T Nation

What Carbs Will Give Me More Energy?

I personally think I get the most out of potatoes. What other foods will give me more energy?

it’s great you get an energy rush from carbs, for a lot of folks they tend to get a little lethargic if they eat a large amount of simple carbs.

Now I realize you didn’t say you ate a large amount.

In fact I noticed that Thibs has been suggesting folks have carbs before bed to aid in sleep, refill glycogen, and you sleep through the carb cravings some folks get from eating carbs.

have you tried sweet potatoes?

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

it’s great you get an energy rush from carbs, for a lot of folks they tend to get a little lethargic if they eat a large amount of simple carbs.

In fact I noticed that Thibs has been suggesting folks have carbs before bed to aid in sleep, refill glycogen, and you sleep through the carb cravings some folks get from eating carbs.

[/quote]

Nope, never had them.

try different kinds of carbs in the morning and see which ones work for you.

what I do is an hour before I go in I will drink a gatorade and during my work out I will suck on a few jolly ranchers.
not alot like 2-3 of them
I found the sugar in them helps me alot because I have no refined sugar at all any other times and I have very little carbs.

if I do not have this little bit of sugar I get light headed during the work outs and I also get DOMS bad at times.
these dont happen when I have the sugar.

as for energy I do not get an energy boost from carbs at all so to speak.
I do feel better and have more energy to burn but its like if I eat oatmeal the day before then I feel a little better.
I am going to be trying sweet potatoes at night myself pretty soon see how I handle it.

maybe try sweet potatoes and some fruit?
oatmeal is good too.

[quote]TheBig3 wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Nope, never had them.[/quote]

You might want to give them a try.

regarding energy, you might want to try a citrus fruit or pineapple prior to a workout. The vitamin C will help with cortisol and the sugars will give you some energy.

I also like Spike before a workout

carbs are better PWO if bodyfat isn’t an issue.

Not sure whether you’ve heard of taro root before. I usually have taro root added into my oats in the morning and before workouts and i have a lot of it but never seem to become tired or lethargic afterwards. The taro root is also toxic when its uncooked due to calcium oxalate i think. So you should use gloves when handling it because the juices from the root can cause skin irritations.

[quote]un33q wrote:
Not sure whether you’ve heard of taro root before. I usually have taro root added into my oats in the morning and before workouts and i have a lot of it but never seem to become tired or lethargic afterwards. The taro root is also toxic when its uncooked due to calcium oxalate i think. So you should use gloves when handling it because the juices from the root can cause skin irritations.[/quote]

I never heard of adding taro to your food like that
I know its made into poi which isnt as tasty as you would think,not to me anyways

I use dried taro or arrow root to thicken sauces like one would use corn starch or flour

heard on dirty jobs on tv the guy asked well if its edible can you eat it like an apple

farmer said well you can but theres a minor discomfort kind of like eating glass
thought that was funny

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
TheBig3 wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Nope, never had them.

You might want to give them a try.

regarding energy, you might want to try a citrus fruit or pineapple prior to a workout. The vitamin C will help with cortisol and the sugars will give you some energy.

I also like Spike before a workout

carbs are better PWO if bodyfat isn’t an issue.

[/quote]

Spike shooters are intense!!! I had one of those before a workout and my HR was through the roof…I also couldn’t sleep that night…I guess that’s what 300 mg of caffeine will do to ya

[quote]normanut wrote:
Spike shooters are intense!!! I had one of those before a workout and my HR was through the roof…I also couldn’t sleep that night…I guess that’s what 300 mg of caffeine will do to ya[/quote]

Did you happen to follow the instructions and just have half the can the first time?

oatmeal anyone ?

and I swear my body temp goes up shortly afterward