What Didn't Work For You?

for me

-bent over barbell rows*
-High intensity training**
-thinking i could lose weight without cardio.

*I do much better with dumbbell rows, hammer rows, or t-bar rows.
**by this i mean Dr.dardens stuff not lifting heavy weight.

contrary to other posters i got my best results (weightloss) doing low carb, and best lean gains doing carb backloading (fairly moderate). But i still have a long way to go compared to most posters here, so grain of salt and all that.

Lat pulldowns never put any meat on my lats, did much better after I switched to doing pullups twice a week. Same with kroc rows, great for lower traps but didn’t do much for my lats. 2 hand DB rows worked better. Db’s works better for chest growth than barbells, and dips work better for triceps than anything I’ve tried.

[quote]Crios wrote:
Lat pulldowns never put any meat on my lats, did much better after I switched to doing pullups twice a week. Same with kroc rows, great for lower traps but didn’t do much for my lats. 2 hand DB rows worked better. Db’s works better for chest growth than barbells, and dips work better for triceps than anything I’ve tried.[/quote]

Small derail, but would you happen to be a fan of Phil Hernon’s principles?

• single bodypart splits ; full body or just upper body lower body always worked better
  • stronglifts 5x5 - it put size on me, but i had to play catch up with my arms because they convince you that benching and pullups are enough for big arms

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]Crios wrote:
Lat pulldowns never put any meat on my lats, did much better after I switched to doing pullups twice a week. Same with kroc rows, great for lower traps but didn’t do much for my lats. 2 hand DB rows worked better. Db’s works better for chest growth than barbells, and dips work better for triceps than anything I’ve tried.[/quote]

Small derail, but would you happen to be a fan of Phil Hernon’s principles? [/quote]

yes, I’m a client of his.

[quote]Crios wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]Crios wrote:

Small derail, but would you happen to be a fan of Phil Hernon’s principles? [/quote]

yes, I’m a client of his.
[/quote]

Awesome. I recently contacted him about working with him. Glad to see someone else on the board who has experience with him. I’ll send you a PM.

Another thing that doesn’t work for me: trying to improve a muscle by hitting it only once a week

Switching from strength trining to body building, made me fat and weak, butt hats how everyone was training in prison. Oh ya being in prison didn’t work fof me.

[quote]Michael Crehan wrote:
Another thing that doesn’t work for me: trying to improve a muscle by hitting it only once a week[/quote]

hahahahahaha

Man I have NEVER understood that approach.

typing on my keyboard

@ anytimeJake— Haha I hate to derail this thread but were you really in prison? Can’t tell if that was sarcasm or not… No disrespect if you were, just curious.

Drinking 5 times a week and trying to make any sort of progress besides getting fat.

Full body training

Supplements (protein powders, creatine, etc)

• lots of sets of low reps (3-5)
  • one set of low reps (3-5)
  • lots of sets of high reps (10-15)
  • one set of high reps (10-15)
  • “pump” training
  • powerbuilding
  • uncontrollable bulking and turning into a fat ass (by bodybuilding standards, normal person acceptable)

[quote]wannabebig250 wrote:

[/quote]

So, um…what exactly does that leave that DID work for you?

Ya started another thread about it in (Get a life) latter

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

So, um…what exactly does that leave that DID work for you?[/quote]

a hybrid of dorian yates HIT and max OT. made more progress in the last month of 2012 than i did all year

Close Grip Bench Press has probably few good uses, sport specific type stuff where pushing/pulling/grappling come into play.

Football, Martial Arts, Wrestling, Hockey, shit like that.

Yes I said SPORT SPECIFIC, because if you think you are going to run fast from hamstring curls and NOT pull a muscle, come pull my finger.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

a hybrid of dorian yates HIT and max OT. made more progress in the last month of 2012 than i did all year[/quote]

Mind elaborating a bit more than that?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[/quote]

a hybrid of dorian yates HIT and max OT. made more progress in the last month of 2012 than i did all year[/quote]

Mind elaborating a bit more than that?[/quote]

sure. basically on my big compounds for that muscle group i do one set in the 4-6 range and a 2nd lighter on in the 6-10 range, both heavy as shit and to complete failure to the point where im grinding out the last rep for a few seconds. only 1 or 2 light warmup sets before those just to get my CNS used to the movement pattern.

on the isolations i do 1 or 2 warmups and one hard set to failure in the 6-10 range.

so back day lets say would be:
pullovers 2 warmup 10-15 reps, 1 work set 6-10 reps
pulldowns 2 wm 8-12, 1 ws 6-10
deadlifts 2 wm 4-6, 1 ws 3-5 1 ws 6-8
dummbbell rows 1 wm, 1 ws 4-6 1 ws 6-10
some upper back row, 2 wm 10-15, 1 ws 6-10
shrugs, 2 wm 8-12, 1 ws 6-12

so for back im ONLY doing 8 work sets to failure, but im completely demolished and sore as fuck the next few days. nothing fancy here, just a balls to the wall approach done in under an hour and going home to eat and recover.

shoulders day, which has put some great size on in a short time compared to the rest of the year was:

smith military press 2 wm 10-15, 1 ws 4-6, 1 ws 6-8
DB lateral raises 1 wm, 1 ws 6-8
machine lateral raises 1 wm, 1 ws 6-10
rear delt machine 2 wm, 1 ws 8-12

very simple stuff. i tried that new fad of doing all your laterals first and hitting presses last…yea, no. my shoulders need some heavy poundages to grow.