What Do I Do?

Hi,
I’ve always wanted to know what you do when you mess up a day in a written out routine? Let me explain. I started the Coan/Philipi deadlift routine and gave it a fairly conservative goal, i input into the equations that i have a 520 current deadlift max and in ten weeks, i want a 550. I was following everything to the letter and nailed the first three weeks, week four came around and it prescribed 495x2 and then 5 sets of 3 of 415. I only got 495x1 and slightly off the floor for the 2nd. And i also failed the last rep of the last set of 415, also, the routine only gets harder from here.

So my question is, what do i do now? I’ve always kinda wondered this for any routine ive tried where specific weights were listed for certain weeks, if you fail, what do you do? Do you do that week over? Do you throw in like a recovery week or something (these arent educated guesses, they are just random stabs) Do you just carb the hell up, down some Surge and Spike and stuff and push on hoping you make it? Any help would be appreciated.

When I miss a foal i always repeat that week. im a little obsesive with structure I write everything out ahead of time and set wt goals per wk. if I miss then I repeat. Im far from very knowledgable about whats proper.

Did you by chance get the routine from the Power Page? Its a great routine, I know because that is my site and Eddie put me through that routine. What I would do typically is repeat the work sets the next week, if you get that with ease you can go up 5lbs and do another set. If that doesn’t go up easy on the first try, then you need to reevaluate what your goals were and look to see if you were being to liberal. Be conservative on this program…its designed to work you right up to the meet where you will hit the real PRs…

If I have a deadline, I would drop the 1 rep max value. Performance for reps of a 1 rep max may vary accordingly because of technique, fiber type composition (between individuals, as well as muscle groups).

beef

This is a common consequence of traditional/rigid programs. Has anyone out there besides me gotten a PR totally unexpectedly, at the “wrong” time? There needs to be more of an intuitive/random aspect to most people’s training IMO.

[quote]hareboll wrote:
Hi,
I’ve always wanted to know what you do when you mess up a day in a written out routine? Let me explain. I started the Coan/Philipi deadlift routine and gave it a fairly conservative goal, i input into the equations that i have a 520 current deadlift max and in ten weeks, i want a 550. I was following everything to the letter and nailed the first three weeks, week four came around and it prescribed 495x2 and then 5 sets of 3 of 415. I only got 495x1 and slightly off the floor for the 2nd. And i also failed the last rep of the last set of 415, also, the routine only gets harder from here.

So my question is, what do i do now? I’ve always kinda wondered this for any routine ive tried where specific weights were listed for certain weeks, if you fail, what do you do? Do you do that week over? Do you throw in like a recovery week or something (these arent educated guesses, they are just random stabs) Do you just carb the hell up, down some Surge and Spike and stuff and push on hoping you make it? Any help would be appreciated. [/quote]

Agreed, Charles. You really have to learn to find a happy medium between shooting from the hip and following a program so rigidly that it controls you. Cybernetic periodization is a beautiful thing.

[quote]Charles Staley wrote:
This is a common consequence of traditional/rigid programs. Has anyone out there besides me gotten a PR totally unexpectedly, at the “wrong” time? There needs to be more of an intuitive/random aspect to most people’s training IMO.

hareboll wrote:
Hi,

So my question is, what do i do now? I’ve always kinda wondered this for any routine ive tried where specific weights were listed for certain weeks, if you fail, what do you do? Do you do that week over? Do you throw in like a recovery week or something (these arent educated guesses, they are just random stabs) Do you just carb the hell up, down some Surge and Spike and stuff and push on hoping you make it? Any help would be appreciated.

[/quote]