What Core Exercises To Increase Squat/Deads?

Just a thought to the original question , try these

Try squat and dead without a belt.

Well fwiw, I have a core of steel and I never do abdominal work. I attribute it to lots of heavy carries, front squats or ssb squats, and atlas stones. Sometimes odd object lifts obverhead play a roll in that too.

Sorry to post an old thread, just doing some late night reading. I started implementing reverse crunches, or “pulldown abs” a while back on and off and have been regularly doing them after deadlifts the last 2-3 months. This was after seeing the movement highly recommended by Louie Simmons, Johnny Candito, Mark Bell and co.

Everyone has their own opinion on certain exercises. Like Wendler has pointed out, some people say squats don’t work. Others say squats and deadlifts are all the ab work you need. Any specific reason as to why you don’t like this particular exercise?

If it is easy to do(require a small amount of effort) like cable pull downs or band pull downs, it is probably not offering that much to your training.

Wouldn’t the difficulty of exercise be determined by the load chosen?

Yes, I,m speaking of the comfort zone. Ab wheel rool outs vs pulldown abs fx.

agreed. Like many others, I tried pulldown abs. All it got me was overworked hip flexors.

The fact is that the ab wheel and hanging leg raises suck, because they are hard. Its why they are a part of my program and I do them every week. Thanks to Jim for cleaning up the crap and making making it easy and clear. Can’t wait for the new book - get working Jim!!!

I use hanging leg raises on my primary squat day. NowI’ve built the strength to not need a Roman chair that is. Agreed they are a killer exercise, I haven’t ever actually used a proper ab wheel (used a barbell, that was just awkward). Hopefully will get my hands on one soon though

I already addressed this above - very clearly. You can choose chump or champ.