T Nation

What Can I Mix Protein Powder With?

I drink vanilla flavor protein powder with some strawberries and half a banana and it tastes AWESOME!!

But I noticed i get acne from the milk, because the sugar in it or something, so I gotta find something else to mix it with, anything else thats good besides water?

Thanks , hope its not a dumb question.

Why not water??

any liquid watch acidic stuff like OJ it will clot the protein if using it put a bit of baking soda in first to change the PH.

Phill

Join John Berardi’s site and get into the forums there. There a a ton of recipes for everything from shakes that are esentially liquid salads to some that are desserts.

Plus JB is a nutrition genius.

Ten ounces of grape juice has about 40gm of sugar. If you mix it with a protein powder (the non-PWO specialty drinks usually have about 4 gm of carbs) you’ll have the 2-1 carb to protein ratio.

[quote]dancar wrote:
Ten ounces of grape juice
[/quote]

dude this sounds horrible. chocolate grapes, mmm mmm good! Granted watch me try it and it rocks, but it doesnt sound great :wink:

long answer short, do what hankr said.

[quote]eclypse wrote:
dancar wrote:
Ten ounces of grape juice

dude this sounds horrible. chocolate grapes, mmm mmm good! Granted watch me try it and it rocks, but it doesnt sound great :wink:

long answer short, do what hankr said.[/quote]

The guy said he was using vanilla protein, not chocolate. Actually mixing juice in with vanilla protein tastes pretty good.

OP- not sure if you are trying to create just a better tasting protein shake or if this is some sort of PWO concoction, but you really don’t need milk either way. There is enough protein in the powder alone and adding in the milk is just redundant (IMO). Just use water, as Phill said, and save your fruit for an actual meal where you can enjoy it.

[quote]fabmxer wrote:
I drink vanilla flavor protein powder with some strawberries and half a banana and it tastes AWESOME!!

But I noticed i get acne from the milk, because the sugar in it or something, so I gotta find something else to mix it with, anything else thats good besides water?

Thanks , hope its not a dumb question.[/quote]

Hi, not a dumb question, but i wonder, are you sure it’s the milk?
have you tried eliminating other factors such as vanilla flavor protein powder, strawberries and the banana. It could be an allergic reaction to any of these food substances. Or any aditives, (flavours ect.) in the whey protien. Doesn’t the protien powder have carbohydrate / suger in it? If so is this added sugers or part of the protien compound?

Get some Metabolic Drive. All you need is water and it tastes great.

Actually I have found mixing my protein with cottage cheese or yogurt creates more of a meal as opposed to jsut a drink. This way you can add your berries and ground flax and it turns into more of a dessert or pudding.

And if you use Metabolic Drive or another casein protein, and use only about 2 tablespoons of water it makes the proteins taste like cake icing, and then you could always add berries or chopped apples to it after. Tasty

[quote]greens+ wrote:
Actually I have found mixing my protein with cottage cheese or yogurt creates more of a meal as opposed to jsut a drink. This way you can add your berries and ground flax and it turns into more of a dessert or pudding.
[/quote]

haha, i still think you guys are gross. Milk or water, man, not cottage cheese and fruit juice!

[quote]greens+ wrote:
And if you use Metabolic Drive or another casein protein, and use only about 2 tablespoons of water it makes the proteins taste like cake icing, and then you could always add berries or chopped apples to it after. Tasty[/quote]

This sounds more like it. I’ve mixed fruit and other shit to make smoothie-like protein shakes that are really good. Really filling too if you’re on the go.

Ok I will try water again, but I tried it a couple times and it just tastes really gross for some reason, maybe I put too much water I have no idea, I will experiment with it.

And my protein powder has very little sugar, like a couple grams only.

I will also try the juice idea…

Thanks for the help.

Ok I will try water again, but I tried it a couple times and it just tastes really gross for some reason, maybe I put too much water I have no idea, I will experiment with it.

And my protein poweder has very little sugar, like a couple grams only.

I will also try the jucie idea…

Thanks for the help.

I mix my protien pwder with cottage cheese, yogurt or both. Sometimes with a raw egg.