What Constitutes Strong?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
To me, the most feasible one would be deadlifts. 500x20 doesn’t seem so bad.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree.[/quote]

Me too…

Johnnytang, You think deadlifting 500x20 is easier to achieve than pressing 315 overhead once, standing?

I’m such a pussy, these numbers are out of my comprehension

To me, strong on the main three lifts is
Bench 315
Squat 315
Dead 405

If big JW thinks a 500 x 20 squat is strong, i wonder what the regular public thinks of it hah

I honestly do know a normal guy that can get 495 for 20. I can personally only get it for 5. But i dont think that 20 is that insane. My opinion.

[quote]TD54 wrote:

Bench 315
Squat 315
Dead 405

If big JW thinks a 500 x 20 squat is strong, i wonder what the regular public thinks of it hah
[/quote]

I guess 495x20 is just weak then. Usually when I see these kind of goals I think it would be a good idea to add them to my lifetime lift goals list (not actual list) but I think I will pass on this one.

[quote]TD54 wrote:

Bench 315
Squat 315
Dead 405

[/quote]

You need to start working out then. And 500x20 is pretty ridiculous, seeing as Tom Platz, possibly the best (or one of) endurance squatter there has been, got it for 23.

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

Bench 315
Squat 315
Dead 405

[/quote]

You need to start working out then. And 500x20 is pretty ridiculous, seeing as Tom Platz, possibly the best (or one of) endurance squatter there has been, got it for 23.[/quote]

I have been working out hard and making some solid progress. Bench is around 265. Squat is 315 and dead is 385. Those numbers i gave are just what i would consider to be a strong person

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

Bench 315
Squat 315
Dead 405

[/quote]

You need to start working out then. And 500x20 is pretty ridiculous, seeing as Tom Platz, possibly the best (or one of) endurance squatter there has been, got it for 23.[/quote]
FWIW I believe that set was after hitting a “max” single of 7 something, also it appears as though he is wearing a squat suit.

so… i worked on two of the lifts tonight after my ME stuff. i left a rep or two in the tank on the bench and definitely had a lot left on the dips. i’ll, hopefully, hit the 315 for a couple more reps next week and i’ll up the dips to 180 + BW.

bench press 315x17

dips BW + 135lbs x 10

i’m going to give the deads a try on thursday.

[quote]RealPC wrote:
Wow this little tid bit from my blog has already caused quite a stir. :slight_smile:

Jim and I talk about this shit offline quite a bit.

Jim is big on rep work obviously and he and I both talk about translation of reps into maxes and of course reps into legit hulking size. We have generally found certain weights x reps for most guys that have X maxes. Again let me state up front, just because you can do 500x20 in the squat or dead doesn’t mean you can single 800 in those lifts. We know that up front. However if you can get to 500x20 in the squat/dead you’re going to be unbelievably massive all over, and of course strong as hell. And I believe that your potential for a higher 1RM single will have gone through the roof as well. A 700 squatter or puller goes from 500x13 to 500x20 in a few months I have no doubt will come back to find his 1RM will improve A LOT over a few weeks of doing singles again.

maraudermeat’s approach of using it as a “back off” is exactly how I do it where I think Jim uses it as a mainstay (he can expound on this if he wants to). I generally do what I call an “over warm up” to a single, then do the reps. Something in the neighborhood of 10-15% over the weight to rep seems to be just right.

You can always think of it as your “assistance” work and stay with a minimalist approach.

There is a lot more to these lifts and numbers than meets the eye. They weren’t thrown out there completely at random.

One thing Jim and I are real big on is hard ass conditioning and being in shape. Something we are both fond of noting is “who gives a shit if you can squat a grand if you can’t do anything with it?” In other words, if you’re a fat out of shape SOB and all you can do is waddle up to a monolift to squat a grand, how functional is your strength? It isn’t. And Jim can speak from experience on that.

One of the reasons chins are in there is because they are such a great mass builder AND because fat guys hate em. It behooves you to be in shape and lean to be good at chins. If you’re carrying a ton of extra fat you aren’t going to be very good at chins more than likely.

Same holds true for 20 rep squats and deads. Generally making those weightsxreps requires a certain degree of conditioning as well as strength.

Be strong AND in good condition. This is HARD. But, it also means you are more awesome and kick more ass.[/quote]

thanks for stopping by and giving some insight into why you chose those numbers. My question for you is - do you know of anyone that have hit all of those numbers? I’m sure it’s been done but I’m just curious by who. I’m also curious as to their size. I’m definitley not lean but feel i do fairly well with the weight I carry.

[quote]pvoosen wrote:

[quote]A Ninny Mouse wrote:

[quote]grettiron wrote:
I saw that too… the only one I’m even remotely close to is 100x10 pullups (PR is 100x5 right now). Gonna go for it!

