T Nation

What Didn't Work For You?

Heavy shit on my arm movements
Besides CGBP once I started doing 10+ reps my elbows started feeling better and I grew faster

Didn’t work for ME:

-Superslow training
-Static Contraction training
-CGBP’s (I just never felt these)
-Upright rows (ditto, just never felt right)
-Barbell bench presses (moved a ton of weight, but never yielded the size I was after)
-Excessive bulking up
-Full ketogenic diets

S

-Face Pulls

-Back Squats (switched completely to front)

-Reverse Hypers

-Hack Squats done with a barbell

definitely agree on close grip bench press—very overated movement for triceps—always felt like crap on my shoulders and caused pain–did little for arm development…i find the hammer dip machine is the best way to hammer in the inner triceps head

[quote]lemony2j wrote:
5x5 for bodybuilding purposes. Seems obvious it wouldn’t work in hindsight but I read a lot of ‘bb’ers’ on these boards saying they are doing this with some success… Is it just me?[/quote]

No, it’s not just you. It helped me build a base of strength but I’ve put on a lot more size doing a different split.

-cutting out back squats
-training less than 5-6 days per week
-low carb when trying to gain muscle
-changing exercises frequently
-strict vegan diet
-stuffing myself with food
-caffeine
-machines
-high reps, although I’m still a bit unsure about this one

GOOD IDEA FOR A THREAD

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
definitely agree on close grip bench press—very overated movement for triceps—always felt like crap on my shoulders and caused pain–did little for arm development…i find the hammer dip machine is the best way to hammer in the inner triceps head[/quote]
close grip all the way

-Bent over barbell rows
-Board presses
-Speed work

Exercises

• Lunges (They stretch but I feel climbing stairs or heavy stup ups do a better job)
  • DB Flyes (I can hold 100lbs at the top, and 20lbs at the bottom; either way I feel like I’m sacrificing something)
  • Close Grip Bench (I prefer close grip overhead work)

Stretches

• Shoulder dislocates (Again, killed my shoulder)

Training Techniques

• “feeling the muscle” (I found as soon as I started to curl the 50’s instead of getting a “solid MMC” with the 20’s did I actually see progress. Oddly enough, I got a better MMC with the 20’s.)
  • 8-12 reps (these just sucked; much rather do 1-5 rep sets)

Diets

• Carb backloading (mostly my fault, I went waaaay overboard)

Starting Strength, and realizing just because somebody does a exercise and got gains from it does not mean you have to do it as well.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]eaboadar wrote:
Seriously though, Low Carb/high Fat diets[/quote]

I’m starting to realize that myself.

[/quote]

Really? For bulking/cutting/maintaining?

And in this case, what does “not working” mean?[/quote]

For cutting. I imagine it would work even worse for bulking. In my case, not working means my muscles felt flat, my strength went missing along with my libido and I felt like killing anyone who would approach me. Plus at the end I ended up looking like at the beginning, but smaller (not leaner).

[quote]Michael Crehan wrote:
-machines
[/quote]

You mean like cars and shit?

[quote]eaboadar wrote:

[quote]Michael Crehan wrote:
-machines
[/quote]

You mean like cars and shit?[/quote]

One can only hope.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
-Bent over barbell rows
-Board presses
-Speed work[/quote]

Bent over rows here as well. Chest supported row seems to hit everything much better and easier on the lower back.

[quote]SSC wrote:
“Powerbuilding”[/quote]

care to expand on this?

[quote]captaina1984 wrote:

-Bent over barbell rows
-Board presses
-Speed work[/quote]

Bent over rows here as well. Chest supported row seems to hit everything much better and easier on the lower back.
[/quote]

The only rows I do anymore are dumbbell rows with one hand braced on something. Everything else blows.

I use this to build up to heavy poundages

http://www.westcarybarbell.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=152

Not having a program. Going to the gym whenever I felt like it, and doing whatever I liked when there led to exercising too much and burning out or being very inconsistent. No work means no progress. Now, I like having defined beginning and endings, goals, and benchmarks, and found I thrive on being on a schedule. Who knew that going to bed at a reasonable time to workout at 5:30a means more energy during the rest of the day?

Dumbbell kickbacks. For some reason one elbow flares out more than the other, and I always think the imbalance causing it will lead to injury. Still trying to figure out what’s going on there.

Toe presses on cable leg press machines where the legs are parallel to the floor. Cannot feel the contraction like with standing bb/db calf raises or even presses on a vertical leg press.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Didn’t work for ME:

-Upright rows (ditto, just never felt right)

S[/quote]

But they are the best for your lateral delts :slight_smile:

What didnt work for me:

Low carb diets–everything ea mentioned, plus some. Oh my fucking holy shitballs do I hate no carb diets, or low carb diets. Must have tried them at least a dozen times over the years.

Early morning workouts. They fucking blow ass chunks. I feel absolutely drained and unfocused the entire rest of the day except for the 1 hour or so sfter the workout where my bpdy is feeling endorphins, and I cant think. I still do them from time to time if my training calls for 2x a days, but they still suck (obviously) just as they did standalone.

“traditional” bent over rows. I think pendlay rows are killer for some things, and I like some of Thib’s variations. But traditional bb style suck for me, get way better results from T-bar rows if I am going to do them with a 45° back, and parallel back works but sorta sucks anyway.

Body part splits. Yes, I went there. Lol :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]captaina1984 wrote:

-Bent over barbell rows
-Board presses
-Speed work[/quote]

[/quote]

x3 I get so much more out of heavy chins.