What Could I Add to My Diet?

What I typically eat day in and out:

Whole wheat pancakes, Various Special K cereals, Eggs, Egg whites, Egg beaters, a lot of Chicken, Extra virgin olive oil, Peppers, Brown Rice, Low fat yougurt, Flaxseed bars, A lot of Kashi products, Whole weat bread, multigrain wheat thins…and then obviously some random things once in awhile, but that is about the gist of it.

What can I add to my diet, what can I get rid of, better products?

My goals: Stay muscular, put on more muscle, stay lean. I have managed to get really strong and big without any sort of bulking phase. I am in the best shape of all of my friends yet I would like to take it another step further. Any other foods that would launch me even more forward in muscle building??

One more thing…Also any ideas as what to eat pre-workout?
Some of the supps i use say take on an empty stomach…yet I would still like to eat something for energy.

Timing is as important as what you ate. Post what times you eat.

What you could add:
-more healthy fats: fish oil, nuts, some cuts of meat (ala salmon)
-More variety in protein sources: BEEF, Fish, Salmon, Tuna, etc.
-Broccoli
-A protein supplement

What you can probably cut out:
-Ceareal
-flaxseed bars (mix ground flaxseed in with shakes or oatmeal–apparently we’re not supposed to eat oatmeal anymore, though?)
-Bread

Eat often, and a lot. You can probably handle way more calories than you consume right now.

I do take a protein supplement as well as creatine.
I forgot to post that i eat turkey burgers. I have tried fish oil caps…and they tear my stomach up…gas-wise. Im not a big fish guy, so is there any alternatives there?

[quote]Mach10 wrote:
I do take a protein supplement as well as creatine.
I forgot to post that i eat turkey burgers. I have tried fish oil caps…and they tear my stomach up…gas-wise. Im not a big fish guy, so is there any alternatives there? [/quote]

No, not really. Try different seafood. Or start liking fish. I like salmon and tiliapia a lot. But things like shrimp and scallops are also delicious. TRY THINGS!

Try taking the fish oil with food. I had awful “fish burps” when I first started taking fish oil. I ended up taking 2-3 1g pills before each solid food meal, and had no problems with gas after I started doing that. Worth a shot maybe.

Steak. Milk. Potatoes. Food that builds muscle.

Eggs, a lot of Chicken, Extra virgin olive oil, Peppers, Brown Rice.

Those are the things in your list that are good. Eat more.

You could add, beef, fish, turkey, buffalo, caribou, any other protein source.

How about a green vegetable? Broc, spinach, green beans, collard/mustard greens, kale, cucumbers, celery, etc.

Sweet potatoes, quinoa, organic pasta.

Post a typical day or two of food intake (specifics) and we can help more.

Sunday (off day)

Breakfast: Whole Wheat Pancakes, lite syrup (11am)

Late Breakfast, still hungry: 4 egg omelete, 2 whole eggs, 2 egg beaters, peppers, sausage, cheddar (1pm)

Various Snacks through the day: low fat yogurt, whole grain crackers, rice cake or two, bowl of special k cereal

Dinner: Turkey Breast, mashed potatoes (6:30pm)

Protein shake (8pm)

more snacks listed above

Bed

Saturday (on day)

Breakfast: whey shake, 2 eggs, bowl of special k, 1 banana

Lunch: 1 banana, natural peanut butter + jelly sandwich on whole wheat

Snacks at random times

Lift (creatine, protein)

Dinner: Chicken Breast with olive oil, peppers, brown rice

Late snacks

Bed

*as far as liquid all I drink is water, a lot of it.

This is probably a really dumb question but…when trying to stay lean yet add muscle like I am trying to do…what is the difference between having something in your diet (like broccoli) as oppossed to not having it at all. By not having it you save yourself the calories and effort of making it yet you do not get the nutrition. By having it you get the nutrition…but how far will the nutrition of smaller things (like vegetables) take you???

Veggies are VERY important! Actually eating more green veggies may help you stay lean while gaining weight.

Your diet is pretty much crap.

Search and find Berardi’s 7 Healthy habits.

Off the top of my head, green veggies and fruit at every meal, lean protein at every meal, eat every 2-3 hours, etc.

And you have to eat more than you are eating now. You are eating less than my grandma.

Many of the T-Nation contributors (Thibs, Berardi, Shugart, etc.) are very pro green vegetables. They tend to have so much fiber compared to the amount of calories – that the nutritional benefits far exceed the “cost” in terms of calories. Take a look at a bag of spinach the next time you are at the store. I think a whole bag has something like 20 calories.

[quote]Mach10 wrote:
This is probably a really dumb question but…when trying to stay lean yet add muscle like I am trying to do…what is the difference between having something in your diet (like broccoli) as oppossed to not having it at all. By not having it you save yourself the calories and effort of making it yet you do not get the nutrition. By having it you get the nutrition…but how far will the nutrition of smaller things (like vegetables) take you???[/quote]

I just went grocery shopping today, picked up a ton of vegetables to steam when i have my daily chicken. I bought brocoli, carrots, legumes (never had em),etc. I use olive on in my chicken when i throw it on the Foreman. Anyone use olive oil on their veggies as well??

[quote]Mach10 wrote:
I just went grocery shopping today, picked up a ton of vegetables to steam when i have my daily chicken. I bought brocoli, carrots, legumes (never had em),etc. I use olive on in my chicken when i throw it on the Foreman. Anyone use olive oil on their veggies as well??[/quote]

I keep a bag of frozen mixed vegetables at work. At 3:00 in the afternoon, I nuke a cup of vegetables with some water. When they are done I add salt, pepper and a couple of glugs of olive oil, mix it up and eat it. Nice snack.