what constitues a bad protein

I want to preface this by saying that I don’t want to discuss soy. I know it is not the protein of choice for men. I want to discuss what makes a protein a “bad” source. For example, let’s say I want to buy protein bar X or MRP Y. Someone may say, “they use poor quality proteins”. What is the definition of a poor quality protein? Is it poor bioavailability?

I realize that proteins like whey, casein, and eggs are superior, but does that mean that a steak is a poor protein source?

I guess what I am asking is, how do you know if one company has a “better” protein source than another company. For example, I know Biotest is high quality based on reputation, etc., but I can’t request a certificate of analysis or certificate of origin or batch record on the latest lot of surge.

I was just reading this. Explains alot

Okay. I did read the article. The article made a reference to gelatin being listed as a protein with a BV of zero. How do I know who is doing that? Also, just because a protein is more processed, thus more expensive, does that truly make it better? Is the bioavailability that dramatic between a whey concentrate and an ion exchange whey?

beltar, most of us will seek out proteins other than whey to eat outside of our post work-out shakes (aside from using it in meals alongside another whole food source). So, when I look for a bar to eat, I’d like to see something other than a quick digesting protein like whey. I want casein in my bars and perhaps a little whey. Trouble is, when it comes to making these things, the bottom line is important, so whey is typically the way they go because it’s cheap and most people that buy these bars know nothing about protein and only look at the overall protein quantity in a bar, not caring whether it’s full of whey or soy or whatever, so why would any company bother to make a good quality bar if nobody is interested? Whey is cheap and it is easlity recognizable by the general public as a protein source. When I mention casein to people, they have no idea what I’m talking about. Everyone knows what whey is and it’s cheap. Plus, many of these bars contain low quality whey, which makes the situation worse. Add to that the other shit they put in these bars and you know why I don’t eat them.

Don’t use a bar that uses collagen. Use a bar that uses real sources, such as real meat or whey or casein.

Meat bars…hmmmm.

Cass said she wants my meat bar.