T Nation

What Do You Do After Hitting a 1RM PR?

I’m looking forward to hit my long sought 1RM in bench press. 20 months ago, I barely lifted 95 pounds for 6 reps. In a couple of days I will go for two plates each side (I know I’ll do it, I did 220 pounds yesterday). It clearly isn’t impressing, but that’s not the question.

My main concern is what to do after that? I’m looking forward to do 2 plates for reps.

Finnish the workout and go eat a shit load of good tasting food.

And then start my training cycle all over again.

Well, assuming you actually want to continue progressing, you set a loftier goal, and go after that.

Most of us here are rarely satisfied, despite what we achieve. I think this attitude is what makes one successful in weightlifting.

Congrats on the milestone. Go after a bigger one now. 3 plates.

3 plates. Duh.

�??One thing I know for sure is that satisfied athletes suck�??- Mark Bell

Why are benching today if you benched yesterday? And why maxing 2 days in a row?

Usually after hitting PR’s, I eat a lot of food and take a nap.

When I set PRs, I usually yell and cry with joy and relative disappointment in my inadequacy until I’m so confused that I can’t do anything but put more weight on the bar and PR again.

That didn’t make a damn bit of sense.

Truth be told, I sort of have this unsatisfied but proud feeling that pushes me to the next workout, when I inevitably break that PR or strain myself to hell trying to.

PRs= Post-Workout Chicken, rice, and salsa partay.

BTW, good progress. Keep going

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
Why are benching today if you benched yesterday? And why maxing 2 days in a row?

Usually after hitting PR’s, I eat a lot of food and take a nap.[/quote]

Maxing out twice in one week isn’t usually my thing, I’m just impatient about getting my goal.

And my question was rather about one’s routine and the impact on one’s future training, not about what should be done immediately after that lift.

The first goal I ever set in my weightlifting was to do 205 1 time. I told myself after that I am just going to cut up and rep out 205 for ever.

Well now I am doing 300 8 times and 375 once, your bench will go up as long as you bench a lot and just be safe. Don’t rush too fast and always use a spotter so you can miss that last rep every time you bench.

Also you can increase your max by like 40 lbs just off tech. and grip.

After I do my 1 rep max I normally go back down about 25 lbs and try it a few times, and for long term after my 1 rep max I just max again like a week later.

And what kind of training should I do to continue increasing my strength?

What I’ve done for the past month or so, is go heavy with 3 sets, and aim for 9 to 15 reps. When I achieve that, I upgrade by 5 pounds the following workout and start over.

That will not increase your max greatly at all sorry, try doing sets of 3 working up to your three rep max or your two and getting help (not alot slowly making you work not the spotter)
do 5-8 sets total on your main pressing exercise of this pyramid start low like 135, then go by 20 pounds or so till you hit failure
good work son

In the workout I’d do a backoff set or two 5 mins after this. I’d then do deload for a week and start a new training cycle.

I hit some PRs in bench, squat and DL about a month ago, over the course of 5 days. After that I went on holiday for 5 days.

Yeah, tweaked my back and shoulder on some shite beds and did something to my knee with all that walking. So, maybe don’t go on holiday. Knowing what not to do is just as important :wink:

If you’ve been doing 3 sets of 9-15 reps, go down and do sets with 1-6 reps like a powerlifting max effort day for a while, then on your other upperbody day pick a different exercise, like close grip/floor press/db bench and do your sets with 8-12 reps anywhere from 3-5 sets.

Keep doing whatever you are doing until it stops working. Then do what seems the most logical to you to make it work again. Any random internet advice will not beat your own personal experience.

Good luck on your goal.

[quote]JoeC5267 wrote:
If you’ve been doing 3 sets of 9-15 reps, go down and do sets with 1-6 reps like a powerlifting max effort day for a while, then on your other upperbody day pick a different exercise, like close grip/floor press/db bench and do your sets with 8-12 reps anywhere from 3-5 sets.[/quote]

Oh shit, I think there was something that was misunderstood.

When I said that I go for 3 heavy reps, aiming for 9-15 reps, I meant 9-15 reps in total!

Example : if I do 215 x 5,4,3 which is a total of 12 reps, I bring up the weight the following week by 5 pounds and aim for another 9-15 reps total distributed into 3 sets.

On a side note, I went to the gym earlier today. Nailed that 225 pound bench pretty easily, then followed with 185 lbs, for 8 reps (I’ve never done more than 5 reps with that weight).

[quote]daraz wrote:
Keep doing whatever you are doing until it stops working. Then do what seems the most logical to you to make it work again. Any random internet advice will not beat your own personal experience.

Good luck on your goal.[/quote]

QFT.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
daraz wrote:

Good luck on your goal.

QFT.[/quote]

Huh?

OP: Good job, with 185 for 8 afterwards I have no doubt you can do even better.

Long term the boys are right once you achieve one goal you set another. Short term like during a training session if you PR was 220 and you hit 225 then you should be trying for 230 in that very session. There are exceptions of course. I will admit I don’t push till I miss a ME lift every single ME day but if you don’t find what 101% is you will be stuck at maybe 99%.

Good job on the PR dude! You’ve made amazing progress