What Coach Would You Work With?

Joe Defranco.

Although, as a NJ Italian, I’m partial to our kind.

But he knows his shit…he’d be my first choice…

[quote]Ethan Mouzon wrote:
Mowgli wrote:
edit
I think people are misreading/not reading the question in his post.

He wants to know which coach you would go with in his situation, attempting a comeback in baseball and in this context. He’s not asking who you would like to train with (given your situation).

Of course if people didn’t read his post, they’re not going to read this one either. I’ll shut up now.

I’d say you probably can’t go wrong with Poliquin

You’re right about people not reading the question right, oh well…
[/quote]

its interesting that still nobody figured it out after that post

[quote]Ethan Mouzon wrote:
I am in Florida and would be looking to move to the area of whatever coach I choose for the time of the training. I only have about 12 weeks max, and would need to begin w/ them in a minimum of about 10 days or so.

in a baseball tryout the first thing you do is run 60 yards…so speed is the absolute most important thing. the baseball tryout is not so far removed from the NFL combine…it’s the same general idea.

that is the reason I thought of Poliquin and Charlie Francis. tomorrow I plan on contacting Charles Staley and Joe Defranco to see what, if anything I could do with them.

has anyone ever worked with any of the coaches that have been listed?[/quote]

I think we’ve all heard nothing but good things about DeFranco. Of course, he is over here in NJ. There’s a thread around about one of his athletes at the NFL combine, and how good he did (not baseball I know, but it proves the guy knows what he’s doing).

DeFranco trains athletes, not bodybuilders. His athletes have alot of success…it might be worth it.

Especially, as you said, being 26 and not really having another crack at the majors.

Good luck!

if i were you id train with a BASEBALL COACH

i dont know what Poliquin knows about baseball, i dont know what francis knows about baseball, i know that Eric Cressey loves to watch it…

but seriously, im a huge francis fan, if i could talk and hang out with any coach in the world it would probably be him… especially if i were a runner…

but trying to train wiht a sprint coach as prep for baseball???

Poliquin’s trained a bunch of people and when hes not making rather insane claims hes training successfull people but have any of them been baseball players???

id find a baseball coach…

If you are in florida i think i may have the perfect option for you. I played professional baseball and am playing again this summer after a layoff due to my moms death. Am also 26. I spent a summer a few years back at bolletieri sports academy in Bradenton. They have a baseball academy there with all ex major league coaches to work with. if you have talent, they will shake the rust off and yu will get better FAST.

In addition, you get 6 days a week at their international performance institute. I dropped 3 tenths of a second off my 60 in 3 months and got much stronger. The whole place is amazing. You can check it out at imgacademies.com. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me. hope that helped.

in addition to other stuff

if you want a fast 60 talk to francis… simple as that, fuck anyone else… no one will be close over the long term atleast…

if you want a good combine result in a short period of time talk to parisi or DeFranco or someone that will teach you how to get the most out of every single test…

if you want to get good at baseball though talk to a baseball coach…

[quote]If you are in florida i think i may have the perfect option for you. I played professional baseball and am playing again this summer after a layoff due to my moms death. Am also 26. I spent a summer a few years back at bolletieri sports academy in Bradenton. They have a baseball academy there with all ex major league coaches to work with. if you have talent, they will shake the rust off and yu will get better FAST.

In addition, you get 6 days a week at their international performance institute. I dropped 3 tenths of a second off my 60 in 3 months and got much stronger. The whole place is amazing. You can check it out at imgacademies.com. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me. hope that helped. [/quote]

Best response so far. Why is it that people are always so intent on taking the “sport” out of sport?

You don’t go to a tree trimmer to get a haircut and you’re not gonna be a better baseball player unless you play baseball.

If you are looking to get stronger and faster I’d reccomend Parisi Speed school or DeFranco. But if it’s your baseball skills that you want to work on I’d go with the IMG academy suggestion.

I am a big fan of myself.

Good luck. I think all coaches listed in the replies are very good. John Davies is a personal friend. Tom Shaw and I have worked with some of the same athletes, although, I have never met him.

Take Care.

[quote]Chris Aus wrote:
in addition to other stuff

if you want a fast 60 talk to francis… simple as that, fuck anyone else… no one will be close over the long term atleast…

if you want a good combine result in a short period of time talk to parisi or DeFranco or someone that will teach you how to get the most out of every single test…

if you want to get good at baseball though talk to a baseball coach…[/quote]

I second chris’s opinion

For speed think francis.

If you are actually looking to improve combine results more than “performance” think parisi or defranco.

Not that parisi and DeFranco cannot improve performance, but they are really good at improving combine results in a short period of time. I know they are also solid strength coached as well. So they may be your best bet. You get combine specific training with some of the best AND work with excellent strength coaches

I’ll throw a few more names into the fire

Vestergen in AZ works with pro ball players so check him out

Also Brad Nuttall of inno-sport fame may be good (also in AZ). He is “controversial” with the whole DB hammer thing, but I believe he did play pro baseball and I’m fairly certain he has a few MLBers in his stable. A couple years ago I had a couple ball players I was working with, HS, and Brad was an awesome resource for me. So you may give him a shot

Not fellow T-Nationers feel free to flame the sh*t out of me for reccomending Brad. I can take it I swear

So in no particualr order for your short term goals and considering your sport

DeFranco
Parisi
Nuttall
Vestergen, or however his name is spelled

Didn’t realize you were on the East Coast.

Get up to NJ and work either with DeFranco, Martin Rooney (at Parisi’s)or Jason Ferrugia. All three are great choices on the East Coast.

I’d go with Poliquin. He has amazing knowledge and experience with getting athletes in top shape in record time. You need someone who can get you lean and me in no time flat and i’ve attended a couple of his seminars and he’s worth every penny.

I’ve also been to some of the other coaches and they are definitely great coaches, but I’d favor Poliquin if he’s able to take you on. Good luck with the search and keep us posted with which coach you go with and what type of training you’ll be doing. Take those before and after photos!

laquino1

[quote]Neuro Muscular wrote:
Didn’t realize you were on the East Coast.

Get up to NJ and work either with DeFranco, Martin Rooney (at Parisi’s)or Jason Ferrugia. All three are great choices on the East Coast.
[/quote]

I would go with Jason Ferruggia over anyone else, really, given his experience in working specifically with baseball players. Plus he is one of the EliteFTS guys, all of whom are top notch.

[quote]nhiron wrote:
If you are looking to get stronger and faster I’d reccomend Parisi Speed school or DeFranco. But if it’s your baseball skills that you want to work on I’d go with the IMG academy suggestion.[/quote]

I’ve seen guys with good results from Parisi, although only the football guys I used to know in high school.

[quote]Jesse Cohen wrote:
Jesse Cohen wrote:
Poliquin.

I changed my mind. Either John Basedow or Tony Little.

how about jack lalane he’s my hero next to the ultimate RICHARD SIMMONS.[/quote]

yeah give ole dick a try