A 500x20 squat would be unreal.

[/quote]

x2… (not the pullup PR)

I can’t even fathom the kind of person who can hit 500x20 on either lifts. [/quote]

[/quote]

I like Kaz in the background.

Actually I believe anyone who can put 300lb over his head (starting from the floor) “has made it” with regards to weight training.

Doesn’t matter if it is a jerk or a push press.

He would be near the top of the food chain of “serious recreational trainees”.

One of our guys pulled 500 for 14…almost 15 tonight:

I agree about the deadlifts being the most feasible considering with the weights noted it is the thing I could get the most reps in: 4, lol. That would make you one freaky man if you could do all of that. I wish you the best of luck, meat.

Just thinking about 500x20 on squats seems like trying to comprehend how far away the nearest star to our solar system is.

Ive done the 315lb seated overhead and been close on the bench (17-18 reps along back). But the 500lb squat is something i will do someday. Ive done 200kg(445lb) not too long back for 20.
The pullups i will pass on. Not a hope of me pulling that off in this life time. haha

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:
Wow this little tid bit from my blog has already caused quite a stir. :slight_smile:

Jim is big on rep work obviously and he and I both talk about translation of reps into maxes and of course reps into legit hulking size. We have generally found certain weights x reps for most guys that have X maxes. Again let me state up front, just because you can do 500x20 in the squat or dead doesn’t mean you can single 800 in those lifts. We know that up front. However if you can get to 500x20 in the squat/dead you’re going to be unbelievably massive all over, and of course strong as hell. And I believe that your potential for a higher 1RM single will have gone through the roof as well. A 700 squatter or puller goes from 500x13 to 500x20 in a few months I have no doubt will come back to find his 1RM will improve A LOT over a few weeks of doing singles again.

maraudermeat’s approach of using it as a “back off” is exactly how I do it where I think Jim uses it as a mainstay (he can expound on this if he wants to). I generally do what I call an “over warm up” to a single, then do the reps. Something in the neighborhood of 10-15% over the weight to rep seems to be just right.

You can always think of it as your “assistance” work and stay with a minimalist approach.

There is a lot more to these lifts and numbers than meets the eye. They weren’t thrown out there completely at random.

One thing Jim and I are real big on is hard ass conditioning and being in shape. Something we are both fond of noting is “who gives a shit if you can squat a grand if you can’t do anything with it?” In other words, if you’re a fat out of shape SOB and all you can do is waddle up to a monolift to squat a grand, how functional is your strength? It isn’t. And Jim can speak from experience on that.

One of the reasons chins are in there is because they are such a great mass builder AND because fat guys hate em. It behooves you to be in shape and lean to be good at chins. If you’re carrying a ton of extra fat you aren’t going to be very good at chins more than likely.

Same holds true for 20 rep squats and deads. Generally making those weightsxreps requires a certain degree of conditioning as well as strength.

Be strong AND in good condition. This is HARD. But, it also means you are more awesome and kick more ass.[/quote]

thanks for stopping by and giving some insight into why you chose those numbers. My question for you is - do you know of anyone that have hit all of those numbers? I’m sure it’s been done but I’m just curious by who. I’m also curious as to their size. I’m definitley not lean but feel i do fairly well with the weight I carry. [/quote]

A guy on youtube hit 500x20 with some to spare and he did it without shoes on.

I have seen vids of guys claiming 500x20 with the dead but had straps and walked away then resumed the set. I do not count this. I don’t care if it’s touch go or dead stop but it needs to be a continuous set.

I have not seen too many 315 standing overhead presses that are STRICT. I’ve seen lots of heavy push presses and I’m not impressed. A 315 for single overhead press wise is a damn fine lift. Seated isn’t the same. I’ve done 315 seated for a single.

Chin wise, Konstantinovs did 135x4 weighing 285 pounds. And Jesse Murunde did clapping chin ups at 300+ pounds. No one has a reason for avoiding chins other than they are weak at them and they expose the fact that they don’t carry their weight well. If you can’t pull yourself up, you’re too damn fat.

I’ve seen 200x5-7 on dips. Jim did 5. Another guy I know that is a 550+ bencher did 7. Both guys got DEEP into their dips if I remember right.

I’ve never seen anyone curl 185 for reps using strict form.

As noted, we didn’t pick all of this at random. These are all your best basic exercises. If you maxed these out like we talk about here you’re probably going to be as big and as strong as you’re ever going to be. Maybe on one or the other you could add a rep here or there on exercises where you are really strong. But hitting them all would require a level of strength AND conditioning not seen very often even by really elite level guys. You’re not going to pull off high rep squats and deads without being in decent shape and you’re not going to do chins100x10 if you’re super fat.

