What Did You Learn In School?

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
pookie wrote:
In fact, I’d be hard pressed to find a freedom you enjoy that I don’t.

That is because freedom isn’t granted by government but rather taken away.[/quote]

You really have a gift giving answers that never address the question, don’t you?

What freedom do you enjoy that I don’t? Simple question. Don’t give me a five page philosophical discourse, just tell me, in simple terms, one freedom you have that I don’t.

If don’t know if either you have fucked up schools in the US or we have better ones here, but I see no “state propaganda” in what my daughter learns at her public school. Granted, I feel that the schools mostly waste the kid’s ability to learn and don’t much encourage their natural curiosity, but I take care of that at home.

One thing though, is that some of the stuff she’s exposed to at school or from her friends causes her to ask questions and that sparks discussions about subjects we might not have broached otherwise. That’s part of what I meant when I said to expose your kids to the world.

[quote]pookie wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
pookie wrote:
In fact, I’d be hard pressed to find a freedom you enjoy that I don’t.

That is because freedom isn’t granted by government but rather taken away.

You really have a gift giving answers that never address the question, don’t you?

What freedom do you enjoy that I don’t? Simple question. Don’t give me a five page philosophical discourse, just tell me, in simple terms, one freedom you have that I don’t.

Mikey just wants his children to learn that and not be subjected to the heavy hand of state propaganda that is part and parcel to state education.

If don’t know if either you have fucked up schools in the US or we have better ones here, but I see no “state propaganda” in what my daughter learns at her public school. Granted, I feel that the schools mostly waste the kid’s ability to learn and don’t much encourage their natural curiosity, but I take care of that at home.

One thing though, is that some of the stuff she’s exposed to at school or from her friends causes her to ask questions and that sparks discussions about subjects we might not have broached otherwise. That’s part of what I meant when I said to expose your kids to the world.
[/quote]

I don’t know what freedoms your government has taken away.

I agree about being exposed to the world. I prefer to actually show them the world than point to it in a text book.

The primary purpose of government-run schools is to meet the needs and demands of teachers’ unions. Policy must first and foremost satisfy that.

Allowing home schooling goes contrary to this primary purpose.

And even moreso, allowing school choice is contrary to this primary purpose.

After all, we don’t want competition when our kids our involved. That just wouldn’t be right, teachers and schools having to compete in providing desired quality of teaching or else potentially lose their jobs or revenues. Heaven forfend.

It’s not that they’re “oblivious” to home schooling, nor is that the problem actually driving objection is concern for whether the kids learn equally well or better at home, or for that matter at a private school, or less well. How much the kids learn is not particularly important, relatively speaking to the primary purpose.

Every single thing today. Everything… is motivated by moving the money around to ensure that the right people stay in and expand their power of oversight which in turn makes that task even easier and so on. It is the utter diametric opposite of the intention of the founding fathers.