T Nation

What Do You Do for Work?

Might be a thread somewhere for this but I’m curious what everyone does for work. Im a professional auto detailer. I also do side work doing paint correction/scratch removal. Here’s a page that’s sort of a collection of some of my work.

facebook.com/terrysdetailingma

I’m an ophthalmologist–an MD specializing in the medical and surgical management of diseases of the eye and its adjacent/associated structures. In addition to seeing/treating pts myself, I supervise the resident clinic (a ‘resident’ is an MD who is still in training), and teach eye surgery. I also lecture to ophthalmology residents, non-ophthalmology residents, and medical students.

Great work! Some of those cars were really disgusting. That is a talent and a lot of work!!

You have a very impressive list of jobs… sounds interesting and busy! Can I ask why you wanted to be an Ophthalmologist?

I am a steel worker at one of the biggest agricultural tire manufacturer in world, pays good, union job, but we earn every penny. For around 20 years, before I was corrections officer three years, and before that Navy

Well, I went to med school intending to be a physiatrist–someone who assists in rehabilitating disordered movement patterns. (Long story.) But when I did my mandatory week-long rotation in Ophthalmology as a med student, I fell in love with it. The eye is so small, so intricate, and yet so amenable to examination (with the proper equipment).

And cataract surgery is simply amazing! Someone can be functionally blind–unable to work, unable to care for themselves–and after a 5-10 minute surgery they can see 20/20. (It’s not for nothing that some have called cataract surgery ‘the most successful surgical procedure ever devised.’) But operating on the eye is fraught with peril–it’s like playing the game Operation, except if you touch the sides, the person goes blind. I find that the only thing more nerve-racking than doing eye surgery is teaching it.

WOW… that’s awesome how you stumbled into your career field like that! I bet it happens a lot when the students do rotations. I never thought about how complex and rewarding your job would be. Working in a small space like that is craziness. Teaching I’m sure is stressful and being calm when they mess up would be almost impossible. Thank you for the explanation :grinning:

You have to be calm when the resident screws up, because the pt is usually awake and alert during eye surgery. Anything you say (and the way you say it) will impact the pt’s state of mind (and the last thing you want is a panicky pt!)

Speaking of speaking during eye surgery…When I was a first-year resident, I was assisting the attending while he performed a corneal transplant–he was ‘throwing’ sutures, and I was cutting the tails after he tied them off. At one point, I cut the tails too long, and without thinking said “Oops.” The attending leaned back from the microscope, looked at me like I was an idiot, and said, “Don’t say ‘oops.’” I immediately took his point.

I’m a licensed clinical social worker (LICSW) and work as a therapist at a community health center. My referrals come from the primary care physicians I work with. My case load is very diverse - ages range from five to late eighties, and I have parolees, professors, and everything in between. I see people with severe mental illness as well as people who come in during a period of stress and remain because they like the sounding board I provide. I love my job.

@countrygirl2016, what do you do?

hahaha :laughing: your right, saying oops is probably not a good idea since they are awake and alert!! I couldn’t help but say oops or apologize for something during the procedure a few times (my trainer says I apologize too much). I had no clue they were awake for that! I so far have been lucky to not have issues with mine but I’m sure one day my age will get me. I bet you have a lot of great stories!!

You seem like an amazing person for taking on a job like that!! That would be hard with all of the different cases you see not letting it get to you too much. Your job probably requires a very high level of patience. Thank you for doing something so important!

Thank you! I’m not sure I’m an amazing person, though. On my elementary school report cards teachers consistently wrote that I talked too much. I’ve just found work that plays to my strengths.

Occasionally things get to me, but mostly not. There are hard things, but there’s a lot of laughter, too.

HA (oops), I guess I was so caught up in being fascinated I didn’t post mine! I was in the military but am out and currently working for the Department of Agriculture. In my specific branch our goal is to keep agriculture thriving and give the producers opportunities to succeed and grow in their operation. It’s absolutely not the job I dreamed of but it’s rewarding, great benefits, and I have many opportunities to travel. Thank you for asking me.

I read many of your post and you do have a great sense of humor :joy: so that would be a big help! I also talk a lot and when I’m not people ask me what’s wrong. I love to learn all I can in life so naturally I ask a lot.

It sounds interesting! What would be your dream job?

By the way, OP, I took a look at your Facebook page, and the cars are lovely!

My dream job would be a Veterinarian on small and large animals. I would also make sure people who could not afford my services could still receive care for their animals. I wish I would have went for it but now I am too far in life and my job that it’s a dream!

Ha, people get nervous when I’m quiet, too. But sometimes (rarely!) I just have nothing to say. I’ve learned to say I don’t feel well.

YES!!! I also say I don’t feel well and then they say go to the doctor. I can’t win with silence.

I am a student, studying Aeronautical Engineering which is horribly dreadful (to me, at least) by the way. I can’t wait to read the other responses, so many questions on how y’all folks balance training and work.