So I’ve never seen anyone who could hit all of these or get damn close, at one time. I can think of a few guys that probably could on most or could have at one point in time. And yes, they were top elite level powerlifters and strongmen.

But we said it was elite level right?

I may write more about this at my blog this week since people seem so interested. We also have some ideas about accomplishing these kinds of goals.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

To me, the most feasible one would be deadlifts. 500x20 doesn’t seem so bad.[/quote]

Me too…

Johnnytang, You think deadlifting 500x20 is easier to achieve than pressing 315 overhead once, standing?
[/quote]

I think 500x20 in the dead is easier than a strict, standing 315lbs press. Anyone I can think of that can do a 315lbs military press can probably pretty easily do the deadlift, but not the other way around.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Me too…

[/quote]

I think 500x20 in the dead is easier than a strict, standing 315lbs press. Anyone I can think of that can do a 315lbs military press can probably pretty easily do the deadlift, but not the other way around.[/quote]

I have no doubt that I will get a 315 standing military press well before a 500x20 deadlift (assuming I can ever deadlift heavy again). My case is obviously not the norm though, so you’re probably right.

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

thanks for stopping by and giving some insight into why you chose those numbers. My question for you is - do you know of anyone that have hit all of those numbers? I’m sure it’s been done but I’m just curious by who. I’m also curious as to their size. I’m definitley not lean but feel i do fairly well with the weight I carry. [/quote]

A guy on youtube hit 500x20 with some to spare and he did it without shoes on.

I have seen vids of guys claiming 500x20 with the dead but had straps and walked away then resumed the set. I do not count this. I don’t care if it’s touch go or dead stop but it needs to be a continuous set.

I have not seen too many 315 standing overhead presses that are STRICT. I’ve seen lots of heavy push presses and I’m not impressed. A 315 for single overhead press wise is a damn fine lift. Seated isn’t the same. I’ve done 315 seated for a single.

Chin wise, Konstantinovs did 135x4 weighing 285 pounds. And Jesse Murunde did clapping chin ups at 300+ pounds. No one has a reason for avoiding chins other than they are weak at them and they expose the fact that they don’t carry their weight well. If you can’t pull yourself up, you’re too damn fat.

I’ve seen 200x5-7 on dips. Jim did 5. Another guy I know that is a 550+ bencher did 7. Both guys got DEEP into their dips if I remember right.

I’ve never seen anyone curl 185 for reps using strict form.

As noted, we didn’t pick all of this at random. These are all your best basic exercises. If you maxed these out like we talk about here you’re probably going to be as big and as strong as you’re ever going to be. Maybe on one or the other you could add a rep here or there on exercises where you are really strong. But hitting them all would require a level of strength AND conditioning not seen very often even by really elite level guys. You’re not going to pull off high rep squats and deads without being in decent shape and you’re not going to do chins100x10 if you’re super fat.

So I’ve never seen anyone who could hit all of these or get damn close, at one time. I can think of a few guys that probably could on most or could have at one point in time. And yes, they were top elite level powerlifters and strongmen.

But we said it was elite level right?

I may write more about this at my blog this week since people seem so interested. We also have some ideas about accomplishing these kinds of goals. [/quote]

i see now what you are going for- it’s a level of strength AND conditioning. Those 20 rep sets of squats and deads take a great deal of conditioning to do. I’m sure there are some that can do them with long pauses in between reps. What would you consider to be a reasonable amount of time between reps??

for my own goals i’m going to be very happy if i can hit them individually. once i hit one, i’m going to then put my efforts into the others. I’m not going to try and keep them all up at the same time.

thank again for stopping by.

i see now what you are going for- it’s a level of strength AND conditioning. Those 20 rep sets of squats and deads take a great deal of conditioning to do. I’m sure there are some that can do them with long pauses in between reps. What would you consider to be a reasonable amount of time between reps??
[/quote]

I’d be interested in this as well. Particularly as relates to squat vs dead. I recently squatted 400x20. Took me a total of 2 minutes and was definitely not piston-like. But I had the weight on my back the whole time, didn’t rack it til the end, obviously. With deads it’s a little different, since you’re obviously deloading teh weight after each rep (unless you’re doing touch n go) but even with my 531, i’ll still count the rep if i set it down, breath one two three, and pull. But I get what you’re saying taht it’s a slippery slope. Still tho, if it doesn’t HAVE to be touch and go, that means some kind of pause at the bottom is acceptable, which raises the question

Right. We are striving for being strong and in bad ass conditioning at the same time. This can be done, but it is difficult.

Not sure on the rest between reps. That is going to happen a little bit by nature. With squats even strong guys pause a bit between reps when doing 20’s.

My personal standard for the deadlift is that you can’t let go of the bar. That’s it. Once you do the set is over.