What Do you BB Military Press (No Leg Drive)?

It’s relatively new internet slang… I admittedly had to look it up, too.

Like, duh. Obviously.” [Apparently]

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
I only ever really do push press. But I’ll do sets of 5 reps at 225. I don’t really like “strict press” as a comparison lift, because “strict” is pretty subjective.

Well, I think we can agree that, in this case, since the OP’s title says “No leg drive”, “strict” would refer to exactly that.

Still, push presses with 225 are pretty impressive.

But its no standing military 225 for 5 ;-)[/quote]

Yeah, “strict” to me would also include little to no lean back.

I’m going to have to go see how much I can strict press now.

However, I’m going into powerlifting, so I’ve taken the stance that overhead pressing is overrated. =0)

[quote]Affliction wrote:
It’s relatively new internet slang… I admittedly had to look it up, too.

Like, duh. Obviously.” [Apparently][/quote]

Thanks, Affliction!

I just had my first old person moment, I think. I’m only 24 though…damn kids and their…rap music.

/hijack

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
NewDamage wrote:

Yeah, “strict” to me would also include little to no lean back.

I’m going to have to go see how much I can strict press now.

However, I’m going into powerlifting, so I’ve taken the stance that overhead pressing is overrated. =0)[/quote]

With the blow it does to my ego, so do I.

I don’t train it often because when I do, I try to go as heavy as I can and that irritates my shoulders.

Recently, while bulking (getting fat, in my case), I tested it after having not trained the lift, but my bench came up substantially. I was somewhat surprised how much my military improved as well.

135 for 2 reps with collars.

I don’t train shoulders on a regular basis but I’ve hit 380 on a seated military press starting from below my chin. Using the stretch reflex I think I’m good for 405.

Tough lift for me but I have been able to press 165 @ 187lbs.

round 140. G-ddamn, y’all are some strong bastards!

Actually, my military press has stalled because I only did dips for my vertical pushing exercise for like 2 months. So stupid… I think that if I can get my military up to par, my stalled bench press will soon follow.

I can’t comment on how much I lean back because I’ve never paid much attention. So take my lift numbers with a grain of salt. I’m just trying to be up front.

Oddly one of my stronger lifts.

175x4-5.

I don’t really focus on that much, I use it as a bit of a warmup before I do clean & jerks, so I usually do 135lbs 6 to 8 times.

Feet together or it doesn’t count.

jk

I’ll be attempting a 135x4 PR today on the standing press.

180 press
235 push press

When I was a 17 did
140 x 2 seated (no back support feet hooked under bench) 150 milt and 187 Oly press (slump press) in comp weighed around 160
push press 190 x3. so gives you an idea what a good slump press could do. Best bench was 140 x 5 shoulder width.

Dropped pressing after 1972, and my power jerk kept rising up to 242 while I struggled to milt 132, (specificy of training). Was 19

Started benching and then did 198 milt at around 180lbs was 20. Did it cold at a comp walked up to loaded bar between snatch while guys warmed up for jerk, was side ref and bored.

Never did better, could stand db press 95s,
push press 215 x 3 easy milt 154 x5 but never hit cloe to 200 again.

trained with a guy George vasil who did around 214 at 114 when 19 (jr WR)though that was two years before we met.

Good to see interest back in it again.

Now if only they could resurect the slump press…

BW ~190 lbs. Strict press about 185 lbs.
Push Press: 250.8 lbs (114 kg)
Jerk from the rack: 341 lbs (155kg)

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
I don’t train shoulders on a regular basis but I’ve hit 380 on a seated military press starting from below my chin. Using the stretch reflex I think I’m good for 405. [/quote]

Why’d you have to show up and make me feel even worse?

Bastard.

ND, Meat, others who are interested in increasing their raw bench total…

Wendler thinks MP’s are almost unrivaled as an assistance exercise for RAW pressing, how much credence do you put into this?

Personally never did much for me. Although I am fairly tall, I don’t have excessively long arms. I think longer-limbed individuals benefit from it more…

Thoughts?

[quote]Affliction wrote:

Wendler thinks MP’s are almost unrivaled as an assistance exercise for RAW pressing, how much credence do you put into this?

Personally never did much for me. Although I am fairly tall, I don’t have excessively long arms. I think longer-limbed individuals benefit from it more…

Thoughts?[/quote]

i love to press BUT i don’t see any direct carryover from overhead pressing to bench pressing. I DO see a carryover from making the shoulders stronger. Big shoulders = bigger bench.

I think that doing things like heavy lateral raises, face pulls, and upright rows develop more mass in the shoulders.

But pressing heavy weight overhead is just badass!!

Strict press ~135

Push press ~185

It is what it is, and it is improving. I guess that’s what matters.

[quote]Affliction wrote:

Thoughts?[/quote]

Well, getting my bench up has improved my military pressing strength, but I haven’t really tested training my military press consistently while gaining in order to have a good assessment of that theory.

Will in the future, though.