T Nation

What Do YOU Do for Cardio?

I know about the different kinds of cardio and what their for and all that. I dont need that…I’m just out of curiousty wondering what YOU guys do for cardio and how often and for how long.

Tell me
a. what kind of cardio (hiit or low/moderate intensity)
b. how long per session (how many times a week and how many times you lift)

I want to know from guys who use it just to maintain leanness. I dont need to know if you trying to lose weight so your doing a million hours a week or if your “bulking” so you do none.

Please dont tell what you would LIKE to do or what you SHOULD be doing, just tell me what you actually do each week please.

Thanks!

Every morning before breakfast(after 5 grams BCAA or 1/2 scoop protein)

45 minutes treadmill low(it doesn’t feel low ha) intensity 3.6ish mph right now

I should explain some thigns though. I am gaining muscle mass but I tend to gain too much fat so currently this much cardio is how much it takes to make me slightly lose/maintain bodyfat.

10 sets of 40 yard sprints with 10 seconds rest between sets.

Bike intervals for 5min or fast treadmil walking 15-20min. About twice per week.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Every morning before breakfast(after 5 grams BCAA or 1/2 scoop protein)

45 minutes treadmill low(it doesn’t feel low ha) intensity 3.6ish mph right now

I should explain some thigns though. I am gaining muscle mass but I tend to gain too much fat so currently this much cardio is how much it takes to make me slightly lose/maintain bodyfat. [/quote]

So basically you walk for 45 minutes, unless ur running at that speed, which I doupt.

I pretty much just job 1.5 miles, time myself, and later try to beat that time, simple as that. I’m in Police Foundations that’s the main reason I picked that distance.

I used to do fasted cardio every morning for 45 minutes but I stopped because I was to tired and felt like I needed more sleep. Now I just do 20 mins of mid intensity cardio at the end of each workout, and I workout 5-6 times a week… my cardio is either bike,incline speedwalk or eliptical

Thanks guys, keep the answer coming.

Another question though. If i decide I just want to do a 10 minute jog (if my legs can handle it) at the end of my lifting sessions, should I still drink half of my Surge during my workout or will the jog waste it away. ANd then I should obviously drink my remaining Surge post-jog correct?

Should I drink half during the workout still or save it all for the end? Or does it matter that much?

I usually jog 1-3 miles 3-4 times a week. Then on saturday mornings i do a 10km run.

So a total of atleast 10 miles a week.

If you’re drinking it throughout your workout then go ahead and drink half of it before. Otherwise leave it all till after your cardio because otherwise you’re going to be burning the calories from your Surge instead of fat. So actually to answer your question if you’re doing cardio leave all your Surge till after.

I do mine after I lift. The intensity and duration is directly dependant on how intense my workout was. On leg day I might only do 10 minutes at low intensity, but I’ll do 30 minutes or some HIIT on a less taxing day like when I train arms.

on weekends I’ll play some basketball at the gym or do some light hill running combined with some jump rope

Weekend is my off days so the cardio doesn’t affect my lifting at all.

This is when I’m not lazy and actually do cardio on weekends. Its seriously dreadful really really boring so repetitive. Thats why I like to play some basketball over just you know mindlessly running. I don’t know how you guys can just run for so long doing the same thing.

Squats

I breakdance 1-2 times week (pretty high intensity) for 1,5h and take a 3 mile jog once a week.
Lifting 4 times a week.

Hmm, I like doing strongman stuff for cardio. Farmer walks and car pushes are on top of my list. Of course, if I lack the necessary resources, I go high intensity on the elliptical machine.

HIIT on treadmill or stairclimber for 5-10 mins pre and post workout 3x week. Plus core/cardio/weakpoint workouts twice a week which usually involves 20-30 min of HIIT. I also walk everywhere I can which isn’t much right now with the sidewalks always covered in snow and ice.

I sip my Surge thoughout the workout no matter what I’m doing and finish it at the end.

Hmm, I think today I’m going to have a 2 scoop Metabolic Drive shake about 20 minutes before I lift so I’ll be nice a full still. Then I’ll lift for about an hour and maybe do a quick 10 minutes HIIT on the treadmill then drink my Surge. I do workout hard and am pretty thrashed at the end but I think I’d rather push myself just a little more with short PWO cardio then go and do a couple low intensity long sessions a week. Anyway we’ll see how it goes.

Keep the responses coming! Ya’ll are really helping.

I make a circuit out of different exercises.

Usually I will do things like

Jump Rope
Burpees
Jump over the Box Jumps
Jump on the Box Jumps
Heavy Medicine Ball Squat Jump Toss off a high concrete wall
1:30 run

I will start a timer on my watch and see how many times I can make it through the circuit in 40 minutes or so. I dont go non-stop, but I dont take much of a rest either. And it is pretty hard.

As maintenance I walk about one hour outdoors 3 or 4 times a week plus jump rope before lifting approx 5 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. If I have time I will jump rope again for a few more minutes.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
I know about the different kinds of cardio and what their for and all that. I dont need that…I’m just out of curiousty wondering what YOU guys do for cardio and how often and for how long.

Tell me
a. what kind of cardio (hiit or low/moderate intensity)
b. how long per session (how many times a week and how many times you lift)

I want to know from guys who use it just to maintain leanness. I dont need to know if you trying to lose weight so your doing a million hours a week or if your “bulking” so you do none.

Please dont tell what you would LIKE to do or what you SHOULD be doing, just tell me what you actually do each week please.

Thanks![/quote]

Currently I am doing 2-3 steady state moderate morning workouts with either a jump-rope or maxed out on the tread climber. [a week, between 20-45 minutes]

Other then that I might get in 2-3 intensity cardio routines at night after I do some weights. I tend to focus more on jump-roping when I’m less worn out and ellipticals when my legs are toast. [20 minutes]

• once in a while I’ll hop onto the treadmill and do 5-10 minutes of steady pace running, then the next 5 minutes I’ll raise the speed up a point until I’m at a all out sprint for 1 full minute. Then a 5 min cooldown. [totalling 20-25 minutes]

I’ll be shifting to a steady incline run outside of my gym of 3-400 yards, then jump-roping at the top, then running back down and jump-roping at the bottom, then running back up. When I’m struggling I’ll just walk til I catch my breathe then repeat for 20-30 minutes.

I masturbate vigorously in the shower before work.