Like

I thought about this a little more. If you would be shipped back to work in the black hole of administration, this is a dead end, albeit probably a nice steady income and work. That’s a fine place to be.

If your goal is to have a low tens of millions in the bank, this would also be OK under one circumstance: if you hung out with the doctors and brilliant people there. The lab rats are the talent there, and plenty will eventually peal off to go start some biotech that sells itself to Bayer or Pfizer.

Such start ups need a business person to manage the money and do all the reporting and projections and CFO things that they have to do to keep the venture capital money people sated. You could do this.

So, if you are going back to Johns Hopkins and will be friends with the talent, this could be a good thing.

1 Like

Working with THIS guy as Massage and Stretch therapist / pacer :

Meb Keflezighi: What it takes for Success. 12 Mile Tempo 6 weeks out from 2012 ING NYC Marathon - YouTube (yeah, thats what 4:45 mile pace looks like)

As well as personal trainer / strength and conditioning coach .

2 Likes

I’m mostly a stay-at-home mom. For me, the years raising kids has been extended indefinitely. Not a bad thing, since I felt working with special needs kids was a calling for me (something I was meant to do) since the time is was in high school and taught a little disabled girl to swim. I’m a school psychologist. I’ve worked flexible and part-time gigs since my kids were born. I especially love those awkward junior high years.

When I’m not being a mom, or working with kids, I’m busy being a trophy wife for someone who loves cankles. If you have the right calf genetics, I highly recommend it. My life is a lot like that show The Real Housewives, except I’m driving an old Toyota, am not good at tennis, nobody’s going to prison for tax evasion or having an affair with their tennis coach, and all the stuff the nanny and housekeeper would be doing is done by ME, and I mostly really enjoy all that stuff.

5 Likes

If most of your day is spent moving paperwork…
Attending meetings and new mandatory trainings…
A lot of concern with compliance with new and sometimes contradictory regulations…
Talk about reducing liability, and training and consultation with the lawyer about how to make sure you’re properly covering your rear in the event of lawsuits…

And your job used to be done well by one person, but now takes four people…

This is called progress!! Isn’t it wonderful? This is how jobs are created, and how your boss justifies hiring more people and making a bigger salary. It’s why everyone is so BUSY all the time, but nobody seems to be actually doing anything.

lmao. You, along with your impeccably straight hair line, are very funny. However I think a lot of people miss your humor.

I appreciate it Jewbacca. I believe (I’d have to check) it’s work directly managing the business aspects of various research projects, but I can’t remember.

Thanks, Beans. Glad that made you laugh. Sense of humor doesn’t always translate well on an internet forum, particularly when you have bit of a a dry sense of humor. Yes, it’s caused me some grief a few times.

I’m amazed at the number of “busy” people whose primary function(s) seem to be attending meetings and creating more meetings. Basically, they’re very good at creating the illusion that they actually contribute to company success / productivity while contributing nothing other than hassling some of the employees who are actually working.

1 Like

Ah, that is what the Board of Directors is for.

We have generally quarterly meetings before earnings call, plus committees on audit or governance. I think our main function is to make the company generate paperwork that meets SEC and auditor approval. If everything is going correctly, we do very little.

Well, except scare the hell out of the rank and file. I personally know (and was the lawyer for) a lot of management of a company on whose board I sit. The entire legal department are people who used to work for me. So I go and talk to people on break or whatever.

One of the junior, junior, engineers is the son of a guy who was a long time bartender at my country club. I’ve known him since he was born. So I went down into the bowels of the company and shook his hand. You would have thought an angel of G-d came and anointed him by the way his boss was suddenly deferential.

Most of the time, however, the people see us walk into the hall, or the break room, and they either scatter like mice, or stare in fear.

I guess it’s good they know their bosses have theoretical bosses.