What Can Substitute Pull-Ups?

Im having trouble finding chinup*bars where I am currently located, is there anything I can do to simulate pullups? All I have here is weights.

tree branch?
squat rack?
playground monkey bars?

Yeah, here its more like… hang off the hotel balcony and fall to the never ending city beneath me. Does that clear things up about where I am?

There’s no squat rack.

Two chairs and a broom stick. Do BW rows aka (fat man pullups) Just about as hard as pullups and if you do them controlled they should be enough resistance temporarily.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Two chairs and a broom stick. Do BW rows aka (fat man pullups) Just about as hard as pullups and if you do them controlled they should be enough resistance temporarily.[/quote]

uhh.
ok. i think i can do that.
thanks.

Do you have anything that you could do dips on?

Its quite a stretch but dips do work the lats to an extent.

How are you 117 pounds and dating Hayden Penettiere?

hanging upside down reverse military presses

Yes i just made that up.

On a more serious note, buy a pipe, broomstick whatever. Drill 2 holes in the doorway and stick the long, hard rod(whatever kind you picked) through the holes. Precede to do chinups on your hard rod.

[quote]MtbKid wrote:
On a more serious note, buy a pipe, broomstick whatever. Drill 2 holes in the doorway and stick the long, hard rod(whatever kind you picked) through the holes. Precede to do chinups on your hard rod.[/quote]

I don’t remember T-Nation being this gay three years ago.

Find a ledge to hang from and just pull.

Nothing can replace chin ups because it is one of the basic exercise that requires you to pull against gravity.

how 'bout just ordering a chinup bar?

[quote]doosl wrote:
how 'bout just ordering a chinup bar?[/quote]

Exactly. There are all sorts of chinup bars that you can put in your doorway. It really isn’t that hard…

[quote]dankid wrote:
Two chairs and a broom stick. Do BW rows aka (fat man pullups) Just about as hard as pullups and if you do them controlled they should be enough resistance temporarily.[/quote]

rowing is not a substitute for vertical pulling. You should do both.

you could hang a heavy weight over the ledge of your balcony with a rope and row with it

Buy a cooler, like the kind used for camping, fill it with a substance to the appropriate weight and do bent over rows. The coolers carrying handles will dictate the grip you use.

The cooler I used gave me a neutral grip and was filled with roast beef when I worked in a kitchen.

[quote]dmunro wrote:
Buy a cooler, like the kind used for camping, fill it with a substance to the appropriate weight and do bent over rows. The coolers carrying handles will dictate the grip you use.

The cooler I used gave me a neutral grip and was filled with roast beef when I worked in a kitchen. [/quote]

Like someone else said, rowing is not equivalent to pull-ups/chin-ups/pull-downs (none of which are exactly equivalent to each other, but all fit the same category).

Door pull-ups, anyone? C’mon now…

Apologies for hijacking this post, but I’m in a similar position - kinda. I do have a bar I can use, I just can’t do pull-ups…not even one. My aim is to be able to do pull-ups and incorporate them into my workout. To meet my goal I’ve been doing some assisted pull-ups, negatives, a few chins (can do about 4-5) and some pulldowns. Is this the right thing to do? I know I need to gain strength - but what’s the best way to do this?

I’m fed up of feeling like a idiot doing negatives so this is real motivation!!

Chin ups really are the best but, if they really are not an option a good exercise you could do for lats using dumbells would be:

1. Get into position like you are getting to do a dumbell row using both dumbells at the same time
  2. instead of rowing the weight back keep your arms locked and swing them back so your thumbs finish behind your waist.

Admittidly, not the best exercise description but, hopefully that helps.