What Do I Do If I Can't Complete Sets?

First of all, 3x8 means 3 sets of 8 reps, right?

Second, if I perform multiple sets (for the same exercise), should they be spread throughout the day, or should I perform them about 2 min. after each other?

Third, what is a good amount of reps in a set for hypotrophy? (bench pressing in particular)

Finally, if I can only lift about 11 reps for one set, and about 2 min. later, I can only lift 5 reps, what should I do?

Listen man…im about your same age…(15). I was pretty stubborn like you were and didn’t listen to Otep…Stuward etc…all those guys…but they know what they are doing… And i recall them saying that you should bulk before you cut.

Cause … your in no position at all to be cutting right now. Listen to what they say and do what they say and you will see results. I realize you are all concerned about lookin good for the chicks n shit…and so am I…but you just gotta learn to drop that shit…and focus on goals which should be: Bulking …then cutting

[quote]Gigaman.EXE wrote:
First of all, 3x8 means 3 sets of 8 reps, right?
[/quote]

Yes.

Second, if I perform multiple sets (for the same exercise), should they be spread throughout the day, or should I perform them about 2 min. after each other?
[/quote]

Generally speaking, your routine should be done at the same time. Don’t forget to add in 2-3 warmup sets. Personally, I do 30-45 seconds between warmup sets (enough time to switch the plates), and 60-90 seconds between working sets (which are significantly heavier).

Third, what is a good amount of reps in a set for hypotrophy? (bench pressing in particular)
[/quote]

From what I’ve learned (vets please feel free to correct me), the break down goes pretty much like this:

1-3 reps = strength
4-7 reps = strength/size
8-12 reps = size

Finally, if I can only lift about 11 reps for one set, and about 2 min. later, I can only lift 5 reps, what should I do?[/quote]

First off, it would help to know what your routine is, what your experience lifting is, age, weight, and what your diet is. What are your goals?

You need to find weights that will allow you to complete most of your sets and reps, and then work up to completing all your sets, then increase the weight and work your way up to completing all your sets, and so on ad infinitum. Progression is the key to building solide strength and muscle mass.

[quote]JerryRicePwns wrote:
Listen man…im about your same age…(15). I was pretty stubborn like you were and didn’t listen to Otep…Stuward etc…all those guys…but they know what they are doing… And i recall them saying that you should bulk before you cut.

Cause … your in no position at all to be cutting right now. Listen to what they say and do what they say and you will see results. I realize you are all concerned about lookin good for the chicks n shit…and so am I…but you just gotta learn to drop that shit…and focus on goals which should be: Bulking …then cutting[/quote]

+1 for good advice, -1 for reading comprehension. He was asking about hypertrophy, commonly known as bulking.

OP, to answer your questions.
1, yes 3x8 does mean three sets of 8 reps each.
2, Multiple sets should be performed one after another, with between 60-120 seconds rest in between.
3, 8-12 reps
4, If you can’t finish your sets, either use lower weight to start with or reduce your weight for the second and third sets.

I’d recommend looking at the sticks and browsing around the main site.

Should I keep doing 3x5 if I don’t feel fatigued afterwards? I can’t complete the last rep of the last set, but I still don’t feel fatigued as I did when I lifted single sets. Now, I’m going for both strength and size gains. I know this is a stupid question, but I want to make optimal use of my time.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459411

Reps for hypertrophy are a bit more fluid than people realize. For example, 10x3 can be used for hypertrophy.