T Nation

What Do Brits Think of July 4th

This is’t a flame or in your face kind of thing. I am genuinely curious how the British, as close allies, feel about the US and our celebration of our Independence Day. Do you take it as a sleight or laugh and consider us a bunch of crazy barbarians playing with explosives like children?

mike

with hind-sight being what it is , they’re probably glad they got rid of us when they did . so they celebrate it the same as we do

Most of the people I know don’t care at all.

To us it’s an American holiday. Always will be.

They probably wondered how we kicked their asses… twice.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
They probably wondered how we kicked their asses… twice.[/quote]

It would be rather embarrassing if you didn’t kick our asses, considering that Texas ALONE is 6x bigger than our entire country.

…plus you’re pretty good at shooting our boys when we’re on the SAME SIDE, so I imagine you’re phenomenal when you are actually trying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f36gPAfgRMU

Oh, we totally kicked your asses.

[quote]Dave_ wrote:

It would be rather embarrassing if you didn’t kick our asses, considering that Texas ALONE is 6x bigger than our entire country.
[/quote]

I guess I was unaware that Texas was part of the U.S. during either asskicking.

Jingoism is an ugly trait

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

…plus you’re pretty good at shooting our boys when we’re on the SAME SIDE, so I imagine you’re phenomenal when you are actually trying.[/quote]

Texas didn’t exist when we were fighting the revolution. silly.

If you are referencing the world wars with the “shooting out boys” bit you are even sillier. You honestly should have nothing but gratitude for if it wasn’t for us you would be a Nazi family slave right now.

YEAH! AMERICA! FUCK YA! WHOO HOO! RED WHITE AND BLUE OWNS ALL YOU BRITISH BITCHES.

Wait… what was the point of the thread again?

I live in England and nobody really cares about it. Its not just the USA that has an “independance” day from England, plenty off other countries do to, but nobody really cares. I doubt that the majority of people here would even know what it celebrates.

[quote]CantStop wrote:
I live in England and nobody really cares about it. Its not just the USA that has an “independance” day from England, plenty off other countries do to, but nobody really cares. I doubt that the majority of people here would even know what it celebrates.

[/quote]

Thanks, that’s pretty much what I was curious about. I thought once the dumbasses came out I wouldn’t have been able to get a straight answer.

mike

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
CantStop wrote:

Thanks, that’s pretty much what I was curious about. I thought once the dumbasses came out I wouldn’t have been able to get a straight answer.

mike[/quote]

No problem Mike

I didn’t even know it had been, nobody really mentioned it.

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

…plus you’re pretty good at shooting our boys when we’re on the SAME SIDE, so I imagine you’re phenomenal when you are actually trying.[/quote]

The Red Coats made excellent targets!

4th of July, thats the day that falls between 3rd and 5th. That’s how important it is to us.

As for the “special” relationship between the two countries, figment of politicians imagination. Ask the ordinary British people and they’ll tell you otherwise.

The mentality of some of the posts in this thread pretty well justifies the British view of the American “psyche”.

Gazz

Its not a matter of not caring about it but more that we dont have an opinion on it because its an American holiday and not a British one.

I went to a 4th of July celebration once. Big bbq and fireworks. Good fun.

You guys really should thank the French one of these days for their help.

Probably about the same as I feel about May 5th.

[quote]Gazz wrote:

The mentality of some of the posts in this thread pretty well justifies the British view of the American “psyche”.

Gazz [/quote]

So basically the British think they’re better than Americans, and it must be true because of a couple posts you read and didn’t like.

I was under the impression that most British people liked Americans, and vice versa.

I think the 4th of July is celebrated more as the birth of our nation than beating the British. I’ve never heard any mention of anti-British sentiment at a 4th of July event, though it could exist somewhere.

[quote]spiderman739 wrote:
You guys really should thank the French one of these days for their help. [/quote]

Yes, because it’s not like we haven’t repaid that debt many times over.