T Nation

What Core Exercises To Increase Squat/Deads?

For you guys doing heavy squats and deads, what core exercises do you do or recommend? I’ve felt lately that when I squat or deadlift that could use to strengthen this area and wanted to see what you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Sit-ups, side bends, ab wheel (use weight vest or do this from standing position), hanging leg raises, back raises, reverse hypers: a strong mid-section needs to be trained, especially for the more “average” of lifters. I’ve seen dozens and dozens of athletes and lifters make great strides in their overall strength when time is devoted to these movements. it’s not a coincidence.

Zerchers work too even though people hate them.

Thanks Jim. I noticed that all the recommendations you listed involved actively extending or contracting, do you give any importance to anti-rotational movements? I hear so much about them nowadays.

Also, would you have a preference of a Good Morning, SLDL, or RDL?

That’s interesting. I just read up on zerchers.

I definitely need to improve in this area and Jim always talks about making sure only add lifts that provide benefit, so I’m trying to determine the best 1-2 lifts to add to my routine to supplement the main lifts (squat/deadlift).

So I figured I would ask as there are quite a few guys on here that have much more experience and lift much more weight to see what people recommend.

Thanks for the suggestion.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
Zerchers work too even though people hate them.[/quote]

That’s interesting. I just read up on zerchers.

I definitely need to improve in this area and Jim always talks about making sure only add lifts that provide benefit, so I’m trying to determine the best 1-2 lifts to add to my routine to supplement the main lifts (squat/deadlift).

So I figured I would ask as there are quite a few guys on here that have much more experience and lift much more weight to see what people recommend.

Thanks for the suggestion.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

Interesting. Thanks.

You are better off cutting off your dick and eating it - rather than doing “pulldown abs”. What a worthless exercise. I fell for that exercise and wasted a year of my life. If an exercise can be dumber than Zercher squats, which I thought entirely impossible, it is “pull down abs”.

Everyone is welcome to an opinion but this is just fucking wrong. This ab movement is what lazy people do to think they are doing an ab movement.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
You are better off cutting off your dick and eating it - rather than doing “pulldown abs”. What a worthless exercise. I fell for that exercise and wasted a year of my life. If an exercise can be dumber than Zercher squats, which I thought entirely impossible, it is “pull down abs”.

Everyone is welcome to an opinion but this is just fucking wrong. This ab movement is what lazy people do to think they are doing an ab movement. [/quote]

LOL, there should be a “like” button. I’ll count this as a vote against zerchers as well. Thanks Jim.

So, zercher squats/carries would have no carryover to combat sports, such as sprawling or grappling?

Amen Jim about Zerchers. I remember an article about it being the “most effective squat exercise,” I thought, “well it may be the most effective, but I’m never doing it.” Always looked stupid to me. I’ll do kettlebell front squats, thank you.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

I guess squats, deadlifts, OHP, and carries in general work the core for stabilization, so for additional core training the focus should be on various extensions/contractions type exercises.

[quote]BCFlynn wrote:
Amen Jim about Zerchers. I remember an article about it being the “most effective squat exercise,” I thought, “well it may be the most effective, but I’m never doing it.” Always looked stupid to me. I’ll do kettlebell front squats, thank you.

Merry Christmas to everyone![/quote]

I wonder what genius coined that term for the Zercher. I remember one dude who said something like the overhead squat is the best squat/strength movement one could do. I think it was John Davies? I don’t know or remember but you have to understand that these clowns love to make bold statements about some pretty “standard” things. Like “never walk - crawl like a baby all day. It will increase your life span.” This is so people get all worked up, they write a few articles, get some press and hopefully parlay that into some cash.

Here’s some classics that get redone like popular diets:

• Dumbbells are better than barbells - this comes around every couple years. Very popular with the “my bench always sucked” crowd.

• Is _______ better than DL? The results may surprise you! - the blank is filled in with whatever new “movement” is getting man panties all moist.

• (Running, lifting, sprinting, riding a bike, doing anything hard…) makes you fat! We have the shocking results! - this happens every year or so and just confuses everyone.

*________ food is making you fat/going to kill you. - Happens a couple times/month. People then make statements like “Yeah, I’ve been saying this for years.”

• Squat, bench, deadlift, clean, press, etc. won’t make you big and strong! All lies! - this is usually every 2-3 years. Lots of funny stuff in these gems.

[quote]badboy69cancer wrote:
So, zercher squats/carries would have no carryover to combat sports, such as sprawling or grappling? [/quote]

I think you are confusing GPP and SPP.

Is that exercise the cable cruch? I have just been recommended to do cable crunches by another poster so now I am not so sure.

I’d go with Jim’s advice…

That shit is funny as hell. These are templates to generate income as a PT. The public loves this shit.

Depends though - is the video above the cable crunch? If it is, I will give it a miss. If it is a similar exercise I may give it a try.

Standing abs, cable crunch… same shit. Internet is filled with “awesome breaktrhough” advices about exercise variations, magical set/rep combos, diets etc. Now wonder people get all confused about what to do.

Even in this very site you see articles that goes something like: Tip! Do this (random weird exercise) to maximise your (random muscle) development! Or: Tip! Do these (random set/rep scheme, exicuted in a strange stance/machine/slow/fast/eyes closed…) to maximise your (random muscle) groth rapidly!
These seem to be written by same guys all over again, every week/month/year.

Then there are few, who preach about basic movements, hard/consistend work, proper nutrition, importance of sleep etc. These guys usually have couple decades of training/coaching under their belt and some numbers to show. They stand behind their principals, even though they know its not sexy and many wont listen, cause no one wants to hear that there is no shortcuts to get stronger/better.

I know whos advise I would trust.

In short; Tip! Do Ab wheel/Hanging leg raises/Sit Ups/Back Raises/Reverse Hypers for strong middle section.