What Do I Work Cleans With?

Just saw the “Ian’s top 10 mass makers” article on Facebook. For mass building, better to pair cleans with deadlift or squat?

[quote]pre04 wrote:
Just saw the “Ian’s top 10 mass makers” article on Facebook. For mass building, better to pair cleans with deadlift or squat?[/quote]

We didn’t deadlift in neither of the college football programs I played at, but we did power cleans always on pull days.

All depends on you and your training program, how many days you workout, what your program looks like, etc. Some guys do a lot better with only 1 major compound movement a day, others can do 2-3.

[quote]pre04 wrote:
Just saw the “Ian’s top 10 mass makers” article on Facebook. For mass building, better to pair cleans with deadlift or squat?[/quote]

Before one and/or the other. “Before” being the important part.

I’ve found doing cleans before deadlifts as part of the warm up saves time and improves my deadlifting. Personally, I prefer jumps before squats.

Optimal is 2, I guess - 3 is too much

[quote]Melo11 wrote:
Optimal is 2, I guess - 3 is too much[/quote]
??

I feel half of this post is missing

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
I’ve found doing cleans before deadlifts as part of the warm up saves time and improves my deadlifting.[/quote]
This. Mechanical advantage work FTW.

Like Daltron said, the context of your overall program is very relevant. But for “mass building”, you could consider pairing cleans with presses, as in, doing the clean and press on a day you’re not squatting or deadlifting. But again, there are more than a few ways to lay out an effective routine.