What Didn't Work For You?

Just trying this from a different angle.

Is there anything you thought would work, tried it, and it really didn’t work for you? GVT? 3x8-12? Starting strength? Lateral raises? Overhead press?

LOL Lateral raises?!!

Dude, just a head’s up…but if people are now badmouthing lateral raises, something is dead wrong.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LOL Lateral raises?!!

Dude, just a head’s up…but if people are now badmouthing lateral raises, something is dead wrong.[/quote]

I think you missed the implied "lol"s.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

LOL Lateral raises?!!

Dude, just a head’s up…but if people are now badmouthing lateral raises, something is dead wrong.[/quote]

I think you missed the implied "lol"s.[/quote]

OK.

I saw people badmouthing overhead presses before and thought I was in crazy land.

It’s like people follow the bro-science like sheep lately.

Venadryl was WAAAAY overhyped.

Venadryl was WAAAAY overhyped.[/quote]

And condoms

For me, Carb Back Loading, HIT, SuperSlow.

Seriously though, Low Carb/high Fat diets

[quote]eaboadar wrote:
Seriously though, Low Carb/high Fat diets[/quote]

I’m starting to realize that myself.

Heavy squats/deadlifts every 2 days…

Another thing that didn’t work for me is cramming huge amounts of food in my mouth to gain weight. After my last cut, I ate basically just enough to feel full, every 2-3 hours, making sure to get enough protein in each meal, and I have since gained 10 pounds of muscle and I can STILL see my abs.

Also, I started with 5x5, and I had kept legs and upper body in the same day, but eventually came to the conclusion that focusing on specific body parts on different days allowed me to give each part the proper intensity. This allowed me to get bigger than I ever have been before. 5x5 IS great for developing a base, in my opinion, but eventually you need to change your routine.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]eaboadar wrote:

[/quote]

Really? For bulking/cutting/maintaining?

And in this case, what does “not working” mean?

“Muscle Confusion”

Too much variation didn’t do much for me. Sticking with an exercise for at least 8 weeks worked the best.

I know Meadows never does the same workout twice, but does anyone know if he keeps the same exercises for a specific amount of time?

LOL Lateral raises?!!

agreed. If I want bigger delts I’ll do…delt exercises and progress on them.

the things that didn’t work for me:

being a bitchass, aka
-being inconsistent with training/diet
-thinking I was either missing or doing something secret. This isn’t that complicated, work to make progress on the lifts, eat, sleep, repeat
-overanalysis, this goes along with the last point. You can’t optimize something that isn’t moving forward. Someone like matt kroc can kick ass because he lifted, ate, and supplemented really well and for a long time. Genetics and the fine tuning of training/diet do make an impact, but everyone can get more muscular and stronger than 99% of the population if they bust ass doing the obvious things

“Powerbuilding”

Posting on the internet

5x5 for bodybuilding purposes. Seems obvious it wouldn’t work in hindsight but I read a lot of ‘bb’ers’ on these boards saying they are doing this with some success… Is it just me?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]eaboadar wrote:

[/quote]

Honestly, I’m starting to suspect this myself. I feel like I may have been ‘drinking the koolaid,’ as it were. Trying to move to a more carb cycle/moderate carb approach.

I’ve been weight training 6-7 days a week for the past two years or so, and I’m starting to suspect that it doesn’t work well.

It strikes me that if this were optimal, people like Shelby Starnes would probably not be doing 4 day/week lifting splits and King of Beef would not be recommending a 5 day split. I mean, it’s not as if they don’t like training.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Is there anything you thought would work, tried it, and it really didn’t work for you? [/quote]

[quote]Iron_Made wrote:
Posting on the internet[/quote]

[quote]eaboadar wrote:
And condoms[/quote]

Lol…Not big on either.