T Nation

What Do You Do for Traps?

I want my traps to be more developed, and I’m hitting them twice a week, but the progress is slow, and I have trouble “killing” them.

Could somebody give me a workout routine that’s works?

1. What are you doing now to exercise the traps?

2. What is your diet like?

3. How is workout nutrition?

One cannot give good advice while being blind to the situation, enlighten us.

Heavy shrugs

I hear gaining weight is pretty good for building up the traps - it doesn’t seem like too many skinny guys are sporting decent trap development. Loads of shrugs with heavy weight and some deadlifts would be what I’d do. Make sure you’ve got some overhead pressing in there just to hit them from every angle, but keep the focus on the shrugs. 2 times a week sounds sensible.

Are you deadlifting?

If not, start now.

rack pulls followed by hise shrugs on the standing calf raise machine

deadlift, and continue to deadlift till you cannot anymore, then deadlift some more

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Are you deadlifting?

If not, start now.[/quote]

x2

[quote]w00tage wrote:
Heavy shrugs[/quote]

Agreed.

Not a huge person but I would say do high pulls (like upright rows but with very wide grip but so you can still pull it above nipple level and up to chin) without leg drive. I first start out with strict reps and then when I reach technical failure, give my all to a few moderately cheaped reps that really burn.

I think explosive lifting in general is great for traps. Just look at oly lifters. The ROM in shrugs is pretty pathetic.

Snatch grip deads can be pretty effective too.

All of this is assuming, however, that you can get away with fatiguing all the other muscles involved in those exercises.

Grab a heavy DB and a squat rake with the other arm, so you can lean away from it. They do sets of shrugs one arm at a time. This gives you move ROM and a better stretch.

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
Grab a heavy DB and a squat rake with the other arm, so you can lean away from it. They do sets of shrugs one arm at a time. This gives you move ROM and a better stretch.[/quote]

fuck why did i never think of this !! never been able to do good shrugs because that the dumbbell made friction with my body ! and i do that for lateral raises to get more ROM…

sometimes you can see the forrest for all the trees thx dude !

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
Grab a heavy DB and a squat rake with the other arm, so you can lean away from it. They do sets of shrugs one arm at a time. This gives you move ROM and a better stretch.[/quote]

Thank you!!! The shitty ROM is why I believe I never got a proper trap workout.

[quote]w00tage wrote:
Heavy shrugs[/quote]

+linear progression
+food

And some sort of deadlift variation definitely won’t hurt.

Very heavy rack pulls are key!

[quote]sexy_animal wrote:
I want my traps to be more developed, and I’m hitting them twice a week, but the progress is slow, and I have trouble “killing” them.

Could somebody give me a workout routine that’s works?[/quote]

I don’t have the biggest traps, but I can shrug 405x10; and it shows. Sure, I did some shrug workouts. Maybe about 20. Maybe. Mostly my traps came from deadlifting. Get your deadlift to 500, do barbell shrugs once a week, and see what happens.

Make sure, in general, you’re following a sound program with sane reasonable progression. What that constitutes depends on a lot of factors, but mostly it depends on your experience level: how long you’ve been lifting & total progression you’ve made.

Heavy Rack pulls with some very close grip (hands on the smooth part of the bar) upright rows have worked the best for me
put the bar at your knee chalk up and pull it
I would work up to a heavy triple as in the ABSOLUTE MOST you could pull for a heavy triple
If you don’t train these you may be surprised how fast these numbers go up

Week 1
5X1@3rm (pause at the top for 3 seconds)
Upright rows 3X5

Week 2
3X2@3rm
Upright rows 3X5

Week 3
1XFailure @ 3rm-10%
Upright rows 3X5

Week 4
3X3@3rm
Upright Rows 3X3

Week 5
Hit a new Heavy triple from the knee

Hope thats helpful, good luck building your yoke

I feel high rep shurgs work best for me.

Heavy Shrugs, Deads and Rack Pulls are where you should concentrate your efforts.

I find with Shrugs I need to stick to higher rep ranges to get the greatest effect.

Also, shoulder health permitting, OH Shrugs are great for torching your traps with.
I believe Thibs mentioned them in a Q&A article a while back.

i started seeing good progress in my traps after i started doing heavy clean and presses. if you can get the form down on that lift i think its great for traps and well you whole shoulder too.