T Nation

What Diet Worked For You(Except Low Carbs)

I’m sure this has been done before, but what diet has worked for you to get ripped? I’m 21, 6’3", 220 around 11%bf now. Trying to reach 5-6% then I’ll work on mass. Going back to school after almost a 2yr layoff. I’ll be at class a lot so I’m gonna try 5 meals a day. 50%prot (330g)(Chicken + Prot Powder), 30% carbs(200g) (Yams, Maltodextrin in shakes and Broccoli last meal) and 20% fat(60g)(Chicken and Fish Oil Capsules). How’s this sound, need something simple b/c of school. Low carbs havent worked well for me and give me performance problems. So what diet have you guys used that have had a hard time losing fat? I’m looking for any info, macro ratio’s, calories, food choices, etc. Anyone use the Zone/Delta 1250/Carb Cycling from Sliced/Get Lean?

I think for the most part any diet will work if it’s structured correctly. I have become a big fan of the cyclic ketogenic plans, but I have also been cut previously on something similar to what you mentioned (50 pro, 30 carb, 20 fat), utilizing MRP’s, chicken, lean gr. beef, etc. Try a good thermogenic if you can tolerate them, they will help a lot.

The approach I’ve used to get leaner I got from Clarence Bass. He recommends eating minimally processed foods, and eating whenever you get hungry. By eating foods that haven’t been processed, he thinks that your hunger is a good way to guage how much to eat, and will work with your body’s natural BMR. I tried this approach, and have seen great results . I trow in a few cheat days every now and then, but this is the easiest way I have found to get leaner.

I have had some success with moderate to higher carbohydrate intakes (maybe 40% - 60%), but I was eating very high quality carbohydrates and a lot of fish. I don’t think there was anything magical about the tuna. BUT carb choice was critical. When I focused on brown rice, beans, etc. and did not eat any sugar (except post-workout) the results were pretty damn good. Nowadays, I have to stick with the CKD, because I gotta have my ice cream and donuts, and the pump the next day is fantastic. Just watch the calories and keep it clean