What Cookware Are You Using?

[quote]tme wrote:

Cast iron is cheap, non stick and if you take care of it will last virtually forever.

[/quote]

+1

…And it builds your wrist strenghth

I use stainless less, and yes, I scrub my pots and pans a lot. I like how shiny they are though.

If I had the money, I’d invest for my grandchildren and buy all of the LeCreuset range:

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en/Product-Range-uk/Cast-Iron/

Makkun

[quote]MsM wrote:
Really??? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Is it only certain stores? It must be.

Too bad you couldn’t do this with great shoes.[/quote]

I think so - she was introduced to this place at a bridal show, so I think it’s catered towards those of us walking the plank.

So to speak.

I’ve seen your taste in shoes. I, along with the rest of the boys on this site, encourage you to purchase as many as you like.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
Me use fire and stick for cooking.

DB[/quote]

You have a stick??? LUXURY!!!

Actually, I have mostly Calphalon. Amazon had an amazing sale a while back and I bought some great pieces at less than half price. I’m still coveting their big stock pot with the pasta strainer but it seems a bit excessive to pay so much for something you boil noodles and make soups in. I really miss my old cast iron skillet for searing meats and I’m looking for another good one. I highly recommend having one of those around no matter what cookware set you have.

Williams-Sonoma makes a great cast iron skillet and it’s relatively inexpensive.

I am currently using a Calphalon set that I received as a gift. Decent stuff.

Whatever brand you go with, I would avoid dropping a lot of coin on a skillet, as they tend to be the workhorse of the set and they wear out relatively quickly. Better to buy a decent/cheap one and expect to replace it in a year or two.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I use my grandma’s cast iron skillets and griddle

they are worth their weight in gold

they have that seasoned look, nothing sticks to them and they are awesome because they were grandma’s

[/quote]

I want to get some iron, but I’m worried about my OCD cleaning habits. How do you go about cleaning them?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

they have that seasoned look, nothing sticks to them and they are awesome because they were grandma’s

I want to get some iron, but I’m worried about my OCD cleaning habits. How do you go about cleaning them?
[/quote]

Once they’re seasoned, just get one of those plastic scrubby balls and wipe them clean. You can use water to rinse them, but never use soap. Some people just rub them clean with Kosher salt.

Oh yeah, don’t buy the “pre-seasoned” cast iron cookware. Get the virgin iron, rub it with coconut oil (don’t use liquid oil, it has to be solid at room temp, like coconut oil. Some people use lard or solidified bacon grease. I use coconut oil.) and place the pan in a 300 degree oven. After about 15 to 20 minutes, pour out the liquified oil, then put the pan back in the oven to bake for at least one hour.

Voila! Seasoned iron.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Once they’re seasoned, just get one of those plastic scrubby balls and wipe them clean. You can use water to rinse them, but never use soap. Some people just rub them clean with Kosher salt.

Oh yeah, don’t buy the “pre-seasoned” cast iron cookware. Get the virgin iron, rub it with coconut oil (don’t use liquid oil, it has to be solid at room temp, like coconut oil. Some people use lard or solidified bacon grease. I use coconut oil.) and place the pan in a 300 degree oven. After about 15 to 20 minutes, pour out the liquified oil, then put the pan back in the oven to bake for at least one hour.

Voila! Seasoned iron.
[/quote]

I’ve been pretty weary of the pre-seasoned stuff. I’ve had a bitch of a time finding coconut oil so I’ll have to go the lard route. Yay, lard!

Thanks Momma!

[quote]MsM wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
MsM wrote:
http://www.saladmaster.com/index/Products/ProductCategories.nws

The best that I’ve used to date.

When did people start doing pre-wedding gifts? Nice:)

If you would have accepted my proposal you would have known about this.

A girl can dream![/quote]

It would be fantastic, a real Beauty and the Beast wedding. You are Beauty.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
MsM wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
MsM wrote:
http://www.saladmaster.com/index/Products/ProductCategories.nws

The best that I’ve used to date.

When did people start doing pre-wedding gifts? Nice:)

If you would have accepted my proposal you would have known about this.

A girl can dream!

It would be fantastic, a real Beauty and the Beast wedding. You are Beauty.[/quote]

as a bystander, that was a great line, but not a line, but cool

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

I’ve been pretty weary of the pre-seasoned stuff. I’ve had a bitch of a time finding coconut oil so I’ll have to go the lard route. Yay, lard!

Thanks Momma!

[/quote]

Try a place like Trader Joe’s, or a local health food or natural food market. I don’t mind the hippies, they’re afraid of me.

“BAM!”

Offhand I can’t recall the dude’s name who says that, but we use his stainless cookware and I love it.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
“BAM!”

Offhand I can’t recall the dude’s name who says that, but we use his stainless cookware and I love it. [/quote]

Kick it up a notch! Emeril Lagasse is a classic.

Scanpan!

[/quote]

and you can throw that biotch on the grill, too!

they are awesome because they were grandma’s

[/quote]

Ah, Octoba Goil, you hit the nail on the head! I have some really nice cookware, especially for a straight guy, but there ain’ nuthin’ in the world like Grandma’s. Especially Grandma’s cast iron!! I’m lucky, my grandma’ll be 97 in November and still kicks MAJOR ass in the kitchen! She also still has HER mother’s wood burning stove but doesn’t use it a whole lot anymore

[quote]WxHerk wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

they are awesome because they were grandma’s

Ah, Octoba Goil, you hit the nail on the head! I have some really nice cookware, especially for a straight guy, but there ain’ nuthin’ in the world like Grandma’s. Especially Grandma’s cast iron!! I’m lucky, my grandma’ll be 97 in November and still kicks MAJOR ass in the kitchen! She also still has HER mother’s wood burning stove but doesn’t use it a whole lot anymore
[/quote]

Very nice! Grandma’s are amazing, I wish mine were still around.

and about the cast iron, like SteelyD said, you can put those things right on the fire or the grill