What Counts As a Plateau?

I was discussing plateaus with a friend of mine and I believe that I have not had one plateau since training started 1 year ago. My friend claims that I have had plateaus but fail to notice them because I keep thorough records and consider an increase of 1 rep in any exercise to be an improvement.

I consider a plateau to be when I do not add more weight or reps for 2 consecutive workouts.

This hasn’t happened yet or is it dependent on how I’m defining it?

[quote]LeanCleanLaw wrote:
I was discussing plateaus with a friend of mine and I believe that I have not had one plateau since training started 1 year ago. My friend claims that I have had plateaus but fail to notice them because I keep thorough records and consider an increase of 1 rep in any exercise to be an improvement.

I consider a plateau to be when I do not add more weight or reps for 2 consecutive workouts.

This hasn’t happened yet or is it dependent on how I’m defining it?[/quote]

Yeah, to a degree it does depend on how you define it. I personally use the same definition that you do.

It’s also not all that unbelievable to think that you haven’t hit any plateaus yet if you’ve only been training for a year.

Why does this matter?

I have been trying to figure out when to change my rep scheme or switch into drop sets etc.

Some claim that if you are on a plateau then that is a good indication that you should do so.

I wouldn’t call it a plateau until you can’t add reps or weight for atleast 3 or 4 sessions. Too many variables. I’ve had bad days where I didn’t move up because maybe I didn’t get enough sleep or eat right or what ever. That doesn’t mean the program I’m using isn’t working for me, but it damn sure isn’t gonna work if I change it the first time I miss an increase.

Plateaus are like recessions, you only know you’ve hit one when you’ve been there a while.

A plateau to me is when i’m no longer sore and my weight and reps don’t go up. When it feels like im doing a chore.